PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > General Discussion

General Discussion General use discussion forum for PhotoPost products.

Old May 12th, 2008, 09:26 AM   #1
chabbs
Verified Customer

Hundreds of categories

I have a celebrity site that already has a photo gallery but I've considered using Photopost Pro instead so that I could make it more interactive. The photo gallery that I have now has one category per celebrity and through SQL query I could alphabetize the categories and even break down the pages by letter when it gets to the point that I have hundreds of categories.

What I'd like to know is if someone has already dealt with the issue of having hundreds of categories. If not, any ideas?
chabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 03:28 PM   #2
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

There are many of our sample sites which are larger sites that have hundreds of categories and you may view those sites to see how they handle things. You can assign categories to other categories order them how you wish etc.

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #3
scritty
Verified Customer

Bulk adding categories

I'm attempting to bulk add a bunch of categories using a sql query within phpMyAdmin. I'm pulling the data from a text file that contains the values for catname, catorder, thumbs, and parent.

I've done this for adding categories in other applications (i.e. joomla), but I'm having a problem adding them this way in photopost.

The sql query executes and the categories are created. However, they don't show up in photopost admin.

Are there any of the other column values for categories that need to be set a certain way?

I'm a database novice so any pointers would be appreciated.
scritty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #4
scritty
Verified Customer

Got it figured out (I think).

After I run the query to add the subcategories, I then went to photopost admin and opened and saved the main category. This added the subcategory numbers to the children column of the main category. Now the subcategories show up.
Old January 24th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #5
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

You can not add categories though some bulk query. More than queries are done as in your categories need to be created under the data directory this is all done through the script when it does the processes in the script built in.

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Old January 27th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #6
scritty
Verified Customer

Ahhhhh...I see what you're saying. But what if I'm only wanting to use the categories that I'm adding through a sql query for the purpose of allowing users to assign their member albums to one of those categories? They won't be adding photos directly into those categories so the data directories won't really be necessary. Is there anything else that the script does that might cause a problem by not executing the script and using the sql query instead?

What I'm trying to do is this: I have a list of several hundred cities and I would like to make each of those cities a category. I would then like for users to be able to assign their albums to one of the categories.

I was able to add the categories with a sql query but it really slowed things down. Do you think this is just a result of the database limitations and/or my server speed? Or is it slowing down due to the limitations of photopost (not a complaint), or possibly from the way I added the categories through the sql query?
Old January 27th, 2009, 11:36 AM   #7
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

To ensure proper operation of the program it is suggested to use the script and add them normally. We can not support or endorse any other means.

Old January 27th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #8
scritty
Verified Customer

Sorry. Was just asking your opinion as to what might cause it to slow down after adding the categories like I did.
Old January 27th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #9
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

well all depends if things where added correctly via the sql.

Old April 9th, 2009, 06:13 AM   #10
crazy4bass
Verified Customer

You should add a check in the photo processing on upload to see if the data structure exists and if it doesn't create it. Then we could do this. It took 30 minutes to create the sql and execute to add 2000 categories. You got any idea how long that would have taken one at a time... Forever. Now I gotta go back and write a script to create the folder structure... (UGH!)
crazy4bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 07:51 AM   #11
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

There is already a script that creates folder structures its called add a category. You must create categories to upload to properly in our program through our program if you do not then oh well you do it manually if you wish.