PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > General Discussion

General Discussion General use discussion forum for PhotoPost products.

Old October 14th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #1
JLuerken

Send a message via ICQ to JLuerken
Unhappy Latest vBGallery and Photopost releases

Hi Developers,

I am passing by here every week to check if there are new releases for my loved photopost and vbGallery but within the last month I have the feeling that only smaller bugfixes were made.
I am missing the bigbang and do not really see that the scripts are making progress.
Photopost has still an old AdminCP and needs some fresh air removing the dust from it. The vBIntegration could also be better I think.
I am missing multilingual functions to be able to create categories and descriptions in several languages and more easy AJAX administration.
vBGallery looks also not very promising to me at the moment. Since it was bought I do not see a new major vBG Release which integrates with socials groups, the blog system or gives the + functionality that it had 1 or 2 years ago.

At the moment it feels like the scripts where sold as long as customers are willed to pay for them. Bugfixes are released but yeah, like I said I am missing the big bang.

Its not that I am unsatisfied with the scripts, I love them but it looks like they stand still to me.

Is it only me having this feeling?
JLuerken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #2
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Hello 6.2 of Photopost Pro was only released a few weeks ago did you miss it?

http://www.photopost.com/forum/photo...-released.html

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 04:24 AM   #3
JLuerken

No I did not miss it. I renewed my member area access and installed it but maybe I expect other things in a new release.

I am thinking about:
- more AJAX usage
- a better AdminCP with more comfort functions for the admin
- a better integration into vBulletin (Blog, Album, SocialGroups and while posting threads)
- better multi language support

Like I said, this is not a blaming post and I see that you still release new updates but pp looks like we have to get the dust from it (looks quite old) and for vbgallery I whish more updates and more features.
I am using pp for a long time now but the basic style still looks like years ago.

I cannot describe it better Chuck, sorry.
Old October 15th, 2008, 06:42 AM   #4
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Well the features are always listed in the announcement and this was one alot of customers waited for if not you. They wanted the flash uploader and alot of work went into this version.

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Old October 15th, 2008, 07:03 AM   #5
JLuerken

Chuck I have a good example.
I am using the Geek Gallery Popup Addon which adds a small link under the smilies you see in the post editor on the right side.
With this addon I can directly choose an image from my galleries and put them in a thread.
This is a good example for a really good function.
At the moment you have to open the gallery, copy the link to an image, create a thread and paste the link in it. Not very comfortable and for some users (which are to stupid) also to complicated.

This is what I am walking about. I really would like to see more options like this or AJAX tools to make working with the gallery easier for the admin and the users.

We should not forget that the gallery should be useable for users which normally not working with it or with vbulletin and there are a lot of them.

Its just an example but I hope it describes it better to you?
Old October 15th, 2008, 07:08 AM   #6
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

well alot of what I see here is your talking about vbulletin modifications to their code and not specifically our code. Addons is what I here.

Your free to post suggestions in the suggestions forum under each product. I can tell you the only product to most likely be able to get some sort of function like this would not likely be vbgallery so feel free to post there.

If there are not suggestions like this in the appopriate suggestions forum the developer will never see these.

Old October 15th, 2008, 08:15 AM   #7
JLuerken

Ok many thanks Chuck
Old October 15th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #8
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

No problem glad to assist just make sure as noted any thoughts you wish for future inclusion is posted in the suggestions forums and Michael can see it.

