PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > PhotoPost Product FAQs

PhotoPost Product FAQs Answers to your most frequently asked questions about all our products.

Old May 31st, 2005, 09:02 AM   #1
Michael P
PhotoPost Developer
Verified Customer

5/31: Build Information FAQ

At various times you may noticed a support person mention to someone "download the latest build and upload xxxx file" and asked yourself What Does This Mean?

When we become aware of a problem and post a fix, its not uncommon for us to "update the build", meaning update the file in the distribution so that subsequent users who download the product do not incur the same problem. We also do this to help those who are uncomfortable editing files and want to just download the fix without having to mess with editing a file. There are times when we simply remove a file (like Thumb.db) or edit a documentation file.

Since our release on the 25th, we've updated the build numerous times - the vast majority of the time because our new system of registering variable types needed tweaking for systems that do not have register globals on. There have also been a few minor bugs reported which have also been addressed. Knowing that over 1,000 users were going to download the build over the holiday weekend, we wanted to give those users the benefit of any code which may have changed.

So, if you downloaded the product before today, what should you do?

If you aren't having any problems, then you don't have to do anything. As I said, most of the issues revolve around users who have very specific setups or use features that not everyone may use. I have sites running the final release without any problems at all; others sites that had register globals turned off or used extensive photo moderation (for example), had some issues and I needed to update some files.

How do I know which files have changed and how do I update them?

If you would like peace of mind, then I would recommend you download the current build and refresh your /*.php files (except config-inc.php and config-int.php, inc_features.php and inc_photopost.php).

Less often changed are the forums and template files, although there have been minor tweaks to a couple files. Two intergration files have changed since release, forums/vb3.php and forums/phpbb2.php (only used by the people using those integration types). Four templates were updated: register.tmpl and reg_agree.tmpl (which are only used by Internal registrations), editphoto.tmpl and uploadphoto.tmpl.

Why do it like this anyways?

Our goal is to help as many people as possible without creating a great deal of confusion. We could hold off on releases and wait to do .dot updates, but that would put the burden of checking the forums for fixes on all users during that time we are holding onto known issues. It would also mean that people who are not comfortable editing files would have to wait for an update.

We have listened to your feedback and are working hard to address your concerns and provide timely fixes/updates to our product as needed. Thank you for your understanding and patience; making everyone happy isn't easy when you have as many customers as we do, so sometimes we have to do what we think is best for the majority of our users.
Old June 30th, 2005, 07:46 AM   #2
S Lidard

clarification

To clarify this... you're saying that files within a released version can be updated without incrementing the version number? For example, the current version is 5.12 and one or more files in that version may have been updated since its original release?
S Lidard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 08:32 AM   #3
Michael P
PhotoPost Developer
Verified Customer

Yes, that is what I am saying.