PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > General Discussion

General Discussion General use discussion forum for PhotoPost products.

Old August 2nd, 2006, 01:20 PM   #1
Michael P
PhotoPost Developer
Verified Customer

PhotoPost 5.5 Preview

Development is well under way for a 5.5 release of PhotoPost PRO. I thought I'd give you a sneak peak so that you can offer your suggestions/comments.

http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/index.php

New features:

. Photo uploads now have options to disable ratings/comments on the photo by the member
. AJAX technology to control scrolling of the calendar pal (click on the arrows)
. AJAX technology to allow reshufflling of the "random features" pal
. AJAX technology to display EXIF Information on a photo (see this photo and click on Show EXIF Info
. AJAX technology to allow scrolling of the filmstrip previews (forward and back)
. Filmstrips will have one additional photo on each side when used in the vertical format
. Various formatting changes to clean up pages for better presentation
. (testing) Uniform thumbnails - cropping of thumbnails so that they all appear uniformly
. Profile page includes a link to the member's "forum" profile
. "Spinning indicator" and PLease Wait message appears when user hits SUBMIT to upload photo
. Moving more PHP code away from templates
. Close Comments to an open photo (comments continue to display, just no new ones allowed)
. Open Comments - undo the above
. Notices about comments to a photo include the message
. Notification emails about new comments are not sent when poster adds a comment
. Option to set timelimit for editing of comments (admin and mod exempt)
. fixed bug with Group By Member that showed last photo uploaded if setting to show all members photos in members gallery was turned on.
. improved child navbits when viewing albums assigned to a category or as a subcat of another album (includes subalbum and category parent name in navbits).
. ability for admin to change the owner of an album they created to someone else.

Please note: ViperAlley is a live site, not a "demo" area for users to register and post their own photos. Please respect my site and leave "testing" for when we release a BETA.

Development is ongoing, so you may encounter changes in progress depending on when you are using the site.

Last edited by Michael P; September 22nd, 2006 at 01:37 PM.
Michael P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 08:01 PM   #2
Exitilus
Verified Customer

Awesome! I can't wait till the beta comes out
Exitilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 06:10 PM   #3
b6gm6n

Wicked... i love the ajax features... and talking of which... if PP-Pro and Ajax don't meet via the upload button i'll be surprized - Gotta have something there saying "Upload in progress..." notice how vB3.6 has adopted a 'progress' meter for their forms etc... i think PP wouldn't be PP without one

One thing that bugs me about PP (and this is the reason i have PP because it's great etc... BUT) the mainstay of our gallery is the presentation of the pictures themselves... no gallery is a gallery without them... so concidering these are the most viewed pages i wouldnt mind seeing more info on the uploader (especially if integrated with a forum)...comments on pictures show an avatar etc...i think showphoto should have something more for the uploader... on our site ratings are everything...comments also... but i've noticed that some posters just love 'presenting' their photos, they try adding text and a little formatting etc... but i think making the presentation of ones photo the best it can be would really give a boost to the user to show off or whatever... or it's just an extra bit of useful information for someone to view...

Im sure anyone whos been to my gallery are sick & tired of viewing the same old category thumbnails... now if they were dynamic...a quick look at the showgallery pages would see the various cats and whats there not only using the latest update thumbs...but cat thumbs also... just a thought

I'll be trying my hand at some more selectable styles for PP soon...

Anyways...i forgot to say... our gallery is busy, for some reason i've seen fights, arguments hissy fits and tantrums if a users gallery views go's down... Most views is kind it seems... most comments... naa not interested... but if a users gallery has got more views them.... their ego just cant take it when they place a pic in the auto-recycle gallery... they loose views when they eventually get deleted... also when they delete themselves... but i wondered... hows about (and vB or mods for it seem to pump this kinda thing out lots of times) and that is a viewable public stats system for a users gallery if possible... if there's anything more that is... i dunno... but yeah if they could have a 'views to date' that would settle so many arguments on my site atleast... and give a user a chance to view it and say "hmmm"... god knows... but anyways, looking forward to the updates...very cool

-b6
b6gm6n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 07:14 PM   #4
Michael P
PhotoPost Developer
Verified Customer

Seriously, I've been trying to make a better uploader section - using AJAX. But here are the stumbling blocks we can talk through:

I wanted to make it simple - first page you upload your photos, second page you enter your info. Nice and clean; as you upload photos, you get thumbnails of whats in your uploads directory and can even remove them before processing to the information entering phase.

All fine and dandy until you realize that you have to enter the title, description and whatever for a bulk upload feature which requires that info on the first page. Does that mean having two uploads types - bulk and normal?

What about making the "default" title and description for the images you are uploading; I was thinking we could have a "checkbox" to say copy title/desc from the first area into subsequent images; but if you have more than a page worth, does the info carry from one page to the next? If so, how do you know when it does and when it doesn't?

I know bulk upload is popular for alot of people; so just how do we make the process work for everyone without confusing everyone?
Old August 3rd, 2006, 09:39 PM   #5
b6gm6n

hmm... well i've seen alot of upload pages on various sites, youtube for example is the opposite of what you describe... infor first then upload later... i think thats because they only deal in singular uploads at a time...

