PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > Before You Buy

Before You Buy Have questions about PhotoPost, ReviewPost and/or PhotoPost Classifieds before you buy?

Old April 22nd, 2005, 03:56 PM   #1
SlimWicked
Verified Customer

Just a few questions before I purchase

First let me say that I installed the CMPS system late last night and the support here gets 5 (stars). I had everything up in running in 20 min tops with support from you guys. AWSOME!

Now i'm very intersested in your vBadvanced Gallery softwawre. I have read the features and I think its just what im looking for. But here is my issue.

I want to use this but not for images or graphcis. Let me explain what i'm doing then maybe you can better understand what im asking. I'm starting a community for Reason software. Reason is a software program were people can produce there own music. They can also save there reason music in a reason file with the extention *.rst.

What I want to do is use your gallery system so the users can upload there .rst or Reason Files and mp3 files to there own personal gallery. So as you can see pictures are really not what I want to use this for but could this work for me as well?

Now Question 2.
Also if this can work for me. When some uploads a .rst file (reason file) or mp3 file. is it a way I can set it up so that it will so a .rst icon and .mp3 icon that I can design?

DJ SlimWicked

Oopss..forgot my last final question.

Q3. Can the items in the gallery be commented on. I read they could be rated..
SlimWicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2005, 04:02 PM   #2
KW802
Verified Customer

Re: Just a few questions before I purchase

Yes, yes, and yes.

You can add new file types for Gallery to recognize. For example, a default installation already has MP3 added so you'd just have to go in add RST as a valid file extension.

For the graphics images are displayed as thumbnails but non-image files (like MP3, video clips, zip files, etc.) are displayed as a generic icon. The generic icons are stored in your ../gallery/images folder. In your case after you added RST as a valid extension you'd then add a "../gallery/images/file_rst.gif" file and then that image will be displayed for any RST files that are uploaded.

EDIT for #3: Yes, files in the gallery can be both rated and have comments left for them.

But... if the only thing you're planning on using the Gallery for is RST and MP3 then it may be an overkill for your needs. Are planning on eventually offering images as well or just audio files?
KW802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2005, 04:07 PM   #3
SlimWicked
Verified Customer

hey..your the one that helped me out last night. Do you ever sleep??

I may use the image gallery for images as well. Is it possible to install the gallery 2 times. 1 for the music files and 1 for the image files?
Old April 22nd, 2005, 04:14 PM   #4
KW802
Verified Customer

Actually, I only sleep about 5 hrs a night. Used to be about 3-4 hours but I'm getting older now.

Doing two seperate installs of Gallery would require two licenses and some changing of the code (others have inquired about into the past but I'm not familiar with any actual implementions of somebody doing it in on a live site). It'd be easier to just create seperate categories. Depending upon the type of user experience you want you could create two categories, one for music and one for video, make them 'inactive' so that they don't show up in the master category listing, and then link directly to the categories so you'd end up with one "Music Gallery" and one "Image Gallery". Bear in mind though that the templates would be still the same between them so they would both have the same look & feel unless you did some major modifications to the templates.
KW802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2005, 04:22 PM   #5
SlimWicked
Verified Customer

Well I'm sold..you guys just received a new buyer! You guys are great. Hope you guys are comming out with some new things...cause i know you have to have some loyal customers...

Thanks a million!