PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > Before You Buy

Before You Buy Have questions about PhotoPost, ReviewPost and/or PhotoPost Classifieds before you buy?

Old May 24th, 2005, 11:19 PM   #1
stray

User Albums & Categories

I've been checking into various Online Gallery Scripts such as Gallery, Coppermine, Xigla, and others but noen seem to offer what I am looking for.

What I would like to do is allow users to create albums in whatever Category/subCategory they choose to upload to provided appropriate permissions for gallery access is given. I would like to be able to create Private Categories to function in the same manner as the Members Category where individual user albums are stored with an album thumbnail and after clicking on the thumbnail users enter the album. From what I've been able to glean from the sample sites is that Categories other than the Members Category is merely just a large album where all users photos are lumped together and users are unable to create there own individual albums inside the category.

Can Private Categories be created to function in the same manner as the Members Category with individual user albums and the same type of alphabetical listing displayed in the Members Category?

kind regards,
-stray
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2005, 02:44 PM   #2
Michael P
PhotoPost Developer
Verified Customer

Users create Albums which can then be "assigned" to a category (if you allow them to).

http://www.photopostdev.com/photopos...ry.php/cat/538

You can see I created an Album and assigned it to the General category.

Private albums can be created, however they will not appears as assigned albums because they are "private" and require a password to access.

Members Gallery can be configured to show all of a users photos or only those photos which have been uploaded to it (kinda of like a default gallery).

Albums can only be uploaded to by the user who creates them; so there is no listing of users necessary.
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:49 PM   #3
stray

Thank you Micahel P for responding to my quaestions. I'm terribly sorry but it I must not have been clear with my question.

Quote:
Users create Albums which can then be "assigned" to a category (if you allow them to).
Yes, I realize they can be assigned to categories from reading other posts. However, after viewing the sample sites and the link you posted I still see that the only place an album is self contained is in the Members Category which I assume must be the default category because it looks and functions totally different than other Categories.

What I basically want to do is create categories/subcategories to look, feel, and function just like the default Members Category. Allowing users to create albums in whatever category they have been given permission to.

For example for my site I would want it to like the following setup

Members Category
|
|__ User 1 Album
|
|__ User 2 Album

Private Category
|
|__ subCategory 1
| |
| |__ Private User 1 Album
| |
| |__ Private User 2 Album
|
|__ subCategory 2
| |
| |__ Private User 1 Album
| |
| |__ Private User 3 Album

Family Category
|
|__ subCategory 1
| |
| |__ Family User 1 Album
| |
| |__ Family User 2 Album
|
|__ subCategory 2
| |
| |__ Family User 1 Album
| |
| |__ Family User 3 Album

From the sites I've visited it appears that the only place a users album is contained within itself is in the default Members Category. If a user assigns his/her album to another category other than the default then there photos do not appear in an album but are mixed in with other users photos.

I would like to click on a category then click on a users album and view that users photos. Not click on a category and see no albums just everyones photos mixed in with other users.

Also, if a user create an album in other categories besides the default is it only created in that category or does it show up in the default Members category as well. Fo9r instance in the using above example can users with access to either or both Private Members and Familt Members create an album in those categories and keep it from showing up in the default Members Category.

Sorry, to be so long winded. I just want to make sure that I can accomplish what I'm looking to do before I invest the money.

I hope I was a little more clearer in my questions.

once again thank you for your help
-stray
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:45 PM   #4
Michael P
PhotoPost Developer
Verified Customer

That's why I gave you the link above:

http://www.photopostdev.com/photopos...ry.php/cat/538

This is a link to the "General" photos category - not the Members Gallery - and I've attached an album to the category for display.