PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > General Discussion

General Discussion General use discussion forum for PhotoPost products.

Old June 9th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #1
aaronp
Verified Customer

Upgrade & Integration Roadmap Help

I have been using Photopost 4.6 PHP on a windows IIS server for about 2 years now. I recently upgraded my forums to vB 3.5.4.

vBulletin is currently running on a separate linux server with of course a different database.

I would like to upgrade Photopost to a recent version and integrate it with vBulletin, ideally overwriting the current photopost user base with the vB user base (use the vB database populated with photopost content????). I would also like to move photopost over to the same server as vB (which is an OS and web server switch).

After I get this figured out I also want to integrate vBulletin with Joomla using the commercial bbpixel integration script, which requires that vB and joomla share the same database (which apparently uses vB's registration system (and user database??).

My Questions:

1) Is this possible?

2) Where do I start and roughly how do I proceed? (Roadmap)

3) I have read a little about vBGallery, is that something I should be considering? I am not really looking for the lite or cheap version of anything. I just want to get it done right.
aaronp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #2
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Well you would most likely need to create a script for this. You could use this script here to import the photopost users into vb but you would need to modify this because this is designed to import into a clean vbulletin install

http://www.photopost.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115241

You would of course need to move photopost and its database to the new server and then after modifying and importing the users need to realign the userid's using this script

http://www.photopost.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115240

However before you do that you would need to realign Photopost to integrate with vbulletin and there are several threads here if you do a search on the words switch integration which will pull up the steps I posted before.

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 07:40 PM   #3
aaronp
Verified Customer

Thanks for your quick response.

So the photopost and vbulletin databases remain separate right? They don't need to be merged together or anything?

Should I move photopost to the new server, then try and upgrade to v5 photopost? Or upgrade first, then try and move to the new server?

I am not very concerned with preserving the photopost user names. What if I want to just have the vbulletin user base "take over" and "throw away" all the photopost user data. Old content (photos/videos) would then sort of be archived and users would 'start over' with their new accounts which were brought over from vbulletin (most usernames dont match anyway). Basically so that photopost latches onto vbulletin and its current userbase. Current vBulletin users would already have their login information. Anyone not currently registered with vbulletin would have to. Or is there no way to do this?

And one more question on a related note, if I wanted to bring reviewpost and photopost classifieds "into the mix" would that be something I want to adress now and do it all at once? Or do I want to get the integration running first and then add those products in?

Last edited by aaronp; June 9th, 2006 at 08:54 PM.
Old June 11th, 2006, 08:15 AM   #4
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Well You can upgrade before or after you move the Photopost. As far as not preserving the data the easiest way is to start over fresh as if you do not do the steps as noted above you will end up with alot of Photopost owned by ANONYMOUS. Thus if you want to do what your saying above by making people reregister etc. Just delete your old Photopost and in our members area place the new url Photopost will run on and install a fresh Photopost to integrate with vb3.

The other products can be installed before or after this since they are integrating with vb3 not photopost.

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Old August 20th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #5
aaronp
Verified Customer

I have been looking into this a bit more. Seeing as how I am not a programmer and have limited php knowledge, it seems like me trying to preserve any part of the old database is going to be very hard. I don't even really understand how to implement the forum integration with a blank/new install of photopost (though I could probably figure that much out while going through the process).

But it really seems like a shame to throw away all the photos people have upoaded to my site over the course of years. I would really like to presrve the content/photos at least. Usernames would just be a bonus.

So, a few of questions:

1) Am I right in presuming that this is really a task best suited for an advanced prgrammer? You mention a custom script (because the existing one is meant for a clean install of vbulletin)

2) If this is the case, is it possible to hire photopost to do the work for me? And if not a photpost employee, are there 3rd party people for hire to help with advanced tasks such as this?

3) Any other options worth mentioning?

Thanks so much for your help.
Old August 20th, 2006, 05:37 PM   #6
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

well if you move Photopost to the new server with vb your still going to need to import the users into vbulletin database maybe you could use vbulletins impex importer for this as I think they have a script to import photopost users

Now you could then follow the advice in various threads on switching integration or hire Photopost to do an install which would switch things

Then this script could be run to realign the userid's to the new ones for the users you imported

http://www.photopost.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115240

There is multiples steps to do what you want to do.