PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > Before You Buy

Before You Buy Have questions about PhotoPost, ReviewPost and/or PhotoPost Classifieds before you buy?

Old July 17th, 2006, 12:35 PM   #1
Ted M
Verified Customer

vBadvanced?

Hello all,

Sorry for yet ANOTHER newbie question!

I just checked out vBadvanced... and that looks very cool... perhaps what I want for my site.

Perhaps I should just explain what I'd like for my site and some folks on here can help steer me in the right direction:

My site is primarily used for hobbyist activities (photography, scrapbooking, Photoshop tutorials, etc).

Nothing commercial. At least no plans to ever be commercial.

I'd like: a gallery (that my friends, family, and I can create galleries/albums/etc); a forum (again, for friends and family); a place for me to create tutorials or other such files.

The problem lies in that I have ZILCH programming experience.

So I guess my question is: Am I over my head here? Should I just try to make one of those geocities.com sites and be done with it? The problem with that is... it doesn't allow for flexibility and/or growth. (IMHO).

I'm at the point where I am willing to PAY somebody to install the forums, gallery, etc... but it's not that easy finding a good web developer out there who doesn't want thousands of dollars because they do it for corporate giants.

I think vBadvanced is pretty nice in that it has a nice "portal" (I think that is what it's called?!) as a welcome screen. But is vBadvanced hard to install? Or can I also hire somebody to install it for me?

If I DO want (and am able to find) somebody to install these components, what do they need? My userid and password for my FTP client?

Again, I'm sorry for the newbie questions --- everybody here seems so knowledgable it's embarassing me to post them --- but I'm at wit's end and hoping for the guidance from some kindly strangers here.

Thanks for reading!
Ted
Ted M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 01:37 PM   #2
KW802
Verified Customer

Ted,

To answer the vBa questions...

- It's actually pretty easy to install; just upload some files to your server and run the install script. If you have a custom style installed you might have to update your graphics image paths.

- The guys over there do offer a paid installation service. CMPS itself is free but if you want them to install it that option is available. They would need your FTP user name & PW to upload the files and then your forums user name & PW to run the install script.

- If you get somebody else to install it other than the vBa team then just choose carefully. Remember, you don't want to be giving out your user names & PWs to just anybody.

For the gallery...

- Both PhotoPost vBGallery and PhotoPost Pro will do an admirable job for you. If you let us know if there are any specific needs/wants you have in gallery we may be able to give a recommendation of one over the other.

KW802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #3
Sybaris
Verified Customer

I'll put it all together for you ted, for next to nothing.

I have worked on a site for a lady on vbadvanced i sorted it out basicaly after she had broken it.

Now i am not taking away from the pro install that you will pay a lot of money for but you will get the same thing at a fraction of the cost.

If your interested in speaking about it pm me and i will give you my msn and we can have a chat, if after that you decide to go with a pro install i will still be there to help with other things.

sybaris.
Sybaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 01:51 PM   #4
KW802
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybaris
Now i am not taking away from the pro install that you will pay a lot of money for but you will get the same thing at a fraction of the cost.
I'm going to just assume you mean the total cost of installing everything (install vBulletin by Jelsoft, installing vBa CMPS by vBa, and installing a gallery by PP) since a vBa CMPS install is just $14.99 -- Not exactly a lot of money.
Old July 17th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #5
Sybaris
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW802
I'm going to just assume you mean the total cost of installing everything (install vBulletin by Jelsoft, installing vBa CMPS by vBa, and installing a gallery by PP) since a vBa CMPS install is just $14.99 -- Not exactly a lot of money.
yep thats exactly what i meant taken as a whole it rather steep
Old July 17th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #6
Ted M
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW802
Hey! For a school teacher, $14.99 is dinners for a month!!

Costco and ramen! Costco and ramen!

*grin*
Old July 17th, 2006, 02:00 PM   #7
Sybaris
Verified Customer

and for a father of 2 its a years spending money (not that i am allowed to spend money but hey a man can dream)..
Old July 17th, 2006, 02:04 PM   #8
Ted M
Verified Customer

Sure you can spend money... just ask her her ring size (you should know this already, you cad!) and ask what Playstation games are wanted by the little ones...

Old July 17th, 2006, 02:06 PM   #9
KW802
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted M
Hey! For a school teacher, $14.99 is dinners for a month!!

Costco and ramen! Costco and ramen!

*grin*
Hey, $14.99 also goes a long way for lunches off of the Wendys $0.99 menu.

{... and don't get me started on rings. Once you pay for that first ring it'll keep on costing you for many, many years to come! }
Old July 17th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #10
Sybaris
Verified Customer

good god playstation its an xbox360 and a nintendo ds now, my kids are expensive.
Old July 17th, 2006, 02:10 PM   #11
KW802
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybaris
good god playstation its an xbox360 and a nintendo ds now, my kids are expensive.
All depends on how old Ted is... I'm in my mid 30's (the much aligned Generation X) but I've noticed that the Baby Boomers have taken to calling every game console a 'playstation.' Doesn't matter if it's Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo... if it hooks up to your TV to play games then to them it's a playstation.
Old July 17th, 2006, 02:12 PM   #12
Sybaris
Verified Customer

yea i suppose, playstation does seem to be a generic term for all systems nowadays, God how much would sony have paid for that if you asked them to when they were developing the PS1?
Old July 17th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #13
Ted M
Verified Customer

We'll just say that my first video game was......

*drumroll*

Pong.
Old July 17th, 2006, 02:18 PM   #14
Sybaris
Verified Customer

I thought that was what you did after a hard days work
Old July 17th, 2006, 02:26 PM   #15
Michael P
PhotoPost Developer
Verified Customer

I had Pong... really. We played that for hours, too.

Back when MTV was good.
Old July 17th, 2006, 02:31 PM   #16
KW802
Verified Customer

Now I don't feel so old... the first video game console in our house growing up was also pong! It was this unit from Radio Shack with two controllers... one was a giant controller that looked like an old WWII walkie-talkie and the second controller was just a small square box with the paddle on it. The first controller contained the logic board and served a dual purpose as both the console and the 1st player paddle. I remember playing that thing for hours on the TV in the living room against my brother.

And when I think back to what year that was, I feel very old.

{Thanks, Michael -- Now I've got "Video Killed The Radio Star" stuck in my head! }
Old July 17th, 2006, 02:34 PM   #17
Sybaris
Verified Customer

That is the game that burnt its image into the screen do you remember that.
Old July 17th, 2006, 02:36 PM   #18
Ted M
Verified Customer

Yep... Pong was awesome!

Don't get me started on my Commodore Vic 20! I even was special enough to have the cassette recorder to store my data on a cassette! :P
Old July 17th, 2006, 02:38 PM   #19
Sybaris
Verified Customer

I was a spectrum man myself and the 48k version no less, better class of person the speccy user non of this commodore elitism for us...
Old July 17th, 2006, 02:38 PM   #20
Michael P
PhotoPost Developer
Verified Customer

Okay, my Pong was a little older. It was a big console with an on/off switch and a reset button and two controllers.

Anyone remember the Synclair? Yeah, I had one of those, too. lol

Oh, and an Adam.

Let's see who remembers those....