PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > Before You Buy

Before You Buy Have questions about PhotoPost, ReviewPost and/or PhotoPost Classifieds before you buy?

Old February 16th, 2005, 11:32 PM   #1
merk
Verified Customer

User Galleries

As i understand it, if a user is to upload a photo to the "users category" it gets put into that users automatically generated category.

What if the user uploads a photo elsewhere? In Photopost, the user galleries also display all photos the user has uploaded regardless of where they are. Is this a feature, or a planned feature?

Or, If the user is to upload all photos to their user galleries, can you then create categories of specific keywords? "Cars" or "Boats" for example? Where the user will upload their photos, categorise them, and they would then appear where relevant?

I believe that would be better than using a "thread in a forum" approach where the thread is only in one forum. Photos could appear in multiple areas. "Holiday 2004" and "Landscapes" for example.
merk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2005, 04:11 AM   #2
merk
Verified Customer

Re: User Galleries

I take it neither are possible?
Old February 19th, 2005, 06:51 AM   #3
rbl
Verified Customer

Send a message via AIM to rbl Send a message via MSN to rbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by merk
What if the user uploads a photo elsewhere? In Photopost, the user galleries also display all photos the user has uploaded regardless of where they are. Is this a feature, or a planned feature?
Those are different things. All user photos first.
That page exists in Gallery although it's a bit low profile, just follow any link beside a usename that says "view all of username's images", or type /gallery/browseimages.php?do=member&imageuser=1 (where 1 is the user id)

The user's category is a feature where any file posted in a specific category (where that feature is enabled), is placed automatically in a folder named after the user.

Quote:
Or, If the user is to upload all photos to their user galleries, can you then create categories of specific keywords? "Cars" or "Boats" for example? Where the user will upload their photos, categorise them, and they would then appear where relevant?
I don't understand the question. Do you mean, can a user upload all his images to his user folder (in a user's category like I describe above), attribute keywords to each image and when someone browse the category Cars or Boats, all the images (from that user) that have the keyword Boats or Cars appear automatically? If that is the question, the answer is no. If you click a keyword, all those images (as well every other user images with the same keyword) will be listed but a category is, by design, a non-semantic container.

Quote:
I believe that would be better than using a "thread in a forum" approach where the thread is only in one forum. Photos could appear in multiple areas. "Holiday 2004" and "Landscapes" for example.
From my point of view, that defeats the purpose of containers, in the manner they were thought of. In a single user environment, that is not a bad idea (and you can do it, oh well, "fake" it is more the appropriate word), but in a multi user environment, that would be terrible, at least from where I stand.

Keywords are fantastic if you follow that path. With a couple of minor changes to the code, you can duplicate the number of relations between the photos just by throwing in the IPTC data, if you use it. Imploding some of the fields and parsing them as links (like the keywords) could make a fantastic change if you are into it.
rbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2005, 07:20 AM   #4
merk
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbl
Those are different things. All user photos first.
That page exists in Gallery although it's a bit low profile, just follow any link beside a usename that says "view all of username's images", or type /gallery/browseimages.php?do=member&imageuser=1 (where 1 is the user id)

The user's category is a feature where any file posted in a specific category (where that feature is enabled), is placed automatically in a folder named after the user.
So if i had 2 major categories, Pets and Cars, for example, the users uploading their photos there, would also be able to have their photos appear [automatically] in the "user" category of that user also? It appears that way with the url you posted, but I have to make sure

Quote:
I don't understand the question. Do you mean, can a user upload all his images to his user folder (in a user's category like I describe above), attribute keywords to each image and when someone browse the category Cars or Boats, all the images (from that user) that have the keyword Boats or Cars appear automatically? If that is the question, the answer is no. If you click a keyword, all those images (as well every other user images with the same keyword) will be listed but a category is, by design, a non-semantic container.
I guess that makes sense. You seemed to understand my question Maybe some kind of feature to have a "keyword" link as a "category" on the main page might be a solution there.

Web based galleries as far as i have seen are more "category" based rather than keyword based. Whereas, programs like iPhoto on the mac and Windows Digital Image Suite are based solidly around keywords. I guess its a different direction, but might be worth consideration?

Quote:
From my point of view, that defeats the purpose of containers, in the manner they were thought of. In a single user environment, that is not a bad idea (and you can do it, oh well, "fake" it is more the appropriate word), but in a multi user environment, that would be terrible, at least from where I stand.
It really depends on the audience of your users. And I guess you are more-or-less right that it wouldnt benefit a multi user photo gallery enviroment neally as well. But, if it were to be able to be limited to a per user system (userid:1, keywords: BLAH) or system wide, it would be an awsome feature

Quote:
Keywords are fantastic if you follow that path. With a couple of minor changes to the code, you can duplicate the number of relations between the photos just by throwing in the IPTC data, if you use it. Imploding some of the fields and parsing them as links (like the keywords) could make a fantastic change if you are into it.
Id definatly be into doing it. Though, I would have no idea where to start at the moment
Old February 19th, 2005, 08:23 AM   #5
rbl
Verified Customer

Quote:
So if i had 2 major categories, Pets and Cars, for example, the users uploading their photos there, would also be able to have their photos appear [automatically] in the "user" category of that user also? It appears that way with the url you posted, but I have to make sure
Yes, the images will appear there. I don't really like the name "user category" because it isn't a category, it's more like the "user's gallery".
Take a look at Brian's gallery. As you can see, the images display the category where they reside.

