PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > Before You Buy

Before You Buy Have questions about PhotoPost, ReviewPost and/or PhotoPost Classifieds before you buy?

Old April 23rd, 2004, 02:26 AM   #1
memobug
Verified Customer

Zip Code to distance feature

I didn't see the Zip code feature from the demo site documented in the feature set. Is that a standard feature?

(I searched the page on ZIP, CODE and DISTANCE but didn't see anything)

Regards,

Matt
memobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 07:52 AM   #2
Michael P
PhotoPost Developer
Verified Customer

It's not a standard feature, but I'll document it. That is because I use a commercial zip code database which requires that it be purchased seperately (like $30).
Old April 23rd, 2004, 02:08 PM   #3
memobug
Verified Customer

I would appreciate it if you would document the feature. I am disappointed because I bought photopost classifieds last night on the strength of that demo, and probably wouldn't have done that if I had known the true details.. You should not use a non-standard installation as an demo!

If you do include features in the demo that are not accessible to the end user, you should explicitly indicate that both on the demo and on the feature list. Otherwise, the demo is not a demo.

What other features present in the demo are not included in the software I purchased?

Regards,

Matt
Old April 23rd, 2004, 03:16 PM   #4
Michael P
PhotoPost Developer
Verified Customer

The list of features for Classifieds is pretty explicit and in the PhotoPost Classifieds thread I specifically state that the zip code is not a feature included. Keep in mind, viperalley is an active community site - not a "demo" site.

http://www.photopostdev.com/classifieds has a non-altered version which is more of a "demo" which you can play with, but ViperAlley is shown as an example of an integration being used (like a "Site In Action").

My understanding is you are talking to Scott about this, so I'll leave it to you two.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 05:07 PM   #5
Johnny Doomo
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by memobug
I would appreciate it if you would document the feature. I am disappointed because I bought photopost classifieds last night on the strength of that demo, and probably wouldn't have done that if I had known the true details.. You should not use a non-standard installation as an demo!

If you do include features in the demo that are not accessible to the end user, you should explicitly indicate that both on the demo and on the feature list. Otherwise, the demo is not a demo.

What other features present in the demo are not included in the software I purchased?

Regards,

Matt
What did you expect when you buy software the day after it's announced? I always thought it was the buyers job to make sure they know what they're buying, but the seller. Maybe it's just me, but if that single feature was such an important one, IMO you should asked to make sure.
Johnny Doomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 05:44 PM   #6
MDE
Verified Customer

I'm guessing he probably didn't expect to be verbally abused by some immature *******.
MDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 06:24 PM   #7
Johnny Doomo
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDE
I'm guessing he probably didn't expect to be verbally abused by some immature *******.
Guess he must be a noob on the Internet if he didn't expect that. haha Plus, we outnumber you mature type 16 to 1 :P
Old April 23rd, 2004, 08:21 PM   #8
Bryan Ex
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Doomo
Maybe it's just me, but if that single feature was such an important one, IMO you should asked to make sure.
Wow! I guess I'm lucky then because I never thought to ask if I could actually upload photos to photopost before I purchased it. Not sure what your deal is johnny... but it sure "ain't" helpful.

(not likely your intentions anyway so I guess it doesn't matter much)
Bryan Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 08:48 PM   #9
Johnny Doomo
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ex
Wow! I guess I'm lucky then because I never thought to ask if I could actually upload photos to photopost before I purchased it. Not sure what your deal is johnny... but it sure "ain't" helpful.

(not likely your intentions anyway so I guess it doesn't matter much)
The main purpose of photopost is to post photos. The main purpose of classifieds isn't to rate or to put in a zipcode. All I'm saying is that buying a program like this without doing any research or only seeing a single demo (one that is run by the owner/programer) as well isn't the best use of judgement to base an opinion on buying the software IMO. That's just my opinion, if you have a beef with it oh well, because everybody has an opinion and that was mine.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 09:27 PM   #10
Bryan Ex
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Doomo
The main purpose of photopost is to post photos.
Yeah... I see your point. My apologizes! I should have asked if I could actually post comments using the comment feature.

