PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > Before You Buy

Before You Buy Have questions about PhotoPost, ReviewPost and/or PhotoPost Classifieds before you buy?

Old August 28th, 2006, 08:48 AM   #1
Alphabravo
Verified Customer

Question PHP issue

I noticed in the requirements for installing the PhotoPost Classifieds that SafeMode must be OFF. But if users are only uploading images, isn't then sufficient that the image folder is set to 777 ? I meet all other requirements except for the safe mode issue.
Alphabravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 09:35 AM   #2
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Hello

Not really the user uploads directory that must be created can not be created. New categories can not be created etc. Safe Mode hoses things because permissions

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Chuck S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #3
Alphabravo
Verified Customer

Question Hi Chuck

There is absolutely no way around this ? because I have other php scripts that work fine with uploads with safe mode ON. I would hate to think that I have to move my forum to other server not being an advanced techie and I really need this module badly to accommodate my forum.
Old August 28th, 2006, 10:54 AM   #4
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Our program requirements are as you see them safe mode needs to be off.

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Old August 28th, 2006, 01:14 PM   #5
Alphabravo
Verified Customer

Hmmmmm

Yes, I see the obvious BUT you didn't really answer my question however. I am amazed that programming engineers like you guys here at PhotoPost cannot come up with a solution that affects so many users that do not have safe mode turned off. MOre and more hosts are setting the safe mode on for security reasons.

Thanks for your time....
Old August 28th, 2006, 05:04 PM   #6
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

I answered your question just fine twice. I stated you must have safe mode off on the server.

Actually only like .05% of hosts set safe mode on. These are usually smaller outfits. Most big name hosts do not set safe mode to on cause they know its prevents alot of programs from functioning especially concerning file uploads.

Old August 28th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #7
Alphabravo
Verified Customer

Chuck

Sorry Chuck I didn't mean to sound grunchy..... at least now I am getting wiser.... since it will only be image that user will upload, I could actually run it but my members will just not be able to upload any images, right ?

Does it help that I have *fopen* feature switched on ? sorry to ask these questions but as I said I am not a techie.... :-(

I just need to know before even buying your script, if by having safe mode switched on, the only thing that my members cannot do is to upload pictures.

Oh by the way, I know from my forum that chmod setting 755 does not work on my server, I have to chmod files to 777 instead but as I understand it, this does break any security issues ?
Old August 28th, 2006, 06:50 PM   #8
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

We can guarantee that it would work with safe mode on which is why we post it needs to be off. If you have vbulletin forum you can buy vbgallery which works with safe mode

Old August 28th, 2006, 07:14 PM   #9
Alphabravo
Verified Customer

??

And what vbgallery would that be, I can't seem to find that on your site. And does it have the same nice features as your photopost classifieds ?
Old August 29th, 2006, 07:52 AM   #10
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Oops no classifieds is unique. vbgallery is a lite version just for vbulletin to compare with photopost pro.

As I stated from a company standpoint we do not guarantee things will work with safe mode on. I would recommend moving your site to anyone of the bazillion hosts who are not paranoid and do not run safe mode on.

Old August 29th, 2006, 08:24 AM   #11
Alphabravo
Verified Customer

fine

Chuck

I thought that you might be referring to another version of the classifieds but as you realized, it's the classified version I am looking for as I like the features that the classifieds has.

You know what I think I will try and purchase it and see if I can resolve the issue regarding safe mode. I will try and set the image upload folder to 777 and hopefully it will resolve the issue, otherwise it's no big deal for now. I might be changing host later on anyway.

But tell me Chuck, is there any risk of chmod'ing files to 777 instead of 755 as indicated in installation ? cause as I mentioned earlier as far as I remember I wasn't able to set chmod to 755.

Oh, one last thing just to be absolutely sure..... does this script work with the Gold version of vBulletin 3.6 ?
Old August 29th, 2006, 08:40 AM   #12
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

chmoding the uploads and data directories to 777 is what is noted to do in the install instructions as always when dealing with file uploads to a server you want to resulting directories to be 777 to allow uploads.

Old August 29th, 2006, 08:51 AM   #13
Alphabravo
Verified Customer

Ok, thanks, I will proceed to purchase either today or during the week.