PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > General Discussion

General Discussion General use discussion forum for PhotoPost products.

Old October 23rd, 2011, 08:28 AM   #1
Alfa1
Verified Customer

Question Photopost is a complete fail on my active big board

Sorry for the blunt title, but there is an issue that I want to share with you in the hope that it leads to a solution.

I run a very active big board. My vbulletin site is so popular that the number of visitor is limited by what my server can handle. I get over 3.4 million pageviews and over 1.1 million unique visitors per month. Its pretty massive and my forum has continuous activity. There are forum discussions all the time 24/7

Photopost showphoto.php is not much different than vbulletin threads. Its an image with comments, which is basically a thread. My Photopost pro gallery is clearly advertised with a tab at the top of all pages. So you would expect Photopost to be very successful as well.

Yet, barely anyone uses my photopost image gallery. I get less than 25 new images posted per week and no one ever responds to the image discussions. This is in major contrast with my forums activity. Its not that my members do not want to discuss images. Members who do post in photopost find that they get no response there and then decide to post to my forum, where they do get response.
I think the most important reason why my members do not use photopost is that new image discussions do not come up in the 'what's new' function. There is a lack of content discovery. I know that some other sites have the same issue.
Its really too bad, because photopost is very nice software. But without content discovery it does not get used.

So what to do? Is there anyway to resolve this?
Would it be better to use the forum for image discussions? It may not look as good, but it will get more traction there. Maybe its possible to add the same image viewer that XenForo has. That looks pretty good.

Are there any plans by photopost to address this problem?
Alfa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 09:52 AM   #2
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

The only thing I can tell you is to ensure your using the vb4 mod to show gallery content into the forum however you can not force someone to use a program which seems to be your issue. Any gallery product out there pretty much works the same way photopost does. Your not going to see content in the forum from a product outside it.

Maybe a suggestion would be create a focal point forum on your forum that loads the gallery rss feed so it shows new posts images from the gallery and directs people there? That is kind of what I do.

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 10:13 AM   #3
jdougher
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa1 View Post
Are there any plans by photopost to address this problem?
It is so interesting that I see this thread because I just created a new topic on this very problem:

http://www.photopost.com/forum/revie...ew-posted.html

In my view, the single biggest problem with most add-ons is that forum users forget they are there. If the activity on those components is put in front of users' faces the way that thread activity is, then the problem is solved.

It's the secret behind Facebook's success: all the activity is right there in front of you.
jdougher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 01:04 PM   #4
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

You can not compare Facebook to a forum or any type of addon to a forum. Just my opinion because its apples and oranges. Not even close!

Anyway look at your other post you made I said the same thing here as I said there. Use your vbulletin rss feed manager to its fullest potential to do what you suggested in that other thread and kind of what your hinting at here. vbulletin has that capability to add in content from other sources provided they have rss feeds.

That is what they made there rss feed manager for.

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 02:59 PM   #5
Alfa1
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
The only thing I can tell you is to ensure your using the vb4 mod to show gallery content into the forum
Will that show the latest images? Or just random?

Quote:
however you can not force someone to use a program which seems to be your issue.
I do not need to force someone to use a program. The fact that they are posting images to the forum and discussing it there, shows there is a demand for image discussions. I think its content discovery that is missing.

Quote:
Any gallery product out there pretty much works the same way photopost does. Your not going to see content in the forum from a product outside it.
I do have new blogs added to the bottom of the new posts search. Im going to start using sphinx search. It would be nice if photopost would support sphinx.

Quote:
Maybe a suggestion would be create a focal point forum on your forum that loads the gallery rss feed so it shows new posts images from the gallery and directs people there? That is kind of what I do.
Does that work for you? Does that cause your users to use the gallery? Or do they use the forum threads to discuss the images?
I only see an empty RSS forum on your site.

Quote:
You can not compare Facebook to a forum or any type of addon to a forum.
Forum, image gallery and facebook have a lot in common. Its all social media. I'd even say that facebook is the successor of forums to some degree. You can surely apply the success of certain facebook functions to forums. XenForo does that very well with their successful notification system.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 03:09 PM   #6
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Facebook is the successor of AOL and PRODIGY etc if you ask me. It is all opinions

You can check out any mods in the mod corner there and ask questions about them as they are outside the actual support of the product. The image blocks I know off you can set the image block to latest random or most views.

Whatever features you use within the applications to achieve whatever results you can you can try aside from that you would need to create any type of mod you wish to achieve what actions you want outside of the normal application parameters. No application not even vbulletin has every last feature every last user wants that is why mods are so popular. This is the fundamental reason mods are so popular as someone always wants something to work a different way.

Last edited by Chuck S; October 23rd, 2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old November 17th, 2011, 12:17 AM   #7
CavySpirit
Verified Customer

I just wanted to add that I agree with Alfa's assessment. I hadn't really thought of it that way. But, I've always felt that the image posting and commenting could actually be so much more on my site. I have a very active pet site. It should be non-stop image posting and commenting, but it's not. It's okay, but not great. The commenting system associated with the photos is weak relative to forum postings. It would be great to have a better integration and awareness on the commenting. Running photo contests appropriately and easily is virtually impossible--something I'd really love to be able to do.

We (forum administrators) are definitely competing more and more with Facebook. We have to be much more attentive to useability and simplicity to compete for our user's participation. I've been looking forward to the new release in hopes of better integration and simpler views. There are some improvements from what I've seen, but this was a very conservative upgrade after so much time, at least that what it feels like to me.

