PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > Before You Buy

Before You Buy Have questions about PhotoPost, ReviewPost and/or PhotoPost Classifieds before you buy?

Old April 24th, 2006, 02:36 AM   #1
thet

vbGallery vs. Photopost for Flash (SWF) files

Hi.

Seeing as there doesn't seem to be a vBGallery demo, I'm not entirely clear on which product I should choose for my current project.

I've tested Coppermine with success, but I'd prefer a commercial solution with better vbulletin integration.

The site focuses around the site owners/author creating tutorials with Camtasia. Some lessons have up to 32 seperate flash files, to be displayed in series.

Essential is the ability for the site owner to as EASILY as possible (they're NOT a techie - automatic & simple is best):

--> Upload SWF files, and group the parts by lesson
--> Automatically display a gallery of said files, preferably with thumbnails of the first frame of the flash automatically created

Also important is for site visitors to be able to move from flash to flash easily, with as little pain as possible.

If the next flash can be displayed after finishing the first, so much the better. If no, a go to next sequence button will work fine.

End users shouldn't be able to upload their own content. If they're allowed to post comments about media (like they can in coppermine), that's fine, though.

Ease of use & great integration with vb 3.5.4 (plugins over file modifications) are very important.

Thanks!

I'd like to buy by Tuesday.
thet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 09:37 AM   #2
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Hello lets go through each product here

Neither product is going to create a thumbnail off of the video automatically as that requires a specialty server software that is not widely used yet. In Photopost you can upload a thumbnail to represent the multimedia file although in vbgallery you can not.

Both applications integrate with vb 3.5.4 well the main difference being Photopost administration etc is within its own admin panel and vbgallery is within vb admin panel since it is essentially an add on to vb

vBGallery does not play multimedia files although there is a hack you can install. I am not sure whether its totally plugin based or file edits. Now Photopost Pro you can elect to play the video's inline so that when you click the thumbnail it will start playing the video and when done you go to the next video by clicking the next thumbnail.

As far as who can upload and who can comment both applications handle that through usergroup permissions.

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote