PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > Before You Buy

Before You Buy Have questions about PhotoPost, ReviewPost and/or PhotoPost Classifieds before you buy?

Old January 11th, 2008, 10:41 PM   #1
jilly
Verified Customer

So with vb 3.7 having a photo gallery option, why would I still need photopost?

and I don't mean this in a rude way at all! So don't let it come across that way

I was going to get photopost when I upgraded my boards to 3.7 - however now with the social networking functions, and the ability to have groups and photos in the groups, what would I use photopost for? WHat extras does photopost have that makes it still a necessary product with 3.7?
sell me on it
jilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #2
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

To my knowledge the profile option for photos is merely that. It is a profile option that allows a user to upload some photos to their profile. It is not a photo gallery community. There is no central place to create categories for users to upload photos to. There is no multimedia functions etc. It is no way close to being a photo gallery function in any capacity. But thats just my take on it. I would suggest you read their features and then read our features and you can clearly see what I mean.

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #3
Subah

The photo gallery in the 3.7 , not a pro gallery like the Photopost and the vBGallery
Subah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 01:25 PM   #4
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

It is not even a photo gallery it is a profile options to upload some personal photos into the users vb profile. Thats it.

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Old January 12th, 2008, 01:36 PM   #5
Zachariah

Send a message via ICQ to Zachariah Send a message via AIM to Zachariah Send a message via MSN to Zachariah Send a message via Skype™ to Zachariah
I enjoy the profile photo area in vB37 for my personal profile. It gives me my own cubicle with personal photos for passer byers to see. I see the new profile as a next step in fixing the thread and posts listing speeds. I can now shut off inline images in signatures and avatars. Then I can push all that junk in the profile area where its OK to be slower.

Some people need a lot more flexibility for a gallery.

Code:
Content visible to verified customers only.
It depends on the need.

Last edited by Zachariah; January 12th, 2008 at 01:44 PM.
Zachariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 09:30 PM   #6
KW802
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
It is not even a photo gallery it is a profile options to upload some personal photos into the users vb profile. Thats it.
... at least so far, even the Jelsoft guys are going out of their way to state that the 3.7 features are not meant to be a "photo gallery" replacement.
KW802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 11:15 AM   #7
jilly
Verified Customer

what about the data storage issue?

I am wondering about the hard drive space for photo storage - I was thinking of having a separate hard drive just to store and server the photos from - does that make any sense? Is that even do-able? (lol) - how do others handle the hard drive storage space needed for the photos? And what's the average amount of space you give each user?
jilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 02:04 PM   #8
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Well Most server plans nowadays have plenty of space to run a photo site. I personally do not set user limits but that is up to you and how much space you use. A normal photo when resized will be between 75k and 150k usually so it is totally up to you. restricting users to 2-5mb of diskspace is a norm for most people I think.