PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > Before You Buy

Before You Buy Have questions about PhotoPost, ReviewPost and/or PhotoPost Classifieds before you buy?

Old December 11th, 2004, 08:41 AM   #1
ConqSoft
Ultimate Member
Verified Customer

PhotoPost vs vBa Gallery

I'm almost sold. Just have one question. This may be answered somewhere, but I didn't see it, so I apologize in advance if it has.

PhotoPost has the "Member Galleries" section where each user has their own personal gallery, where they can upload images and create their own sub-categories/etc. I didn't see in vBa Gallery where it had this feature without the admin manually creating each user's gallery. In PhotoPost, it's "built-in" so that each user has their personal gallery.

Thanks.
ConqSoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2004, 09:27 AM   #2
Fiber
Verified Customer

Re: PhotoPost vs vBa Gallery

Yes vBa Gallery has this. You just have to set a few option in the admin area. They can make their gallery private or open for others. Unless you are refering to the whole page being their own as if it looked like their own webpage. They have to go to your sites main gallery page and then go to their gallery.
Fiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2004, 09:57 AM   #3
Simplicity
Verified Customer

From what I have seen, this gallery has most of the same major features of PhotoPost, only missing statistics (which I expect will be available as a modification soon) and also provides much much better and easier to manager forum integration.
Simplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2004, 10:41 AM   #4
Brian

vBa Gallery does have a way to add member's categories, but it's not the same as PhotoPost's. With vBa Gallery, you can set any category you would like and allow users to create sub-categories in that category which they will have more control over and can upload their images. PhotoPost just has one member's category and if I remember correclty (though I may not) it doesn't give users the ability to create their sub-categories, only upload their images to the member's category and it automatically creates one sub-category for each member.
Old December 11th, 2004, 04:48 PM   #5
ConqSoft
Ultimate Member
Verified Customer

PhotoPost lets you assign a category as a "Member Area", then each user gets their own Gallery in that one, as soon as they visit. Then, they can create sub-categories under that to organize their images if they like.

I don't want users to be able to create bottom level categories. I want them to have their own, using their username, automatically. Then the ability to create more under that if they wish.

Example: http://www.photopostdev.com/photopost/index.php

The Members Galleries is the functionality I'm looking for.
Old December 11th, 2004, 08:17 PM   #6
ConqSoft
Ultimate Member
Verified Customer

Well, I think I'm going to buy it anyway. It still appears to be a better product than PhotoPost, and much more tightly integrated with vBulletin.

Now I own all the vBadvanced products.
Old December 11th, 2004, 08:35 PM   #7
mattster2002
Verified Customer

Yep it has that feature
And its sick.
http://m1.mumsweb.com/gallery for my gallery
mattster2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2004, 11:59 AM   #8
MonsterMaxx
Verified Customer

Can you have one image and multiple catagories?

Say for example it's a car website and the image is of a car with a cool paintjob and killer wheels. As peeps are surfing catagories I'd like this same image to show up in Paint and Wheels.

Possible? Hack or builtin?
MonsterMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2004, 12:01 PM   #9
ConqSoft
Ultimate Member
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx
Can you have one image and multiple catagories?

Say for example it's a car website and the image is of a car with a cool paintjob and killer wheels. As peeps are surfing catagories I'd like this same image to show up in Paint and Wheels.

Possible? Hack or builtin?
You currently can't assign an image to multiple categories. (He might have that planned for the future; dunno.)
Old December 20th, 2004, 12:49 PM   #10
TheGunOwner
Verified Customer

I've used both Photopost and vbagallery. vbagallery is by far the better product if you have vbulletin. I've also setup a members area gallery with no problem
TheGunOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2004, 07:56 PM   #11
StewardManscat
Verified Customer

Disagree. I had a quick look at your members section, and it doesn't match up well with photopost at all (feature for feature).

The latest version of Photopost (4.85) integrates seamlessly with vb (it was the thrust of that release). The template and admin systems are different of course, and that's a downside if you require total integration. But Photopost is a far more mature product (Hey, it was born earlier).

I could find no way to offer the same features for adult/dating/member-central sites using gallery. The live demo here is misleading, because there is less than a page of members. Add thousands of members and it is unwieldy.

