PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > Before You Buy

Before You Buy Have questions about PhotoPost, ReviewPost and/or PhotoPost Classifieds before you buy?

Old August 8th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #1
keithk
Verified Customer

uploading and scaling images

Chuck,

I need some guidance. I have PhotoPost v8.22, our environment is PHP Version 5.2.17.

Since our initial install and subsequent upgrades, we've always had an issue with users uploading large files because there were issues with scaling images. I don't recall all the reasons, but I seem to recall there was an issue with a setting on our server restricting the uploaded filesize, and scaling the images.

So the upload process has always consistently resulted in a PHP error for the user, and the files frozen in the users upload directory.

I noticed I can upload any size image to a VBulletin thread, it creates the thumbnail, and scales the image without issue.

So I'm struggling with paying for the upgrade to PP if my host won't change whatever setting we need for PP to work as VB. Does that make sense? If you need a better explanation, let me know because I'm not sure if that truly helps convey the main question I have or not.

Basically I want users to use their mobile devices and upload their images from their camera gallery to PP as they do now with something like Tapatalk to a VBulletin thread. Tapatalk doesn't support PP, so maybe there's another way. The PP Mobile Templates I've tried in the past are complex and hard for me to set up properly as well, but that's a whole other issue.

I'm happy to buy the upgrade, just want to know the newest version can help me. Your thoughts?
keithk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 10:16 AM   #2
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

I doubt vbulletin scales any image where PHP comes with an error since server setup is above a script. If I upload an image to vbulletin that is too large for php it is dropped just like in photopost.

As far as any error I would need to comment specifically about any error.

If you want very little uploading errors you simply need to setup the optimial settings. For instance PHP is limited to 2mb upload unless you change that. You must set PHP max upload and post max upload sizes to the largest you want. You might also want to make the memory limit minimum 72mb or 84mb.

You can not compare vb attachments to photopost images uploads. Your vb attachment manager file settings are so small if photopost was set like that an image would never fail either unless we are talking about uploading an image larger than php allows where the server will drop it. Remember the max size in vb attachments is usually 400pixels 80-100 pixel thumbnails.

I would also suggest using ImageMagick over GD2. You would not have these issues using mogrify over GD2 which is part of PHP which is why you have upload issues because GD2 is limited to the PHP settings on your server any PHP script is. GD2 takes all the memory from PHP to process an image then PHP fails and you get a white page.

Also under your Upload Options in your Gallery try making your max image dimensions no more than 1200x1200.

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 12:51 PM   #3
keithk
Verified Customer

I know this was half a support question, and half an upgrade question, so I'm going to try PP one more time. Look for my renewal right after this post.

I seem to recall doing down the ImageMagick path with my host before with a request, but it wasn't something I could do for some reason.

I'm not sure what VBulletin is doing exactly. They use an Upload Manager. I can take a 3264x2448 image from my mobile device, which is 1.7MB in size, upload it to a thread and VBulletin creates a thumb, and scales the image to 1024x768. It works very smoothly to upload multiple photo's to a thread 1 at a time as well. But when I try to upload that same image to PP, I get an error the image "exceeds filesize limit" on my mobile device screen because the upload screen indicates 250k max file size, but no setting for this found in the PP admin panel.

The only filesize setting available for PP is set to 2000KB or 2MB, but this is for multimedia files. I'm not clear how VB does it, the attachments setting is set to 200k max file size, 1024x768. For PP, 250k file size.

I just had to try justifying another upgrade to make posting photo's easier for our users. They're all using mobile devices now and I wanted to streamline the photo upload process to make it simple so they'd post picts with us rather than FB.

Heading to the renewal link now. Feel free to move this one under a support forum and let me know where this missing setting is for 250k file size, I can't even find it in my database.
Old August 8th, 2013, 01:00 PM   #4
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

I will look at your specific setup if you want to pass the details along through the contact us link but the point I would make here is this restriction your talking about something in your mobile phone setup. I can upload an 5mb image to my photopost on my mobile phone without any issue so definately not something I can say without lots more info. You seem to be talking a mobile issue there. No doubt that same image if you uploaded via your computer uploads fine right.

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Old August 8th, 2013, 04:09 PM   #5
keithk
Verified Customer

Here's what I see on my device. I'm not clear where the 250kb file size limit is coming from.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2013-08-08.jpg (52.8 KB, 19 views)
Old August 8th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #6
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

That limit is set by what you are setting under Admin => Edit Usegroups the filesize limit you are imposing on your users in your settings.

The styling for standalone and mobile has also been improved in 8.4 FYI

Old August 8th, 2013, 04:33 PM   #7
keithk
Verified Customer

I'm an idiot, will make the change now.

I downloaded the upgrade, and I might buy your installation services next. Need to chew on this a bit.
Old August 8th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #8
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

I am just saying I did lots of templating work html5 validation table free design etc in 8.4

A community photo gallery - Omegatron Photo Gallery

You might like that better than the current design.

Old August 8th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #9
keithk
Verified Customer

Thanks Chuck. Can you point me to a link on editing the mobile templates, or is this menu driven in the new version?
Old August 8th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #10
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

The mobile templates are in a folder called mobile under templates and only active when viewing on a mobile device so editing them from the template editor is not advised unless your on some tablet that is big enough to edit them through our admin.

What specifically are you trying to do I suppose I should ask because I am just bringing up the fact the styling and templating has been updated to be html5 compliant as well as table free design and the style has been more streamlined in look and feel as you can see in my example over your version with the thick borders around all content etc.

The mobile templates we employ are scaled down templating with less features content etc to allow a more flexible look in the mobile environment which is how most sites handle things. Obviously your not going to be using all the sidebars lots of columns rows etc your going to be barebones here is the catlist here is the photo and pertinent info etc.

Old August 8th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #11
keithk
Verified Customer

My original intent was to avoid any potential issues I might encounter with the upgrade. I'm not as familiar with PP and that may be a good thing. Meaning, I don't mess with it once it's up and running, it just runs without making changes. But if I goof something up, it takes me quite some time to fix.

I thought perhaps I could simply change some colors and move the upload button to the top of the mobile device screen, a few small tweaks like that. I'm using a desktop, an SG3 and a 10" tablet for testing.

I'm doing a full FTP backup now, so maybe I'll get some courage tonight and do this upgrade, then decide if it needs tweaking.
Old August 8th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #12
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Okay got ya

Old August 14th, 2013, 07:34 AM   #13
keithk
Verified Customer

Upgrade complete and working. Is there any documentation on template editing for mobile, or any words of advice beyond the generic stuff? I want to skin it to match my main website, and adjust some of the layout.
Old August 14th, 2013, 09:11 AM   #14
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

You can edit stylesheets under admin panel of the gallery. If your trying to match the style as close as your vb it is best you use PhotoPost 8.4 as that standalone styling is close to vb look and feel

A community photo gallery - Omegatron Photo Gallery

When you elect to use mobile view we do not use the vb style header etc. You can edit the templates under the mobile directory to change things although the mobile templates are scaled down enough to view on phones so they will not have all the features of the main gallery.