PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > Before You Buy

Before You Buy Have questions about PhotoPost, ReviewPost and/or PhotoPost Classifieds before you buy?

Old August 21st, 2012, 02:33 PM   #1
myuption
Verified Customer

Renew or buy new?

I have a couple licenses, one from the time vBGallery was just that and another one with the new deal.

I like vBGallery, but it seems that there is no such thing as a constant development for this product.

So, first of all, I want to know if I get some kind of deal if I want to migrate my old vBG into Photopost or I should buy a new license.

Second, how hard is it to migrate from vBG into Photopost? Is it possible? That old site has a couple thousand images with comments and everything. I don't want to lose the categories nor the files from my old time users.

Third, Photopost will migrate into the new vB5 series? I'd hope so.

Thanks!
myuption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 02:41 PM   #2
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

1. You can not convert the license purchased elsewhere to a full Pro license. There was a deal years ago when the licenses where first transferred but that expired years ago. You would have to purchase a new license if you wanted to convert this one.

2. Your main license where you have access to Pro you can renew there is no need to buy a new license there. Now if you own multiple licenses and you only have one active install you could theoretically use that second license on your vbgallery. However if your using both licenses on different sites you would need to follow the advise in number 1.

3. There is a vbgallery to pro import script which works in the pro import forum. I just used it recently to convert a customer.

4. vb5 is an internally developed alpha to my knowledge. We do plan to integrate with vb5 once that script becomes available to beta testers and we have access but if the process is as difficult as it was to get access like in vb4 we could not say when we would officially support such a forum. I remember back with vb4 we officially got access to that code like 2 months before vb4 went gold. Definately not a friendly process for developers trying to make there scripts compatible with the product.

Our products are compatible with the vb 4.2 series with lots of enhancements over earlier versions of our software.

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 07:24 PM   #3
myuption
Verified Customer

Thanks Chuck, I'll buy a new license and renew to other one.

At least vB are releasing some alpha and beta versions now. So, hopefully the process will be smoother this time.
Old August 21st, 2012, 07:27 PM   #4
myuption
Verified Customer

BTW, this is in vb.org

Quote:
We are recruiting one additional round of alpha/beta testers for vBulletin 5 Connect.

If you would like to contribute to the development of the next major vBulletin release, this is your final opportunity to do so.

To express interest, please send an email to lcole@vbulletin.com with the Subject "FINAL ROUND VBULLETIN 5 TESTER INTEREST".

We will reply to you within 48 business hours with further directions.

Best Regards,

Lawrence
Old August 21st, 2012, 07:42 PM   #5
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Yes I sent them an email but there is no guarantee we will get in they do not like PhotoPost from what I gather and last time like I said with vb4 we did not have access to the code until they released a public beta which was 2 months before it went gold.

I think you will like the changes we have done with PhotoPost Pro 8 series.

We just released 8.2 which includes a plugin system which allows users to write plugins to plug content into various locations in the application.

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:13 AM   #6
myuption
Verified Customer

Thanks Chuck! Hope they allow you to the tester group
Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:26 AM   #7
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

You never know I shall wait and see.