Besides the fact that you are obviously trolling these waters, the whole zip code thing is limited anyway unless you are catering to a localized US market.

Sir Steve... how far is it from Canada to that Yoda figure?

Cavy... how far is it to that sexy Guinea pig of yours for anyone in the UK?

Omega... how far is it to pick up that nice Salmon steak... I mean Angel fish?
Old April 24th, 2004, 11:29 AM   #11
CavySpirit
Verified Customer

Quote:
Cavy... how far is it to that sexy Guinea pig of yours for anyone in the UK?
Hey, if you want a sexy cavy in the UK, I can find you one.

I really need that zip code feature. When I was looking at commercial zip code apps to integrate into PP, I did come across one that includes the UK. Probably 80% of my users are US, maybe 10% UK, and the rest from a lot of other countries around the world.

I have two applications I need the zip code thing for. One for the new installation of PP Classifieds which I hope to have time today to install and also for a highly hacked version of RP.

You might find it interesting to check out. I had to convert RP into a half-assed relational database. The entire site isn't done yet, and we are working on loading the vet records from a lot of sources (time-consuming), but you get the idea and it's easy to see how the zip code feature would play in nicely. Also, this is an all text app, no photos. www.guineapigvets.com.

In looking at zip code apps, I've already added latitude and longitude fields in addition to county and zip to my cavy vets site. Not sure what else is needed, but I'm ready to do it.

So, any direction/documentation/info on the zip code mod would be greatly appreciated.
CavySpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2004, 12:37 PM   #12
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Quote:
Omega... how far is it to pick up that nice Salmon steak... I mean Angel fish?
LOL Yeah know I really don't care as long as I get to dive and view the coral reefs up close and personal

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2004, 05:38 PM   #13
Johnny Doomo
Verified Customer

Quote:
Yeah... I see your point. My apologizes!
Just don't let me catch you being stupid again.
Old April 24th, 2004, 05:51 PM   #14
Bryan Ex
Verified Customer

No promises...
Old April 26th, 2004, 03:37 PM   #15
Michael P
PhotoPost Developer
Verified Customer

http://www.zipcodedownload.com/ is where I purchased the database I use. There are a couple mods to the showcat.php and showcat.tmpl files to implement this feature which I will get around to documenting soon.
Old April 26th, 2004, 04:50 PM   #16
memobug
Verified Customer

Which version was it, Michael? Was it the premium edition, in order to get Lat & Longitude?

ZIP Code Database, Commercial Edition - USA - $39.95
Includes ZIP Code, primary city, alternate cities, county & county FIPS information, state & state FIPS, MSA code, area code, time zone, Daylight Savings flag, and individually certified latitude & longitude coordinates.

ZIP Code Database, Premium Edition - USA - $29.95
Includes: ZIP Code, primary city, alternate cities, state, area code, and individually certified latitude & longitude coordinates

ZIP Code Database, Basic Edition - USA - $19.95
Includes ZIP Code, primary city, and state.

Regards,

Matt
Old April 26th, 2004, 06:59 PM   #17
CavySpirit
Verified Customer

Looks like you need the database Premium Edition: $29.99 or ($60 with quarterly updates for a year) and the Distance & Radius Assistant with Source Code (for PHP) for $79.99? Otherwise, how do you calculate the distances?
Old April 26th, 2004, 07:04 PM   #18
Michael P
PhotoPost Developer
Verified Customer

I purchased the $30 one without the updates. You don't need the source code as I will provide the actual code you need to use.
Old April 26th, 2004, 08:20 PM   #19
CavySpirit
Verified Customer

Okay. Sign me up.
Old April 26th, 2004, 08:25 PM   #20
Michael P
PhotoPost Developer
Verified Customer

I'm working on the documentation for the 1.1 update; should have something this week. Just added it to the ViperAlley upgrade for 1.1.

http://www.viperalley.com/classifieds/showcat.php?cat=2