Yes, I agree there are no solutions out there right now that really deliver on the vision that I would like to see with my forum. PP comes the closest, but I feel like overall, I'm still losing out on what I could be doing for my community. And therefore, I'm losing business--I'm not able to reach my potential.

So, I have to wonder, if there is not enough business for Photopost to invest in more developers (and support, I suppose), that is, amp up more significantly, then why not?

Are we dying breeds? Full-featured community providers? To me, it just makes more of a case that forums are not gaining market share in general, we are losing. That's what I've been reading in the general techie press. We are not needed quite as much with FB, twitter, and other platforms for social communication.

All the more reason to provide awesome value to our communities to keep them thriving.

I'm just venting and probably totally off-base, but that's what it feels like to me.

That said, I'm looking forward to the gold version of the release so that I can get going on it.
CavySpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 09:05 AM   #8
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Community sites are not growing like they where 10 years ago when alot of people started sites that is true. Facebook is hot right now and your going to have people using it for sure. I think you will always see community sites as they are ran by people like you or I whom run them to share with others their love of a particular subject.

It is all perspective. Look at twitter I have no desire nor have I ever "tweeted". I do have a facebook account but mainly to interact with family and friends. I absolutely hate the photo viewer at facebook.

PhotoPost is the best value for the money with the most features in a gallery product. It will probally never have every last feature someone wants that is just reality. That is why people create mods.

Our product has a unique niche in that it integrates with 20 different products and with that brings some constrains because to integrate with also limits the design to a point. If we where just developing something that did not integrate with anything else but itself how easy life would be. The time involved is the number of integrations and the number of template sets we have to deal with.

PhotoPost 8 has social networking features to post content on those types of sites but the main features in that version are mostly backend changes. The style and templating and variables where changed to make things easier in the long run and setup for more sweeping changes. There are some key visual design changes that users have wanted and clearly can be seen in version 8.

Old November 19th, 2011, 06:43 AM   #9
Alfa1
Verified Customer

While facebook and social media is a factor, my big board is not doing bad at all. I have just moved it to my first private cluster. Its interesting to note the use of vbulletin albums vs photopost per month:

vb profile albums: 310
Photopost: 95
vb attachments images: 350

So my members like vb albums more than 3 times better than photopost. Even though vb albums is also a hidden feature, and photopost is an image gallery with many features. Apparently those features are far less important than exposure & integration.
Old November 19th, 2011, 08:44 AM   #10
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

I am sure results would vary by user but just an observation. I think most people who would install a full featured gallery like Pro or vbGallery would turn OFF the vb profile album thing. That is just the norm that I have seen. Attachments to threads seems to me what people are uploading to threads and you can probally boister gallery usage by installing this mod below.

Cel Photo Popup - Insert pictures from vB Albums, Attachs, Photopost, vBGallery - vBulletin.org Forum

Also after turning off the vb4 album feature make sure your using the vb4 mod link here to make sure your gallery content is up front and center.

http://www.photopost.com/forum/photo...tin-4-0-a.html

Old November 19th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #11
Alfa1
Verified Customer

I'm running vb3.

Yes, it would make sense to turn off vb albums, if photopost would have member albums on vbulletin profiles. But AFAIK it does not.

I know there is this addon: http://www.photopost.com/forum/photo...etin-3-8x.html
But that adds a random photo block on forum home, which I do not see the benefit of.

Last edited by Alfa1; November 19th, 2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old November 19th, 2011, 09:52 AM   #12
Michael P
PhotoPost Developer
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa1 View Post
vb profile albums: 310
Photopost: 95
vb attachments images: 350
Maybe the issue is that you are offering too many options n the first place? If people can upload photos in albums AND in PhotoPost, whats driving them to any one area to interact with photos? Add in attachments, and, well, you have an assortment of photo areas none with focus.

I understand the desire to have a solution that does "everything", but as you said there arent options out there that offer a Facebook-quality of service - and thats obvious why..... millions of dollars of investment backed by a billion dollar company while we write software that sells for just over a hundred bucks.

Another problem we have is that generally, our users dont agree on just what they want from a gallery. We have over 15,000 customers running over a dozen different forum types. Some want "hot or not" galleries, others want a facebook social type of integration, some want to profile the photos they've taken in a simple gallery and yet others want only a gallery centered site.

I'm working on PP5 - a new layout, adding in a mobile interface layout, improving SEO, "liking" photos (was tagging them), cleaning up the templates and code, etc. Next I would love to make the PROFILE pages more "social", make a feed or activity of you and your friends, etc.

But as we add new features, we're always aware that our customers dont all use the software in the same way and sometimes what they are looking for doesn't exist simply because everyone has a different idea of what "it" is.

We try to make PhotoPost as universal as possible while adding in advanced features - PhotoPost was the first gallery to have the ability to upload photos from mobile phones. In fact, in using this technology I was profiled in a car magazine for uploading the unveiling of a new car design just a couple minutes after it was unveiled on stage. But doing this and supporting it across all the different platforms of servers and hosting services with novice users proved almost impossible to support.

Facebook at least builds to one platform and doesnt have to worry about having a support team to install their product on all their own servers.

I guess what it comes down to, is, I realize the software isn't everything to everyone, but it does serve a very good use for many. And while we continue to try and improve the product, for $129 (or less), PhotoPost represents a real value for anyone wanting to add a community style photo gallery to their site.

I've been developing and supporting PhotoPost for some 10 years now. Very few vendors out there offer that kind of stability behind their product.