PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > Before You Buy

Before You Buy Have questions about PhotoPost, ReviewPost and/or PhotoPost Classifieds before you buy?

Old January 10th, 2005, 01:05 AM   #1
Reefland
Verified Customer

Changes to vB Files?

This may have already been covered but what, if any changes are made to the vB files? My concern is I don't want to have to modify files for the gallery each time I upgrade to an updated version of vB. Also are there any changes made to the vB database, anything that would force them to not provide support?
Reefland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2005, 06:13 AM   #2
ConqSoft
Ultimate Member
Verified Customer

Re: Changes to vB Files?

Yes you have to change VB files, and yes it adds tables to the database. Both of those could technically prevent you from getting support from vbulletin.com. It's that way with any hack....
ConqSoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2005, 10:05 AM   #3
Brian

There are 5 changes to vB files, but they're all simple "Find this, add this above/below" and it should take less than 5 minutes to apply the changes while installing or upgrading.
Old January 10th, 2005, 10:45 PM   #4
Reefland
Verified Customer

Thanks. I am totally comfortable with PHP and adding stuff, just not very comfortable with loosing my vB support if needed. Adding and removing stuff in the vB files is simple enough but...

As for the tables, you said that it adds tables to the vB db, does it modify any of the existing vB tables? Obviously, those are not as easy to revert if needed for vB support.
Old January 10th, 2005, 11:01 PM   #5
Brian

It alters the language, phrasegroup, and usergroup tables. I know someone there has said in the past (I believe it was Wayne Luke IIRC) that they would still support a forum that has modified the language and phrasegroup tables, and I don't see why they would have a problem with the usergroup table.
Old January 10th, 2005, 11:47 PM   #6
Reefland
Verified Customer

How does this affect upgrades to vB? Would they need to be placed on hold until the gallery was also ready to be upgraded?
Old January 10th, 2005, 11:55 PM   #7
Brian

After 3.1 is released then I'm sure a new version of the gallery will need to be released since that is going to be a major release (which of course we will be working as quickly as possible to get a compatable version out). From 3.0.0 to 3.0.5 have all been compatable though.
Old January 11th, 2005, 12:03 AM   #8
Reefland
Verified Customer

So it's just been a matter of upgrading the forum and reapplying the changes to the vb files for the gallery?
Old January 11th, 2005, 12:07 AM   #9
Brian

Yes.
Old January 11th, 2005, 12:37 AM   #10
Reefland
Verified Customer

Ok, now for the question that gets egg thrown at me, any estimates on when the gallery goes to a stable version?
Old January 11th, 2005, 09:33 AM   #11
Brian

RC2 has been pretty stable. There are a few bugs, but nothing major. RC3 should be available in a week or two, then either RC4 or 'Gold' will come out sometime after that.
Old January 11th, 2005, 11:04 AM   #12
KW802
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
RC2 has been pretty stable. There are a few bugs, but nothing major. RC3 should be available in a week or two, then either RC4 or 'Gold' will come out sometime after that.
I might as well take this thread completely into a tangent......

Brian, any changes in RC3 to the construct_image_url function? Before I release my SWF change as a hack I'm just wondering if I should hold off if RC3 will be changing any of that code.
KW802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2005, 11:15 AM   #13
Brian

As of right now, no. I may move the extensions listed in that function to a global list though, and only about 1/2 of the stuff on my to-do list has been moved down to the 'Done' column, so I can't make any promises that something on there won't require another change to be made.