PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > General Discussion

General Discussion General use discussion forum for PhotoPost products.

Old June 28th, 2006, 08:03 AM   #1
ThomasR
Verified Customer

Upgrading and moving the forum.. moving and upgrading the gallery...

Hi,

My current forum is under vb 3.0.7 and my gallery is vba 1.0.1.

As you can imagine, I just upgraded my forum to 3.5.4, but also changed it's name and location (not the same URL and domain).
But how do I do for my gallery? I just upgrade it to the last version of Photopost vbgallery and I don't know how do I upgrade in this case.

-First, I tried to do an upgrade. Failed, because of the database (vb3_ for the prefix of the table, the upgrade is looking for a vb35_) Then, I copy my table, and just rename them to vb35_ and do an upgrade. I have a phrase problem (well, reinstalled the phrase, it's ok) and each time i click in the vbgallery group in the admincp, I have a database error (some fields in the table seem to miss).

-Then, I tried to do an Install. Impossible, already installed for the script.

-I do an uninstall and then install... but an empty gallery...

Well, my question is simple how do I correct that. Or better, how can I import the data from my old gallery to my new installed one?

Do I open a Ticket?

Thanks for your help!
ThomasR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 10:54 AM   #2
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

If you go within your vbulletin admin you should be able to change all the url's and such for the gallery to operate under to the new settings. You can then edit your gallery_global.php file to point to the new vbulletin install and then should be able to upgrade as normal.

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #3
ThomasR
Verified Customer

The problem is that currently, I don't want to shut down the original gallery, that's why I was looking for a way to "import" in my new install.

But you are speaking of my old gallery or the new one?

I'll check what you said and I'll give you my feedback if I have a problem.
Old June 28th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #4
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

You can not run multiple copies of the software without purchasing additional licenses so yes I am speaking of how to fix your existing gallery.

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Old June 29th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #5
ThomasR
Verified Customer

It wasn't a problem of multiple copy. My original gallery is currently off.

I didn't have a problem to install the new gallery, but for the upgrade, it didn't find the database, because of the database name wich isn't the same.
Then, I can move the gallery files, but then, how can it works without the informations in the -new- database?

Please, can you give me the exact step for the install/upgrade?
my original gallery have this SQL prefix vb3(_adv_gallery) and the new one vb35_

Or perhaps I only have to swap some filed/entry/database parts?

Thanks again for your support!
Old June 29th, 2006, 12:58 PM   #6
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

If you upgraded vbulletin all you should have to do is download vbgallery for 3.5 and run the upgrade script. If you moved the database you need to move the gallery tables to the new database along with the new vbulletin tables. The options for the gallery are within the admin section of vbgallery and you can change those to match what they should be.

It appears to me your issue involves you moving your install to a new database which 99% of people don't do upgrading vbulletin. I can not tell you what to do without knowing 100% what you did do which is outside the normal upgrade path of vbulletin.

Old June 29th, 2006, 01:16 PM   #7
ThomasR
Verified Customer

Ok, I did what you said and everything was ok. It was something I did, but I run the first time an upgrade directly.
This time, I install first, then, replace the new database tables by the old ones and did the upgrade. No database errors.

Now, I have another problem (sorry!) :
I can't see any picture or thumbnails in my gallery, I only have the name. but if I do a right click on the image title and choose "Display image / show image" (I'm not sure of the firfox translation, I don't have an english version) then, my image is displayed (I mean, the path is good) and if I go back, then, it is displayed well in the gallery.

I can see the cause of that: I import the gallery database, but the users are still not imported from the old forum: their is no user in vb database except some test users. Do you think the problem come from here?
Old June 29th, 2006, 01:30 PM   #8
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

If you moved things did you in the admin options of the gallery update the server path and url's to the files ?

Old June 29th, 2006, 05:49 PM   #9
ThomasR
Verified Customer

yes... I'm currently rebuild all the thumbnail of my forum, I'll try to rebuild the gallery image information and thumbnails after (rebuild 15000 thumbnails is a bit long...)

If you want to see what happen: http://forums.polyloop.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=1096
No picture displayed. If you right clic on the "EARING" text and ask your browser to display the image, it will do it. (that's the weird thing...)
Old June 29th, 2006, 06:20 PM   #10
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Did you in the admin of vbulletin for the gallery options update the server path to the files and user directories?

Old June 30th, 2006, 04:43 AM   #11
ThomasR
Verified Customer

yes, everything is fine here... I rebuild the thumbails, nothing happens.
I'm checking with the admin if it's not a permission problems one the files in the files folder.

Also, after the import, all the accents of the french words changed to weird characters: "immédiat" become "immédiat". Do you know how to fix it?
The french language is in ISO-8859-1 encoding, and the gallery seems to look for an UTF-8 encoding. If I change the encoding in the vb language manager to UTF-8, all the french posts of my forums are broken. Any clue on that?
I do a search and didn't find a specific answer for this problem.
Old June 30th, 2006, 08:33 AM   #12
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

I would check to see if your new database was created in a different encoding then your old database. This would appear to be your issue using different encoding from the old database to the new one.

Old July 7th, 2006, 05:05 AM   #13
ThomasR
Verified Customer

I may have an idea about the problem: my forum is on a subdomain, which is hosted on an external server of the main domain name.

I'm currently checking that with the external server admin.

But I wanted to know: is it possible to run the gallery on a different server than the forum (for performances and storage reasons too).

Currently, it's on http://forums.polyloop.net/gallery2/ (which is on the external server where is the forum)
And I want to put it on http://gallery.polyloop.net which is only a subdomain of my own server.

Because of the vb integration, I think it's impossible, but I hope i'm wrong
Thanks!
Old July 7th, 2006, 05:08 AM   #14
ThomasR
Verified Customer

Or perhaps I must upgrade to PhotoPost PHP Pro to host my gallery on the main server, and then, connect to my vb database? Is it possible on two hostings?
If yes, do you do upgrade price between both? (I just renew my vba licence..)
Old July 7th, 2006, 05:50 AM   #15
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Here this goes lets go through this.

1. Yes you can host the forum and gallery on different servers and integrate the user login authentication if the forum server allows external mysql connections.

**NOTE. You will have to login at each site since usually in this scenerio the domain name is also different.

2. You may not use the vbulletin enhanced integration if the forum is on another server since we require the server path to the vbulletin global.php file among other files all of which will not exist on the server photopost is on.