PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > General Discussion

General Discussion General use discussion forum for PhotoPost products.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old August 30th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #1
craigbru
Verified Customer

vBulletin 5?

Yeah, I know it may be a bit preemptive, but the vB 5 release is right around the corner. What are the plans for vB Photopost integration? It looks like the default gallery and media options are greatly improved. I'd like to continue using Photopost, but am curious as to the upgrade timeline. This would be the biggest site mod that may hold up any upgrades. Can you give us any insight? It would be appreciated.

Craig
craigbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2012, 06:47 AM   #2
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

I can not say what timeline there would be as currently we still have no access to vbulletin 5 code so we are as much in the dark as everyone else. We could not formulate a plan without beta access and so far we have not been granted that.

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 07:16 PM   #3
Alfa1
Verified Customer

Its strange that Photopost as one of the major addons is denied access to the beta. As I understand it, all major addon developers have been invited.
Maybe this is related to vb5 coming with image gallery features?
Alfa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #4
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

There beta access is alot more restrictive than you think. They keep appearances of being nice but they pick and choose. I seriously doubt every vb hack author has access.

vbulletin 5 from what I see will not have a full featured gallery like our product.

I applied to be a tester and even filled out a NDA form and sent back but never got a response. I sent a second email on this issue to the guy running the beta like a week ago but no response.

As always we will support vb5 when we can support it and at what level we can support it. We really can give no response without knowing the coding involved.

Remember with vb4 NO ONE but a handful of people had access till a public beta was released 2 months before it went gold.

We are not going to make any promises on timeframes as everything is an unknown.

The crazy thing is the head of the beta testing site sent me an email to enter my site into a drawing to win a free copy of vb5 and I still have not been granted access to the code so somewhere something is crossed.

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Old September 15th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #5
Alfa1
Verified Customer

You can buy a copy of vb5 and get access to the code. This allows you to start development on a vb5 version.

Maybe they see photopost as a competitor now because of the image gallery features? I doubt they will give you access for free.
Everyone received the drawing / raffle email.

As far as I can see vb5 will not have an image gallery as feature full as Photopost and therefore there will be many vb5 webmasters interested in Photopost.
However, the vb5 gallery function is a large leap forward for vb, as it does have categories and a photo viewer that is more modern than Photopost. It could well be the the Gold version looks much better than this low quality 'beta'. Who knows.
Alfa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #6
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

I will pass that along to the owner of the company if they choose to do that but like I said I have no interest in buying vb5 for my site.

Old October 18th, 2012, 12:53 AM   #7
peterr89

http://www.centplay.com/affiliate/id_199/

Are there Bv5?

Last edited by peterr89; October 18th, 2012 at 07:33 PM.
peterr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 07:23 AM   #8
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Scott just bought a vb5 license so now I need to setup a test site and work on things.

Old December 12th, 2012, 05:13 AM   #9
sonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
I will pass that along to the owner of the company if they choose to do that but like I said I have no interest in buying vb5 for my site.

vb5 is great.. I'm also going to buy this for my site too...
sonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 07:21 AM   #10
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

It is Okay not a game changer for most I think. The Interest in vb5 has been less than expected from what I am seeing.

Old December 29th, 2012, 10:19 AM   #11
Kaelon

Related to this topic, is there a notable difference in the roadmap for PhotoPost vs. vBGallery?
Kaelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #12
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

There is no roadmap for vbgallery concerning vbulletin 5 at this time. Honestly we have not had time to even consider that product. It took one and a half years to support vb4 for vbGallery as the product had to be written from the bottom on up for vb4. There is enough things to consider working on trying to best support vb5 with our main product Pro as well as ReviewPost and Classifieds. vBulletin 5 may as I have previously posted here prove the be the end of vbGallery as a product since developing a product tied to every last vbulletin version specific is too costly to develop versus the potential income.

I do not anticipate vBulletin having good reviews or sales on there vbulletin 5 product. I find most customers as I have been a long time customer will not be impressed with that product. I know I am not.

Old December 29th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #13
Kaelon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
There is no roadmap for vbgallery concerning vbulletin 5 at this time. Honestly we have not had time to even consider that product. It took one and a half years to support vb4 for vbGallery as the product had to be written from the bottom on up for vb4. There is enough things to consider working on trying to best support vb5 with our main product Pro as well as ReviewPost and Classifieds. vBulletin 5 may as I have previously posted here prove the be the end of vbGallery as a product since developing a product tied to every last vbulletin version specific is too costly to develop versus the potential income.

I do not anticipate vBulletin having good reviews or sales on there vbulletin 5 product. I find most customers as I have been a long time customer will not be impressed with that product. I know I am not.
I can certainly agree that vBulletin 5 hasn't exactly impressed. I know that a lot of long-time big board owners like myself are looking at either forking vB 3.8.x, or moving to Invision Power Board.

(On a completely unrelated note -- any thoughts on why my account isn't showing that I'm a Verified Customer? My e-mail addresses sync up across Members Area and Forums, so I'm not sure why :/).
Old December 29th, 2012, 11:08 AM   #14
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

If your members accessed is expired you would not be verified for support since your access for support has expired. You would need to renew your members access for 39.00 for support and access to the latest code. If you have not upgraded in awhile you might want to check it out

I actually like vb4 and the level of integration with that VB is top notch.

Old December 29th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #15
Kaelon

Thanks, Chuck. I just renewed my access an hour or so ago to get the latest version of vBGallery (hooray for PHP 5.3.x support!), but I'm still not showing up as a Verified Customer. Any thoughts?

Re: vBulletin 4.x, the design aesthetic really put me off and I never found a convincing way to bridge the Stylesheet issues between 3.x and 4.x.
Old December 29th, 2012, 12:39 PM   #16
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

They have to process your order

well I do not use vbgallery I use Pro but we follow the vbulletin 4 style pretty darn well IMO

A community photo gallery - ReefTalk Gallery

Old January 10th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #17
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

We have open downloadable betas open thus far on PhotoPost Pro and Photopost Classifieds that support vBulletin 5.0.

Old January 18th, 2013, 08:56 AM   #18
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

You can check out the vbulletin 5 demo sites here

A community photo gallery - My Photo Gallery

Main Index - Omegatron.net Classifieds

I am working on ReviewPost still but the two main products the Pro gallery and classifieds applications work with vb5.

Old January 21st, 2013, 11:34 PM   #19
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Making headway here with ReviewPost

Main Index - My Product Gallery

Old January 30th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #20
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Several weeks have gone by and I know of several people who have installed the beta and things are working good so far so good. I have example sites I have setup linked in the last few posts for others whom have not been following so feel free to join the beta and try things out if you wish.

Remember I am looking for ideas on the betas as well on general feature requests to balance out the release so it is not one sided just to support vb5. I have so far added a few things to each product and looking for a few more ideas.