Quote:
I guess that makes sense. You seemed to understand my question Maybe some kind of feature to have a "keyword" link as a "category" on the main page might be a solution there.
If it is that much important to you, maybe you could also extend the category "scope" to include one or more keywords when listing the images submitted in that category.
I don't know if it is possible, I'm just thinking out loud, ok?
When you click a category link, you make a request to the database to display all images that have that categoryid. In theory, that query can be extended to include all images that have that category name in the keywords field (you need to pull it first from the categories table). There are side issues like "car" and "cars" are not the same thing, etc, etc...
From my point of view, unless you have a very dedicated team working the keywords out, this is where the "signal" starts being "noise", if you get what I mean.

Quote:
Web based galleries as far as i have seen are more "category" based rather than keyword based. Whereas, programs like iPhoto on the mac and Windows Digital Image Suite are based solidly around keywords. I guess its a different direction, but might be worth consideration?
Well... iPhoto had that rolls thing and now it has the albums feature, adding categories and subcategories where before it was always the same "level". Maybe I will start using it now because it was never a proper way of organizing a large collection of images.

Like I said before, if you want to go that way, is fine. Gallery has already a set of features that can help you work upon and develop it further down that path.
I'm not a developer but I don't think Gallery will go that way. It will have more keyword related features if Brian decides to add them but shifting to a keywords based environment not only seems unlikely but also seems stupid.
Don't take me wrong, it has nothing to do with you, me or anyone that likes that kind of environment (my personal photoblog/gallery thingy was very much like that in the beginning).
People don't care about keywords or metadata in general. It's a lot of work for no visible results. Unfortunately, it's just the way it is and no one can do anything about it. It's the reason why Google rules while others fade.
I fight everyday with my users for them to use keywords properly. No matter how many times I explain, no one really cares. Only a very small percentage of people care about things like that.
I know a lot of webmasters that delete the exifs from the images for some disk space savings =)

Quote:
It really depends on the audience of your users. And I guess you are more-or-less right that it wouldnt benefit a multi user photo gallery enviroment neally as well. But, if it were to be able to be limited to a per user system (userid:1, keywords: BLAH) or system wide, it would be an awsome feature
Wow! My mind has just flipped around that idea! =)
Can you explain it better? Not sure I understood....
Old February 20th, 2005, 05:56 AM   #6
merk
Verified Customer

My plan for the gallery, is to offer a subdomain for each user that links to all of the photos they have uploaded regardless of where they are. But the problem with that is the display doesnt seperate anything by category (Because thats not how its currently designed).

Now, if the gallery was to seperate photos by major keywords instead of hard-wired parent categories and build a list of "photo categories" based on major keywords (Dog, Car, Car, Boat, Holiday) instead of you specifying a hard category you could easily say well i want to just filter to user X and Y (being partners or friends with lots of overlapping photos).

I guess its all possible with an extra page that uses custom fields that have been added. If i ever get around to anything which i doubt ill let you know

Of course, i dont expect to see this in vbagallery, Its more a think-aloud experiment at the moment.
Old February 20th, 2005, 06:16 AM   #7
rbl
Verified Customer

Quote:
My plan for the gallery, is to offer a subdomain for each user that links to all of the photos they have uploaded regardless of where they are. But the problem with that is the display doesnt seperate anything by category (Because thats not how its currently designed).
Humm... I see. But maybe it's possible to do it.
You see, when you browse a member's gallery (like Brian's above), the query made to the database is "give me all approved and non-private images where the owner has this userid", then it lists and orders it according to your default settings.
That query can be easily modified to group images by category and if that change is made by someone smart =) it can also include some sort of visual distinction beside the category label.
Is not entirely what you want but a step closer.

Quote:
Now, if the gallery was to seperate photos by major keywords instead of hard-wired parent categories and build a list of "photo categories" based on major keywords (Dog, Car, Car, Boat, Holiday) instead of you specifying a hard category you could easily say well i want to just filter to user X and Y (being partners or friends with lots of overlapping photos).
I can see a lot os problems implementing a solution like that, in fact, too many to name. One of the major problems is that keywords depend on user input. If the user writes "Dgo" instead of "Dog", the system is defeated. The other is that involves a lot of calculations. You need to create a huge array of all keywords, identify matches and display them accordingly. Even caching the results, in a large database you would have performance problems.
Anyway, if I foresee this right, in the end the result would be very similar to a typical gallery site with the current category system.
Old February 20th, 2005, 07:04 PM   #8
merk
Verified Customer

Yes, you're right about the keyword issues. However, I have myself a dedicated gallery administrator who is up to the task of keeping it all nice and neat!

Ill see how far I get when the release is final.