PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > General Discussion

General Discussion General use discussion forum for PhotoPost products.

Old May 16th, 2005, 05:35 PM   #1
ClubWRX
Verified Customer

How do I know how much space to offer to our members?

Hi,

I have a forum with about 20,000 members and approximately 200 people on during the day. Photopost will be new to these members and I'm not sure how much space to offer the members. Can anyone offer any tips and advise for me?

Also, for some reason I can't seem to find the area or the button where I can post the pictures. Any help? Thanks.

Tim
ClubWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:29 PM   #2
b6gm6n

Hi,

Firstly if your integrating PP with VB then you must configure your usergroups via PP admin > administration > Edit Usergroups

While there you'll see options to enable uploads per usergroup also disk space, file size and daily limits all very tweekable to suit your needs, in your case i would enable a filesize limit of say 100k maybe a daily limit, also concider your "Disk Space Limit" very important for you seeing as you have so many members already, if you went for say 1 meg per 'registered' member you could be ok, enable higher diskspace limits etc for different usergroups, offer incentives for using subscriptions via vbulletin also.

Once your Usergroups are configured correctly you'll see the 'upload photos' link in the menu.

Hope this has helped you.

-T
b6gm6n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 12:47 PM   #3
ClubWRX
Verified Customer

Thank you Toney,

When I set the picture size to 100k, I am assuming that it means the picture that they upload has to be 100k or less. The program will automatically resize the picture and the quality right? If that's the case would it be okay to have a the file size be larger since it's going to be reduced anyways?

Also, how do u set the subscription for the users? It seems like the subscription will allow the users to access different forums. Should we just set a new usergroup such as "premium members", have the same access for the forums, but raise the storage limit?

If that's the case, how much should the member pay and how much storage should they get?

Last edited by ClubWRX; May 17th, 2005 at 01:07 PM.
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:19 PM   #4
b6gm6n

Hi..

pictures can be resized after the upload process, but if the actual 'filesize' exceeds the limit you have set then an error message will be displayed to the user first regardless of the 'dimentions' of the picture.

100k could afford a user a larger pictures (dimention wise) if the jpg compression is right. Try some tests in photopost or a similar app and save pictures in various sizes and see what filesizes they come out at and depending what you like (and how much space they would take up) adjust your photopost uploads settings/options accordingly.

Your VBulletin usergroup plan is a good one, yes why not create a new 'premium members' group which then could have it's own separate set of instructions (uploads/permissions) within Photopost.

How much a member should pay and how much server space a member should get could depend on how much your server fees are, like total server space/bandwith etc, you don't want to charge to much but make it worth your while, i.e to cover your costs of hosting their pictures.

-T
Old May 18th, 2005, 11:56 AM   #5
ClubWRX
Verified Customer

Hi Toney,

I noticed that most of the pictures that people have nowadays are approximately a 1000k or more. Would it be unreasonable to allow 1000k of upload per picture and have the computer resize? I get the feeling that people are not going to go out of their way to resize their images simply so they can post it on the board.
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:29 PM   #6
b6gm6n

Well, if a 'single' picture (i assume a .jpg) is 1000k (just under a meg) that would be huge! .BMP i can understand - Firstly look at the design/layout of your site/photopost, if a user posted a picture which is 3000x3000 pixels for example and you wanted the 'medium' picture (shown within the showphoto.php) to be much smaller dimension wise (which would be prudent as you wouldn't want your site layout to be broken) photopost would resize the 3k x 3k image to the dimensions you set and display it, a simple click on the medium images would open up the full size image in a new window, but remember your saving 'two' images on your server, the medium & the full size image - so be carefull as you may find you run out of server space fast.

It's a matter of trial & error, see how various settings work and run on your setup, with a little time & testing you would find the most suitable ( and optimal ) settings for your server.

-T