PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > General Discussion

General Discussion General use discussion forum for PhotoPost products.

Old May 17th, 2005, 01:41 PM   #1
Michael P
PhotoPost Developer
Verified Customer

PhotoPost 5.1 Development Progress

Just wanted to let everyone know that development on PhotoPost 5.1 is well underway.

Some of the new items you can look forward to are:

. PhotoPost Image Protection System (IPS). IPS gives a webmaster much more flexibilty in controlling access to original images; images can be located outside the data directory structure for additional security. Image locations can be masked through the use of a redesigned watermark.php which adds security and can serve up images every from password protected directories (this ensures that only those people who you want to will have access). Additional features include: Admin section for IPS which groups options for protectingimages into one area, allows for the directory for image storage to be changed (and moves files to new location), edit/creation of .htaccess files and configuration of the watermark.php script.
. Recent comments listing - previously a modification, this addition provides for a "more" link off the Recent Comments box and gives people a thumbnail listing of photos with the most recent comments.
. Group By Member option in category dropdowns which allow a user to change the category display to show images grouped by user (display is changed to showmembers.php format to show a list of members who have posted in the category and allow selection of that user to show only their photos posted in that category).
. Members Gallery. An option to make any category funciton like a Members Gallery by default. Works like the function above, but changes the functionality so that the gallery is presented in the Member Gallery format each time.
. Optimizations of queries to improve performance, increase security and reduce errors when invalid data is passed.
. New integration: FusionBB
. Approve a photo while viewing it (Admins and Mods)
. Images awaiting approval will display "pending approval" thumbnail in category to indicate their thumbnail is there, just waiting approval
. Improved language strings for easier comprehension
. Smarter URL parsing when grabbing images from a URL
. Single image uploads done in 1 step
. When image uploading complete, auto forwarded to category (no click here page)
. Second dropdown for album selection (if user has albums) during upload to make it easier to find the category/album users wants to upload images to
. Most Recent features/Most Popular/Last X days/All features link to "virtual categories" where next/prev links take a user through the images
. Revamped URL construct to remove unnecessary URL tags
. Rewritten slideshow feature - works as expected, much faster and uses alot less memory
. New "filmstrip" layout for showphoto - templates for placing in default, side or top will be available (top by default)
. Improved switches for turning off the Last Photo Uploaded/Last Comment Posted columns which place the new posts icon in the same box as the number of photos/comments. You can see this on http://www.photopostdev.com/photopost/index.php and http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/index.php
. Full security audit by independent third-party security company
. Albums attached to categories will have their last photos/posts links updated when new photos are uploaded
. Approve photos sorting ignores display orders when displaying sorted views
. vb3enhanced users can create seperate sets of templates based on the styleid

The IPS is the next step towards a secure photo gallery with eCommerce capabilities. By providing security for images our users will be greater control over the distribution of content from their sites.
Old May 17th, 2005, 05:47 PM   #2
Michael P
PhotoPost Developer
Verified Customer

You can see the IPS in use at:

http://www.photopostdev.com/photopost/index.php

For example,

http://www.photopostdev.com/photopos....php/photo/267

this page is showing you an image which is being served up from the original which is not located within the data directory. In fact, you can't tell where the image is coming from (you don't know the name of the file or where it is located):

http://www.photopostdev.com/photopos...k.php?file=267

but even if you did - it wouldn't matter, its in a .htaccess password protected directory with no access.

And, should you try to access an image you do not have permission to view:

http://www.photopostdev.com/photopos...k.php?file=181

then you get a blank image.

(PhotoPostDev is my current test environment, so during development there may be times when it is not working as expected).
Old May 18th, 2005, 07:29 AM   #3
mjm
Ultimate Member
Verified Customer

Good to hear of ongoing developments and looking forward to trying them out.

PhotoPost Image Protection System (IPS)
Sounds very interesting!

Group By Member - User option view cat by member
Cool! Our members are going to love this.
I'm guessing that members will be able to (reference) link to only their pics per cat (into our forum posts) by selecting this option and clicking on their latest pic or select pic within their group of pics?
This will definitely give them the benefit of giving others a more personalized view of their pics.

Members Gallery
Nice! Especially as a per category option. I also can think of various other uses for creating cats with this feature... for special uses, projects and events etc.

