Not really per the upgrade instructions if you follow those you should be okay.
1. You upload everything except the 2 config files.
2. You either edit the new config files with the proper information and upload those or edit your older configs and add any new variables and upload those whichever you prefer.
3. You run the upgrades for those scripts.
4. If you are integrated with vb4 or xenforo there are instructions on how to generate the xml files for those products to complete your upgrade.
5. Once everything has been done delete the install directory.
It is pretty straight forward just like any upgrade only difference is instead of going version to version you can try uploading just changed files from the last version when your going many versions behind no doubt every single php and template file has changed.