PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > Before You Buy

Before You Buy Have questions about PhotoPost, ReviewPost and/or PhotoPost Classifieds before you buy?

Old March 17th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #1
Alfa1
Verified Customer

Full XenForo integration?

Hi Chuck,

I am doing tests with XenForo, because I'm moving my big board away from vbulletin.

I remember reading last year there where integration issues with XenForo, as it was not possible to do a full integration with XenForo. Has this been resolved yet?
If not, then please consider to contact XenForo to seek a solution. I'm sure they will be interested in helping you, as its in their interest too.

Also: XenForo resource manager is being released this month. Do you have any plans to provide an integration between PP and XF resource Manager?
Would you consider this?
The resource manager has hooks, so it will be possible to write an addon to display a 'gallery' tab in the RM and display content from a PP category.

Sorry about posting in the presales forum, but as my current license is inactive its the only forum I can post to.
Alfa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 07:25 PM   #2
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

I have responded about this issue in other threads. I know when I wrote the integration there was no possibility to do enhanced integration because there is no way to include some global file from xenforo and then use a variable like $header and $footer to print the xenforo header footer. I would suspect this is still true.

I responded recently asking two separate users to do two things. One since they are supported xenforo customers and can access xenforo support to ask if there is the ability that they can create there own custom page and use the xenforo header footer by including some global file and using a header footer variable to print those things. That would give you and I both the quickest answer. Two I asked for access to look at there xenforo code to see if anything changed. To date I have not received any reply from either user. I heard in threads I will set things up and let you know. That was awhile ago.

I also went into the fact that we have only like 5 xenforo customers maybe 10 at most. Not to be harsh but this means that 1/250th to 1/500th of a percent of our customer base uses xenforo. That is not alot of incentive when I went out of my way to support xenforo and it got us maybe 5 customers and really it was like 1 customers because the ones I wrote the integration for where already customers who used vb.

I have no idea what the xf resource manager is. We do integrate with xenforo forum at user login and css integration level. That has remained true from day one. I can not say what the future will bring but I would assume that xenforo must mature as a product if it is going to be viable and there needs to be more interaction from the customer base. The product itself was held in limbo for years under lawsuit.

I can tell you quite honestly though I have 3 open betas right now and am busy so I am not making alot more work at the moment that I have. You can see alot of the nice stuff I have done like add photo tagging into Pro 8.3 etc.

I will tell you what I have told the two others who asked. If it can be done we will do it.

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #3
thomas1
Verified Customer

Hi Chuck, I am one of the users you mentioned. I too am swamped with other work at the moment, but I hope to look into this issue soon.

As for the user base you mentioned: vB has been around for 13 years, while XF started in 2010, with active development interrupted by the law suit. Development has resumed, and if All Enthusiast offered enhanced integration that ratio is very likely to change in the light of the state vB5 is in.
thomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #4
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Like I have said if xenforo does not have the ability to do it there is nothing we can do. I doubt with the law suit and everything else there code has changed any since I looked at it and I did respond on this several years ago when I wrote the integration. we support the best possible integration we can always have. vbulletin is the only product I have seen thus far with the ability to load there header footer on other custom pages.

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Old March 18th, 2013, 04:06 PM   #5
dakis
Verified Customer

I am moving to xenforo within the next few weeks and I have 30,000 photos in my photopost installation. I will renew my license and upgrade Photopost, since there really is no alternative at this point, and the best I can do is :

- hire some CSS guru to play with photopost's design to make it match the one my forum will have

or

- participate in any tests Chuck tells me so we can test out stuff on the road for full integration if that's even possible.

In any case though, is there a demo of a xenforo/photopost installation so I can see what it looks like and what to expect?
dakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2013, 04:08 PM   #6
Alfa1
Verified Customer

I am not surprised that Photopost has not gotten many XenForo customers yet. XenForo has been dead in the water for a year and customers have been afraid about the lawsuit until now. IB explicitly implied liability toward XenForo customers. Now that issue is resolved.

XenForo development is active again and new releases are on the horizon.
New customers are attracted to XenForo.

I have just bought a license for my big board, because vbulletin has no future and IB has just proved with vb5 that they are not capable of producing viable software.

Anyway, I think it would be a smart move to think about XenForo for a bit, because many people want to move to XF but lack a good integrated gallery. I'm certain that more integration would yield a lot more customers for Photopost.