Old October 16th, 2008, 06:48 AM   #9
DDIG
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLuerken View Post
Chuck I have a good example.
I am using the Geek Gallery Popup Addon which adds a small link under the smilies you see in the post editor on the right side.
With this addon I can directly choose an image from my galleries and put them in a thread.
This is a good example for a really good function.
At the moment you have to open the gallery, copy the link to an image, create a thread and paste the link in it. Not very comfortable and for some users (which are to stupid) also to complicated.
This is something that should not be too difficult to implement. I kindly asked for this myself and it seems to me that vbGallery just stopped. I don't hear from any changes currently in development. I use it for almost one year now and I think nothing really changed since. Especially the function you describe should be part of vbGallery as it is a vBulletin plug-in (kindof) and this just tightens Forum Integration. I think it is a missed change but who am I to judge.
DDIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 07:19 AM   #10
Subah

I hope when the new vbulletin 3.8 is release the last vBG work with it
because there is no one support it after Zach
Subah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #11
Max Paint
Verified Customer

I also use vbGallery. In fact, it was the most important reason for me to switch my Forum from phpBB to VB. I love this gallery but there are still some bugs, that haven't been fixed. Nothing serious, but the gallery isn't working correctly. For example the gallery causes an error in the user's profile (last post of user) and viewing a category also shows wrong category names...

I don't want to change my gallery to photopost pro. That would destroy many links to my album pictures.

I really hope, there will be a new version of it.

It's sad to see, that there isn't a VB 3.7.xx Forum for vbgallery....

greetz,
Max
Max Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 06:57 PM   #12
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

vbGallery 2.43 is specifically for vb 3.7

Old October 20th, 2008, 04:01 AM   #13
JLuerken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
vbGallery 2.43 is specifically for vb 3.7
...but the answers from the other users show that they also have the feeling that vbGallery stands still.
I have the feeling that Photopost bought vBGallery from the market to get rid of a competitor.
I hope that Photopost sees the chance and make a good gallery for everyone (photopost) and a super integrated vbulletin gallery (vbgallery) but since you bought vbgallery not much has been done in my eyes.

I have to repeat myself, this is not a flaming thread cause product, price and support are still very well, its only that I am missing a new version which adds the little extra's to the products like it was years ago.
Old October 20th, 2008, 08:09 AM   #14
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

We are all entitled to our opinions. There have been numerous releases of both products over the last couple years and both products have had new features added. That is the fact not an opinion. Both products have had at least two new releases a year. Usually one larger than the other. Remember when we obtained vbGallery it was version 1.0 only having only been a released stable product for like 6 months or so. Now there are like 4 different code branches not an easy thing to manage. Photopost was like in version 5.21. If I add up all the revisions that have been released since we obtained vbGallery thats alot of releases.

Michael I do beleive is working on coming up with a vbGallery beta in the near future now that Photopost 6.2 has been released.

Old October 20th, 2008, 08:17 AM   #15
JLuerken

Hi Chuck,

thanks again for answering. I think you should close this thread now.
I stated what I wanted and got a good answer. Now its on me to show
patience again and wait for one of the next releases.
I think my comments are nothing really getable from a developers perspective but I hope you got the point?

Kind regards
jluerken
Old October 20th, 2008, 08:19 AM   #16
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

I understand we are not doing things fast enough for everyone thats inevitable in the software business

I just want you to understand that looking at the overall picture in the past 2 years there has been alot of progress forward if one looks at the versions of both packages we had back then and whats released now.

Just remember it takes vbulletin years of beta testing to release a new code branch. They put out little dot bug releases fast but the development side of that product takes along time. I remember vb 3 was almost like 3 years. 3.5 was at least 2 years.

Old October 26th, 2008, 09:08 AM   #17
Michael P
PhotoPost Developer
Verified Customer

As I indicated in another thread; I am taking over vBGallery development and we are recruiting additional support and development staff to replace those who have moved on. I am hopeful for an update before end of year that incorporates the flash uploader PRO just got along with some usability updates.

We are not a big company and like most software companies we have to try and manage some large projects with a small staff. The difference between ourselves and some other vendors we've seen come and go is that after 8 years we are still here actively working on our projects and supporting them. We intend to continue doing this even in our ever changing environment.
Old October 26th, 2008, 09:11 AM   #18
Max Paint
Verified Customer

Thanks that vbgallery is continued That are good news.
Max Paint is offline   Reply With Quote