At Photopost, for twice the price you'll get more than twice the features. For low-maintenance high-volume "member-centric" sites those features are essential.

Gallery will catch up eventually, and I'll be here when it does, because there is no 'integration' --it is vb all the way.

At this point, gallery has more to offer vb webmasters and moderators. Photopost has far more to offer the users. I purchased gallery, but in the end chose to remain in the Photopost camp.
StewardManscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2004, 08:01 PM   #12
ConqSoft
Ultimate Member
Verified Customer

StewardManscat,

I agree, but, as we know, PhotoPost has been around a long time, and Gallery is still in RC.

I'm in the same boat with you. I'm keeping PhotoPost right now, but plan to switch to Gallery in the future.

Brian has been working diligently on every concern I've had in relation to the switchover from PhotoPost, so I'm sure Gallery will "get there".

But, as you said, PhotoPost is a more feature-rich and mature product at this point in the game.
Old December 30th, 2004, 09:52 PM   #13
rbl
Verified Customer

Send a message via AIM to rbl Send a message via MSN to rbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewardManscat
At this point, gallery has more to offer vb webmasters and moderators. Photopost has far more to offer the users.
I guess it depends on how you use your software. Right now Gallery enables me to offer a much more complete site to my users, than the one I can offer with PP. Of course there are basic things still missing but hey, it's still a RC, right?

So, if you mean user experience, I disagree.
If you mean something like "Gallery has not the same user content pages", I agree with you.

In comparison:
- A member's gallery in PP (showgallery.php/ppuser/userid/) is far more complete than the equivalent simple page in Gallery (browseimages.php?do=member&imageuser=userid);
- PP's profile page (member.php?uid=userid) has far more info than Gallery's My Subscriptions page (browseimages.php?do=subscriptions);
- And the Member's Galleries in PP (showmembers.php) is of no match to Gallery's Member's Categories.

But I ask, so what?
Those are only pages. Even I with my crummy php knowledge could make the appropriate changes to browseimages.php to match PP's member gallery page.

The permissions system in Gallery is far more versatile than the one found on Photopost. Tweaking category and usergroup permissions allows me to give zero permissions in one category to a user and full permissions in the next. Add to this users' owned categories and single category moderator privs. and you have enough options to create a very diversified site.
You can't do that with PP. Not without a lot of hacking.
rbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2004, 10:01 PM   #14
ConqSoft
Ultimate Member
Verified Customer

I prefer PP's method of member galleries. Where they can create their own albums under their gallery only, and not be able to just create their own named galleries at the "root" of the member area. That's the main thing I was wanting Brian to add.
Old December 30th, 2004, 11:48 PM   #15
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewardManscat
At Photopost, for twice the price you'll get more than twice the features. For low-maintenance high-volume "member-centric" sites those features are essential.
I'd like to know how you can say twice the features. At the moment, vBa Gallery lacks a few features that PP has, but certainly not twice as many. vBa Gallery also has many features that PP doesn't offer, and RC3 will have about 30 new options/features as well.
Old December 30th, 2004, 11:59 PM   #16
rbl
Verified Customer

Brian, it's the second time you mention the 30 new features. Can you lift the curtain a bit? =)
Old December 31st, 2004, 12:09 AM   #17
Zachery
Ultimate Member

You want him to spend time elaborating or coding
Zachery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2004, 12:09 AM   #18
V-Rodforums
Verified Customer

Well I hate to piss on anyone but having used photopost for a couple of years and now vba on both of my forums the difference to me is

PP has almost daily updates with poor documentation and for a novice every update is like a nightmare. The styles don't match well and you can count on that email from that new member that has never logged out to tell you that he can't view images.

VBA while not having as many options was a breeze to install, no double admin panel. The styles look perfect, data base integration was perfect and no cookie issues like new members always have with PP. I have only been using VBA a couple of weeks but couldn't feature going back. If anyone is interested I have a copy of PP I wish I could sell.
V-Rodforums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2004, 12:34 AM   #19
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachery
Exactly... I'll post more once it's closer to completion.
Old December 31st, 2004, 12:35 AM   #20
rbl
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachery
Zachery, from what I know Brian has a list. Copy-paste is fine

UPDATE: Brian, you beat me by seconds! =)
I can understand that! Keep your secrets!