The current technical limitations are something that can be discussed with XenForo. Drop them a line here:
Contact Us | XenForo
It would be to the advantage of both PP and XF to have a good integration.

Here is a poll where 172 webmasters have voted for a Gallery Addon: The first addon for XenForo ? | XenForo Community
Not many people vote in polls, so this shows you that there is demand. XenForo developers Mike has mentioned that they are not going to make a Gallery.

Here is a thread about photopost that also indicates demand: When a real nice big gallery add-on ? | XenForo Community

Also see: How to wrap the XF header and footer around custom pages

Last edited by Alfa1; March 18th, 2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old March 18th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #7
Alfa1
Verified Customer

OK. Chuck. The solution is here:
Kotomi - Generic script bridge | XenForo Community
Old March 18th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #8
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Alfa1

There is one thing you are forgetting here the guys at xenforo are the same guys that use to work at vbulletin before IB took over. I have no problem helping out when I have time but they are the same people that bad mouthed our company for the best part of the last decade.

If I could find the kotami script I could look at it and probally write up an integration. It says download not available.

Like I said I am not a xenforo customer there is very little I can do or interact over there at that site. The company is not going to pay money for a script that 5 customers use. I am limited on what I can do. Most integrations I do on my own time aside from work just FYI.

If one of you can get me a test copy and the kotami thing to look at I will look at it set up a site and see what I can do. The point here is Xenforo is a new product it is in there best interest to draw customers away from vbulletin which means they should be contacting us and offering us a copy of their software and any other assistance to gain a larger customer base.

I went out of my way big time several years ago and wrote support for xenforo that those few people use. Remember to my knowledge our xenforo integration works perfectly for css and user integration. The only thing missing is the header footer from xenforo.

Old March 18th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #9
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

I would not be using the kotami bridge in our software that is not ethical or legal. I only need to see that to see how he is doing it so we could write our own. It took me months to debug vb5 to support that product. With the proper source code I could write an enhanced integration in a couple hours.

My hopes here in why I was trying to get those other two guys to setup test sites or get me copies to look was I am at RC1 on Pro 8.3. If this was something doable I may be able to throw it in there by the time this goes gold. Otherwise you all would have to wait for the next beta cycle.

Dakis: We do not require customers to tell us what there integration is only the url they use so you could need to ask anyone who uses PhotoPost with xenforo.

Old March 18th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #10
Alfa1
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
There is one thing you are forgetting here the guys at xenforo are the same guys that use to work at vbulletin before IB took over. I have no problem helping out when I have time but they are the same people that bad mouthed our company for the best part of the last decade.
Yeah, I hear you there. But... its not hard to see that vbulletin is dying. Betting on it is a bad bet. Unless a miracle happens most of the vbulletin customers will move away from it. This is already happening en mass. Its easy to see that its happening and why. Ha, I even see vbulletin staff migrating away from vb.

So forget the past for the sake of prosperity and consider the future of Photopost.

Quote:
If I could find the kotami script I could look at it and probally write up an integration. It says download not available.
Yes, you need a license. Its only 110 or so...

Quote:
The company is not going to pay money for a script that 5 customers use.
I think you are mistaken. Yes, only a few customers use photopost on Xenforo, but way more PP customers use xenforo without photopost. Are you following me?
I know many people on the XenForo forums who have been running Photopost on vbulletin. They do not use PP now and regret loosing their gallery. These are just customers waiting for your solution.

I will see what I can do...
Old March 18th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #11
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa1 View Post
I think you are mistaken. Yes, only a few customers use photopost on Xenforo, but way more PP customers use xenforo without photopost. Are you following me?
I know many people on the XenForo forums who have been running Photopost on vbulletin. They do not use PP now and regret loosing their gallery. These are just customers waiting for your solution.

I will see what I can do...
There is already a solution there has been a solution for years. We support xenforo at user/css level integration. It is not that hard to mock up a header footer of xenforo around your app. I mean I did it in 5 minutes years ago in my test site example when I wrote the integration. Xenforo shows you the header and footer by placing <header> and <footer> tags around it in the page source. You simply copy that header and footer code into header footer html files and load them in photopost.

