PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > General Discussion

General Discussion General use discussion forum for PhotoPost products.

Old November 16th, 2007, 01:35 AM   #1
chabbs
Verified Customer

VBadvanced or VBportal

I'm in the process of developing a new site that will include Photopost Pro and a VB forum. I'm thinking that the best way to manage everything is through a CMS/portal system like VBadvanced or VBportal. Is one of these better than the other? Do you know of any sites that are using either one? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
chabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 07:26 AM   #2
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Hello I prefer vbPortal over Vbadvanced. vbPortals sidebar is automatically shown over our gallery whereas CMPS is not so vbPortal is better IMO. I dont know sites off hand since each site would have exampes much like we have examples here of sites running our software. My site has vbportal

http://www.reeftalk.com

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 10:12 AM   #3
KW802
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabbs View Post
I'm in the process of developing a new site that will include Photopost Pro and a VB forum. I'm thinking that the best way to manage everything is through a CMS/portal system like VBadvanced or VBportal. Is one of these better than the other? Do you know of any sites that are using either one? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Are you running PhotoPost PHP Pro or PhotoPost vBGallery?

If your goal is to integrate your gallery with your portal then PhotoPost PHP Pro + vBPortal is the easier solution since the coding style of PHP Pro does not lend itself to be easily integrated with vBulletin based applications like vBadvanced CMPS (believe me, I've tried... you can find my 'hack' on how to do it with PP 5.x in the forums).

On the other hand, if you're using PhotoPost vBGallery then I'd recommend going with vBadvanced CMPS because it's much easier to integrate the two and CMPS will use your existing vBulletin styles while vBPortal requires modifications to your vBulletin styles to function correctly.

Personally I prefer vBadvanced CMPS for a number of reasons but if your goal is to integrate PhotoPost PHP Pro with a portal then vBPortal is the easier method without hacking code, otherwise check out vBadvanced CMPS.

If you're not looking at integrating the two items, your gallery and your portal, then I'd recommend starting with vBadvanced CMPS since it's a freebie and then exploring the forums here & at vBa for various modules that you may want. That way if you decide CMPS doesn't fit your needs then you can always get a vBPortal license. On a side note, I have not tried it with the latest version of each but at least with the older versions of CMPS and vBPortal you were able to have both of them installed at the same time without conflicting with each other but I'd suggest checking with their corresponding support forums to confirm that with the current versions before attempting it.
KW802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #4
CHOPPERB

Im running vbportal,photopost and photopost classifieds.

http://www.bikershangout.com
Old November 16th, 2007, 05:30 PM   #5
chabbs
Verified Customer

Quote:
Are you running PhotoPost PHP Pro or PhotoPost vBGallery?
I'm going to be running Photopost Pro.
Quote:
style of PHP Pro does not lend itself to be easily integrated with vBulletin based applications like vBadvanced CMPS
Isn't VBportal a VBulletin based product?

I'm going to be integrating everything so that I could display both the photos and the new posts on an index page. I think it'll make more sense to give people one gateway to access the different features.

Thanks Chopper and Chuck for the links.

I'm interested in seeing other sites using either programs if anyone else is using them.
chabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:35 PM   #6
KW802
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabbs View Post
Isn't VBportal a VBulletin based product?
I'd say it is a product that has evolved into being a vBulletin based product based upon it's history. I'm sure others will argue some minutia about the phrase of 'vBulletin based product' and what not but in short... since you're using PHP Pro in this case vBPortal would the easier solution if you want to actually directly integrate your portal and your gallery together as opposed to displaying modules on your portal that extract data from your gallery.
KW802 is offline   Reply With Quote