PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > General Discussion

General Discussion General use discussion forum for PhotoPost products.

Old October 4th, 2007, 07:10 AM   #1
John Thawley
Verified Customer

Embedding with VbAdvanced

I have a new board with VbAdvanced, VbBulletin and PhotoPost Pro. I have everything working fine with one exception.

In my header is a "Home" button... in VbAdvanced and VbBulletin it properly redirects to the entry page which is VbAdvance (CMPS)... however, when I go into the Gallery (PhotoPost) the Home button simply refreshes the Gallery index page.

I need to get this pointing back to the site's entry page. Suggestions?

John
John Thawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 08:53 AM   #2
KW802
Verified Customer

John,

In your header template what is the current code for your "Home" button?
KW802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 02:00 PM   #3
John Thawley
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW802 View Post
John,

In your header template what is the current code for your "Home" button?
sorry... not exactly sure which header you're asking about. It's all one header... and, as I say, it works properly for Vbadvanced, VbBulletin, VbBlogs.. etc. That said, the PhotoPost is installed to its own directory called "gallery."

From my root directory, everything (except Photopost) is installed under a directory called Forums. Likewise, from the root, Photopost is installed in Gallery

here is the URL... http://www.almsforums.com

Thanks,

John
John Thawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 07:59 PM   #4
Skipsoutdoors
Verified Customer

I ran into the same issue. What you are probably referring to as the header is actually the Navbar.

What I ended up doing to solve the problem was using one of the navigation modules for vBadvanced and cutting it down to just home page and forums. Made it one of the custom templates, then moved the custom template to the top of the stack above the stats block.

I don't mean this in a bad way, but I am a little disappointed in the photopost pro that it's not more integratable easier with vBadvanced. I would have thought it would have been pre packaged to do so given that both products are from the same manufacturer. I've found a hack or 2 to do it but so far neither have worked at all.

There should be a prepackaged way to integrate photopostpro with vBadvanced the same as you can now integrate the forum. That way the side boxes on all my pages look like they came from the same design. The photopost boxes aren't that swooft looking IMO compared to the vBadvanced boxes and they are 10 times harder to edit. I generally edit something like that in dreamweaver, but with all the php in the templates my dream weaver won't display the template into something I can see.

Skip
Skipsoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 09:15 AM   #5
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Photopost Pro does not claim any integration with vbadvanced. We claim integration with vbulletin so you might want to consider that as your comments above make it sound like you expected some type of integration with a product we do not support.

There are tons of hacks to show stuff on vbadvanced here. Here is just one such mod.

http://www.photopost.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125806

You can also try and include our file we use for the forumhome in vbulletin. It is really quite simple you make a new module php file like so called ppblock. You put like contents in there like this.

<?
include('../photopost/inc_features.php');
echo "$photopostfeature";
?>

You would upload that to your modules directory. You then can add a new module block to vbadvanced and you can follow their directions on how to use their product and setup new blocks. Sorry I do not use that application. I prefer vbportal which integrates with photopost seamlessly. Gotta love that product. vbadvanced should be able to assist you with how to operate their product and define new blocks.

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 10:10 AM   #6
KW802
Verified Customer

Skipoutdoors: In this case it really is in the 'header' template and not the 'navbar' template. John is using a custom style by ExtremePixels where the buttons have been moved up to the header template.

Chuck: Even though the title of the thread is "Embedding with vBAdvanced" it looks like his problem is that when you are on his PP vBGallery page that the "Home" button in his style doesn't go 'home' but rather just refreshes the current page. He is using vBadvanced CMPS as an example of where the Home button is working fine. He is not really trying to integrate PP vBGallery with CMPS at this time, just trying to get his "Home" button working while in vBGallery.

John: Please go into your Admin Control Panel (ACP) and then select Styles & Templates => Style Manager. Find the name of your custom style that you are using and press the "Go" button. You'll see a page with several items on it but at the very top you'll see a section named "Common Templates" and one of them is named "Header" -- That's the one we're after. Please copy & paste the contents of the "Header" template so we can see the code that is out there for the "Home" button. If you prefer, you can PM it to me as well. Also, please let me know where exactly you want your 'home' button to go to, to your Forum home or to the CMPS main page.
Old October 5th, 2007, 11:48 AM   #7
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Kev my comment is directed at Skip. His comments make it seem like we should automatically integrate with a product we do not claim to integrate with in any manner. It has nothing to do with John and his custom link he is coding up.

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Old October 5th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #8
KW802
Verified Customer

[ Resolved via PM]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
Kev my comment is directed at Skip. His comments make it seem like we should automatically integrate with a product we do not claim to integrate with in any manner. It has nothing to do with John and his custom link he is coding up.
Code:
Content visible to verified customers only.
Old October 7th, 2007, 11:39 AM   #9
Skipsoutdoors
Verified Customer

I understand where you are coming from Chuck, and my comments weren't meant to be slamming photopost, merely constructive for future versions.

The fact is, there are a whole lot of people operating vB based forums that aren't programmers. I'm one of them. I have had engineering training in College, and have taken computer courses, but that was 20 years ago when Windows was a pipe dream and most computers looked like a text Unix interface. The long and short, what skill I have is from operating a vB based site over the last 5 years.

This is the first experience I've had with photopost. I had tried at one time to integrate Coppermine to my forums but wasn't able to pull it off like I'd hoped. I just thought that this software would have been a little easier to integrate, and for what it's worth, it's easier than coppermine. Still, in general I thought it could have been made a little more seemless. I've been using vBAdvanced for 3 or 4 years now. Still have a forum with 1. something on it. I was impressed when I built DON these past few weeks that the 3. vB advanced was much easier to integrate and worked a lot better.

I suppose it's kind of like buying a Kubota front end loader for my Kubota tractor v's a Bush Hog brand end loader. I'd expect the Bush Hog brand to require more drilling, welding, and adapting than the Kubota version would to install it.

Skip
Skipsoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #10
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

It is all a matter how you look at it yes but I merely point out we do not integrate with vbadvanced. Basically what your trying to do is build some vbadvanced block that shows our photos in which the case is you might want to search our mod forums. There are various ideas there to assist you in this forum

http://www.photopost.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=139