Cheers,
Mark
mjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2005, 07:43 AM   #4
Michael P
PhotoPost Developer
Verified Customer

I have a design for a "PhotoPost Credit System" where people can purchase credits which can be used to access galleries, fullsize images or downloads. For example, you could purchase 10,000 credits for $x and then when you attempt to use a gallery that has a cost associated with it you are prompted if you want to "purchase" this using your credits; if you do, then you never have to pay to see that category again and can view it anytime. Same with photos, you buy a photo, you can access the fullsize image anytime you want. Need more storage space for uploads? xxx credits will give you an addition xmb of space. You get the picture.

The nice thing about using a credits system is that I can see this being easy to integrate with other systems, like say the vB3 Subscriptions where buying a subscription gives you xxx credits in the PhotoPost area as part of your upgrade.

It won't be in 5.1, but if there is enough interest it might be available soon.
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:59 PM   #5
b6gm6n

Credit system, wow..sounds great! - and my little comments mod being a fully fledged feature...cool - I knew i'd be famous one day...i knew it

-T
b6gm6n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 01:48 PM   #6
mlucek
Verified Customer

How about enhancing the latest photo area so that you can use the Next & Previous buttons to page thru them ? Right now when you click on a photo it takes you to the containing category so the next/prev buttons reflect that category order, not the latest next/prev order. Sort of like a virtual album for latest pictures.

Can then create similar virtual albums for Most viewed, Highest rated, Latest Comments, etc.

Coppermine and VBAdvanced Gallery both do this - much nicer to use the next/prev buttons to page thru those virtual albums then to have to keep going back to the home page to get the respective next/prev.
mlucek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:26 PM   #7
mjm
Ultimate Member
Verified Customer

Agree with mlucek, it's a real pain viewing recent pics when they are in many different categories, and returning viewers love to see them irrespective of category
The only drawback I can envision enabling view of recent pics /all cats views is in slide view, ie, a person could walk away from their computer and the slide view would go through all pics in the gallery ... bandwidth hog.
One solution would be to auto pause slideshow after X # of pics -`Do you want to continue with slideshow?'

Mark
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:49 PM   #8
Michael P
PhotoPost Developer
Verified Customer

Sure, I can do that. In fact, we used to do that, just got lost in all our updates over time. Even works with last 1, 7, 14 or all images.

http://www.photopostdev.com/photopost/index.php
http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/index.php

You get "lastest comments" by using the "more" link off the Recent Comments box which takes you through the latest comments and thumbnail views of the images commented on.
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:51 PM   #9
mlucek
Verified Customer

One solution is to limit the number of photo's to a given count or say the last x days.

Personally I never use the slide show option, so that's not an issue for me. I prefer to pick 'n choose which pictures I want to see and for how long.

I've been thinking about hacking this "virtual category" idea myself, but if the powers-that-be here think it's worthwhile, I can let them take a crack at it .... hmmm or contract that to me
Old May 19th, 2005, 04:03 PM   #10
mlucek
Verified Customer

Quote:
Sure, I can do that. In fact, we used to do that, just got lost in all our updates over time. Even works with last 1, 7, 14 or all images.
Musta been reading our minds

Along with that - it'd be nice to have a menu option somewhere to be able to select which of these "virtual categories" to view.

e.g. a dropdown "virtual" category box on every page to quickly select:

- Latest
- Most Viewed
- Highest (lowest) rated
- Recent comments
- other sortings

Last edited by mlucek; May 19th, 2005 at 07:36 PM.
Old May 19th, 2005, 04:31 PM   #11
mjm
Ultimate Member
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P
Hurray!!! Thank you!- most asked for request! Can't wait

Been wanting to put most recent pic links in our Homepage & vBforum cat nav bars to each of our galleries.

Mark

Last edited by mjm; May 19th, 2005 at 06:10 PM.
Old May 19th, 2005, 05:54 PM   #12
AllenAyres
Verified Customer

like the new features, thanks for the headsup
AllenAyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 08:41 AM   #13
Michael P
PhotoPost Developer
Verified Customer

PhotoPost 5.1rc1 has been released. Check out the BETA forum for more information - if all goes well, we should be releasing this next week.
Old May 20th, 2005, 09:20 AM   #14
mjm
Ultimate Member
Verified Customer

PhotoPost 5.1 Beta Forum

Excellent! Some nice surprise additions here.
Will upgrade this weekend.

Many thanks to the PhotoPost Team

Mark