Everybody has been saying vBulletin was going to die when vb4 was released. That did not happen in fact there customer base has only grown larger with vb4 which is a far superior product than vb3 ever was.

No company has the customer base vbulletin has not even close it is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Our company is not going to purchase a xenforo license. Like I said I have no ability to see that bridge or any access to that product. The only way I even was able to write an integration years ago was someone gave me a copy of there software to setup a test site and work with.

I contacted xenforo years ago about a complimentary license to write an integration so they could pull customers away from vbulletin. You know what answer I received. Lets see I was ignored and never even received the courtesy of a reply. So I already tried that route.

That is why I say it is on them to contact us. I tried was ignored.

Old March 18th, 2013, 07:45 PM   #12
CallieJo
Verified Customer

Chuck, how can I contact you privately? I cannot pm you.
CallieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2013, 08:18 PM   #13
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

You can contact us through the contact us in the site header.

Old March 19th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #14
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Alfa that kotomi thing I a bust it is designed for defining a file directly in the forum directory not for doing a header etc outside the forum directory.

Unless there is significant changes to the xenforo code to define a header footer variable with a variable like vbulletin does I am not hopeful here.

I am going to try a few more ideas but your definately not going to see anything here in the near future.

Old March 19th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #15
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

I wrote Xenforo a nice long email we shall see what they say.

Old March 19th, 2013, 06:17 PM   #16
thomas1
Verified Customer

Thanks Chuck, let's hope that's the dawn of a new era of cooperation.
Old March 19th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #17
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

We shall see the vb guys were never cooperative to say the least and many people forget the xenforo people are made up of over half the core vb guys.

I sent them an email. Basically I just pointed out that this is in there best interest to have that ability in there software to have the header and footer be able to be defined by a variable. Integration with our application would get them lots of license sales if we posted we could integrate with them the same we we do in vbulletin. It is not in our companies best interest to spent alot of time on this effort though as there is no real fiscal incentive. 40-45% of our customers are vbulletin customers. The people who would purchase xenforo licenses are already customers of ours. There is no money coming into our company here. Maybe in the long run if xenforo gains a foothold would we get money in the form of licensing but not now.

I am just trying to be honest here based on the facts.

I spent several hours of my time today playing around with things.

Old March 19th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #18
thomas1
Verified Customer

At least there'll be license renewals and hopefully new customers once the full integration stands.

Anyhow, I hope your company know what they have in you.
Old March 19th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #19
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Yeah down the road a year or two from now it might pay off. My coments are based on the facts of what there is now. I wrote a user/css integration years ago and we made no money because we had all of 5 converts from vb to xenforo. We might have maybe 10 xenforo customers at max now out of 50000 licenses as I have posted. That is very very small. If an integration is written that supports pulling the header/footer the vast majority of any people using it would be users who are switching from vb to xenforo hense they are the ones who stand to gain alot not us.

There does not seem to be a way to define the header footer by simple variables in that product which is what is needed for a full integration to exist which means the vast majority of work needs to be done on our end. Once the header and footers source html can be used as simple variables we can place the code we need in our files to load those variables.

Our software and any integration is limited by the forums which most people do not understand. I have written 75% of all integrations our product does so I know how it works. phpBB3 for instance has no standard CSS style classes hense there is no style integration where as the old phpBB2 did and we supported CSS integration.

I always do my best on integrations for customers to get the best possible situation. vBulletin is the only software I have seen out of all the ones we do where the header and footers are defined by a simple variable say $header $footer. We need that because we need to have that header footer html to include our stuff into it and then print out the headers footers so they work and both applications are workable together.

Old March 20th, 2013, 12:32 PM   #20
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

I am glad to report that thanks to alot of help from Mike Sullivan from Xenforo and alot of time on Skype this morning full integration with xenforo is going to be possible. It will be a few days for me to beatify things make the necessary stuff to support everything dymically but we will grab the header footer of xenforo and all user authentication etc style and the xenforo breadcrumb will contain our breadcrumb as well as users will be able to generate an xml addon to add in a gallery tab with all menu links in the xenforo navigation bar with that tab selected just like in vbulletin 4.

They where very eager to help because obviously we have lots of vbulletin customers who would probally want to switch to xenforo. They also gave me a license.

Once I have the final product done up I will post a link for users to see it and this will be included in the 8.3 final release which will go gold once I finish all this up.