Now, i've had users ask me "how do i upload"... i know... but KISS is the way... Keep it stupid simple, I've seen my PP upload screen so many times i think now with that experience and what a users wants to see i may have another suggestion... along the same lines as what you have said... firstly, a user clicks the 'Upload' link... then your presented with the simplest of choices (as you say) Normal Uploading or Bulk Uploading... on this page 2 simple buttons leading off to relavant sections is fine... but also on this screen i think you should also see a quick summary of your gallery stats also, yes it's there now but i think in an instant it should be viewable... then onto the Normal or Bulk screens... 'Normal' would still consist of the amount of upload inputs you have chosen and then your free to anything with the bulk upload sections to make it easier...

and yes maybe a checkbox to copy the title&description onto the next photosm same with the cats...

On that very first screen with 2 choices and somes stats...if poss, would be great to show a red bar or some other graphic like the vB PM stats but in PP to show how much space you have left to upload to etc etc etc... just an idea... but whatever happens...animation while uploading...!

-b6
Old August 7th, 2006, 09:25 AM   #6
Michael P
PhotoPost Developer
Verified Customer

A spinning wheel in no problem, we can add that. The whole upload process, though; I'm not sure about building an entirely new interface and giving the user an option of the "old" way or the "new" way (Bulk or nonBulk itself may be too confusing for people - what about people just wanting to finish the upload process of the files in their uploads directory?); seems like there has to be a simplier way to combine the whole process into a straight upload and information entering process that allows for bulk uploading as it has been.
Old August 7th, 2006, 11:15 AM   #7
JoeWho
Verified Customer

Question new verison w/Top Posters scroll box?

Hi,

Since you are working on a new verison... what the chance of getting the Top Posters in a scroll box?

I would like to list the 50 -Top Posters but I don't want it to take up the whole column... is this possible?

Thanks
JoeWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 12:04 PM   #8
Michael P
PhotoPost Developer
Verified Customer

Hmmmm, I would think that a modification could do that easily enough; but putting it into the product would probably take a bit of work as I'm not sure just how many people would want to have that there (and the space taken up by the scroll bar) - space like that on a sidebar is at a premium.
Old August 7th, 2006, 12:56 PM   #9
JoeWho
Verified Customer

Thanks for the reply

I don't want the box any wider and I don't want the names to word-rap. See attached.

Thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scroll-box.jpg (45.9 KB, 34 views)
Old August 7th, 2006, 01:16 PM   #10
Michael P
PhotoPost Developer
Verified Customer

I'll take it into consideration; otherwise it makes for a good modification to post!
Old August 7th, 2006, 01:40 PM   #11
JoeWho
Verified Customer

Ok, thanks.

Can you tell me how to do it?

Thanks.
Old August 7th, 2006, 03:13 PM   #12
mjm
Ultimate Member
Verified Customer

Great to read about 5.5 preview!
I'd like to revisit some old suggestions and see if they would be considered or not ..
How do you suggest going about it? Post further requests/link to suggestions?
Will you be having a Beta Forum?

Thanks!

Mark
mjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #13
Michael P
PhotoPost Developer
Verified Customer

When I'm ready to post a BETA, I'll open the forum again. You can post links to the suggestions here, I'll look into them.
Old August 7th, 2006, 07:51 PM   #14
b6gm6n

On the upload screen, perhaps you can leave as is... a more visual indicator like the vB PM bar would instantly tell you how much space you have left or whatever... there's alot of numbers and bytes and boxes on the upload page, i think more visual - so perhaps have you thought of the windows xp upload tool...maybe good for later use, something to think about, i think with the upload animation and the bar to say "oh i have 80% free space" at a glance then cool... it'll take some time to work out the rest...it'll evolve in time

-b6
Old August 7th, 2006, 08:23 PM   #15
Michael P
PhotoPost Developer
Verified Customer

I like the visual indicator and will work on that.
Old August 8th, 2006, 06:17 AM   #16
SaN-DeeP
Verified Customer

thanks michael do consider implementing some suggestions burried in forums since long time as well
PP with ajax looks nice on your site.
SaN-DeeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 08:10 AM   #17
b6gm6n

cool... one last thing if possible, i think it would most impressive not only for the user viewing the picture/whatever but also for the uploader...if integrated with a forum to show the uploaders avatar etc, many forum users use an avatar and i think it would create an extra bit of personalization to an upload... one of the first things i see when looking at forum posts is the users avatar...a quick look and i know whos who... simple, but i think overall it's something i think is missing, an option of course to disable for those not wanting the extra querys etc...i'll make a rendition of the showphoto page with avatar and extra info and upload it here...see what you think, i'll do that 2nite

-b6
Old August 8th, 2006, 08:33 AM   #18
Michael P
PhotoPost Developer
Verified Customer

where would you put the avatar?
Old August 8th, 2006, 02:32 PM   #19
Michael P
PhotoPost Developer
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by b6gm6n View Post
On the upload screen, perhaps you can leave as is... a more visual indicator like the vB PM bar would instantly tell you how much space you have left or whatever... t
Like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vagraph.jpg (20.5 KB, 51 views)
Old August 8th, 2006, 02:36 PM   #20
WB
Verified Customer

Michael:

Nice feature set.

One general question related to the upcoming release of 5.5 (particularly this release since there's the increasing use of AJAX).

The last version (that I recall seeing listed, my apologies if this is wrong) that was security audited was 5.1x.

Given the new features introduced since then, do you all periodically get the code reviewed to make sure no issues are introduced with the updated code?

We've been seeing a number of issues in other php apps. If an 'ongoing' audit isn't currently the case, we'd suggest some periodic reviews so that PP can continue to be on the 'proactive' edge versus the 'reactive' edge that we've seen from other php app vendors.

Thanks.
WB is offline   Reply With Quote