PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > Before You Buy

Before You Buy Have questions about PhotoPost, ReviewPost and/or PhotoPost Classifieds before you buy?

Old January 26th, 2005, 09:45 PM   #1
Deviant++
Verified Customer

Gallery ( plays audio, video + shows pics ? )

Does this Gallery play audio files live, videos live + shows pics aswell ?

cause if it does, then it's a pretty nice thing
Deviant++ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2005, 09:57 PM   #2
Brian

Re: Gallery ( plays audio, video + shows pics ? )

It doesn't play the files in your browser (just allows you to download them), but will support any type of file.
Old January 26th, 2005, 10:05 PM   #3
Deviant++
Verified Customer

aw damn, then I guess I'd probably put the vids n audi on the jukebox huh ?
Deviant++ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2005, 11:02 PM   #4
indie

Won't it play video clips if you set the mime correctly? Thanks
Old January 27th, 2005, 09:10 AM   #5
Brian

Not in the browser.
Old January 31st, 2005, 04:53 PM   #6
stitch
Verified Customer

I think I can come up with the hack, but I don't think I can release it ...because:

1) I don't own this gallery yet. It is still in RC. I am waiting for it to pass the RC before I buy it.

2) Even if I want to release it, I don't have permission in the hack / mod forum
stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2005, 05:26 PM   #7
rbl
Verified Customer

Send a message via AIM to rbl Send a message via MSN to rbl

This is not a big deal IMO. Some file types need to be embedded in the page so that you can play them in your browser. As soon as Brian, or anyone else that digs into it, finds a way to check the file type, then the proper tags can be used and Gallery will even make your toasts and morning coffee ... sort of =)
rbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2005, 05:47 PM   #8
KW802
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbl
This is not a big deal IMO. Some file types need to be embedded in the page so that you can play them in your browser. As soon as Brian, or anyone else that digs into it, finds a way to check the file type, then the proper tags can be used and Gallery will even make your toasts and morning coffee ... sort of =)
I'm already working on it. My "auto play SWF files" hack was sort of a proof-of-concept for me so that I could guage the work involved. The fruits of that hack revealed to me that audio files, like MP3 files wouldn't be bad but doing video correctly would take a little more effort. For example, the standard PHP getimagesize command does not recognize video files so what dimensions would a person use when auto-playing them? The quick & dirty answer is to choose some arbitrary size and go with that but I don't like that answer -- I don't like hard-coding and I don't like watching videos in the wrong perspective. What I'm trying to do instead is to get a 3rd party script integrated into the ../gallery/upload.php script that does recognize video clips and then store those dimensions in the db; that way when the video clip is displayed I can use the same auto-sizing logic that I did with the SWF files.

Right now I've got a lot on my plate, so to speak, so I'm waiting for RC3 before go full steam into it.
KW802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2005, 06:01 PM   #9
rbl
Verified Customer

Just thinking out loud Kevin, but what about checking image extension and if it matches the list of video formats, display a link that pops-up a window where a custom video script plays it?
Old February 1st, 2005, 12:50 AM   #10
KW802
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbl
Just thinking out loud Kevin, but what about checking image extension and if it matches the list of video formats, display a link that pops-up a window where a custom video script plays it?
That would work as well. It would eliminate the challenge of getting the inline video clip sized within a certain dimensions. Without thinking about it too much the advantage to that method would be that it could be self-contained to the template eliminating the need to modify any of the PHP files. The disadvantage would be that some pop-up blockers may block the second window.

I like the look of clips being played inline so that I am heading in that direction for now (plus I've got a few others ideas floating around in my head) so Plan A will be inline but if speed bumps are encountered the javascript method will be Plan B.
KW802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 07:50 AM   #11
rbl
Verified Customer

Here's another suggestion: think about creating a new imagebit template (videobit?!) for video.
Then an if conditional could be added to showimage.php, that will load imagebit for images and videobit for videos. This way imagebit will not be a long list of if then elses and this can also be done for other "problematic" formats.