PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > Show off your PhotoPost site!

Show off your PhotoPost site! Post about your site, get feedback and see how others use our products.

Old June 22nd, 2006, 12:10 PM   #1
Sybaris
Verified Customer

Cool ThatsShocking

Have a look at the site my partner and I have made. We are aiming towards the younger end of the market (teens early 20's/30's) i am marketing very strongly the abilty to upload photo's to the site straight from a users mobile for automatic inclusion. I have worked on the site for a fair few hours to get it to what it is, it has gone through 3 revisions that i can remember we are fairly pleased with the results so far and would like feedback as to what you think of it.

I have one little bug that need ironing out which is the image verification that Vb uses does not seem to work on the photopost pages but it is something i am working on.

I have quite a few photopost boxes scattered round the site and have 3 different ones on the fron page, one for a random image one for the latest site uploads and the main one for the latest mobile uploads. These seem to work quite well what do you think?

Well have a look round and let me know.

The url is http://www.thatsshocking.com

thanks

sybaris
Sybaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 05:07 PM   #2
ps2wayne
Verified Customer

Send a message via ICQ to ps2wayne Send a message via AIM to ps2wayne Send a message via MSN to ps2wayne Send a message via Yahoo to ps2wayne
Wow I like the look of it a lot. Keep up the good work.
ps2wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 12:18 AM   #3
GateKeeper
Verified Customer

Sign 'em up!

Hey,
I like what you did with the registration. Keep throwing it at them until they sign up. The site clears up, and everybody's happy.
Good thinking!
-GateKeeper
GateKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 03:03 AM   #4
Sybaris
Verified Customer

LOl so its not to much then. I wondered if people would get a little narked at seeing it all the time, however it seems to be working.
Old June 27th, 2006, 07:43 AM   #5
GateKeeper
Verified Customer

It is a pain!

Actually, the registration on every page is a pain! BUT, you make it easy enough to rid yourself of the problem by simply registering. It's a bit like the gnatt buzzing around your face. It's not so bad that you need to leave the vicinity, but you'd sure like to squash it. Anyone spending more than a few minutes on the site will be compelled to sign up!
Sometimes these types of "imposing" requirements are best left to when you gain some momentum, but that is completely up to you. If you're getting the registrations, and/or you're getting a high page view per visitor count then it's probably not hurting to have it there. If you're serious about measuring the effect of having it there, you may want to track your "conversions" just to be sure.
Old June 27th, 2006, 10:21 AM   #6
Sybaris
Verified Customer

Hmm yea i see your point, I think it may be wise to have it on the front page and forum home but not anywhere else,

What do you think?

Infact i'll go and give it a go now.

[edit]Its done and i am of the opinion that it makes it better having a look round but still is in your face/easy enough for people to keep registering

Last edited by Sybaris; June 27th, 2006 at 10:27 AM.
Old June 27th, 2006, 10:53 AM   #7
GateKeeper
Verified Customer

Changing it now is your call, but to be accurate in your assessment you might consider analyzing the logs to see how many visitors you get, how many pages on average they look at, and finally how many new visitors sign up. If you're happy with the average stay, you could conclude they aren't bothered by having the registration in front of them all the time. If you find you have a lot of "bounces", you then may want to consider putting it on the home page alone. It's up to you to decide how to drive change. I am sure the user's experience will be improved by shifting the registration around, so moving it for a few days can't hurt. Good luck with it.
-GateKeeper
Old July 8th, 2006, 01:34 PM   #8
Sybaris
Verified Customer

Well I took off the quick reg from all but the index and forum home, To be honest it was doing my head in seeing it site wide, I also only have the massive mobile phone photoblock on the front page now.

I split the catagorys on the gallery index page I think it is more inkeeping with the rest of the site, What do you think.

Oh and I made the mobile gallery act like the others where by it shows all the photos as they are uploaded rather than the stock way of showing member albums which I didnt like.

What do you think of the modifications then do they enhance the experience?
Old July 31st, 2006, 12:17 PM   #9
Sybaris
Verified Customer

A shameless bump, I have modified the gallery and site a lot since i originaly posted this, so if anyone is so inclined could you let me know what you think of it please

syb...
Old July 31st, 2006, 05:57 PM   #10
SaN-DeeP
Verified Customer

nice green skin for your gallery.
SaN-DeeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 11:32 AM   #11
Sybaris
Verified Customer

Thankyou
Old August 4th, 2006, 03:03 PM   #12
GateKeeper
Verified Customer

Much Better!

Well, for the casual browser, they'll certainly stick around longer if they aren't pestered by a registration screen on every page. Speaking of which, I like the "consolidated" form that has everying in one section. Do you have any object to sharing that part of your template?
Last but not least, the registration form, as much as I like short and concise, does have a lot of fields staring at you. I wonder if you lengthened the Username field and moved the fields around a bit you wouldn't get more takers on the registrations. Just my two cents.
Old August 4th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #13
Sybaris
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateKeeper View Post
I like the "consolidated" form that has everying in one section. Do you have any object to sharing that part of your template?

Not at all go for your life its nice to have done something that appeals to others.

i will have to have a look at the registration template, i never see it being logged in all the time and so it doesnt get revised at all.
Old September 4th, 2006, 02:54 PM   #14
CavySpirit
Verified Customer

Maybe it's just me, and maybe I'm stupid, but as a guest, I see NO obvious navigation to go look at either a forum or a gallery to see if there is anything there that I want to bother to register for. Some good content on the front page, but I was not motivated to try to search out where to go from there. You lost me.
CavySpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 11:00 AM   #15
Sybaris
Verified Customer

You know, You are dead right. I have not once given a thought to whether a guest can navigate the site or not how amature is that!

Thanks for the input it is probably the most important i have had, It seems the default navbar takes the button off on vbadvanced for the forum page and i just copied it for the gallery. I am fixing it now.

Thanks once again for taking the time to let me know your thoughts they are very much apreciated.

sybaris.
Old September 5th, 2006, 12:30 PM   #16
CavySpirit
Verified Customer

You are welcome. I was just hoping I didn't come across as too harsh, but based on the other comments I felt like I wanted to go look at more, but wasn't going to invest a ton of time to sleuth it out. And I never register first to see if I would have wanted to register in the first place!
CavySpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #17
Sybaris
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavySpirit View Post
but wasn't going to invest a ton of time to sleuth it out. And I never register first to see if I would have wanted to register in the first place!
I think we all feel that way and that is why people need the ability to browse the site easily, A small thing but it took you to point it out to me, i feel a little daft now lol
Old November 8th, 2006, 05:26 PM   #18
Stifler

Nice one.

But where did you find this?
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 06:25 AM   #19
Sybaris
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
Nice one.

But where did you find this?
I don't understand? that's just the profile page for photopost and the photo is a friend from work?
Old November 9th, 2006, 02:46 PM   #20
TelTel
Verified Customer

I like the site, the registration bit on every page gets to you a bit, but i'm betting this increses your registered userbase nicely
TelTel is offline   Reply With Quote