PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > General Discussion

General Discussion General use discussion forum for PhotoPost products.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2005, 07:05 PM   #1
mlucek
Verified Customer

Category thumbnail/avatar with nested categories

I know how to add the index thumbnail to a category. If I have nested categories, is there a way to add an index thumbnail to the upper level category ?

e.g.

-category 1 <--- ** how to add index thumbnail here ?**
---category 1.1 <--- index thumbnail here
---category 1.2 <--- index thumbnail here

I don't see how or if you can do that ? e.g. category 1 has no pictures, but I'd still like it to have an index thumbnail, such as one of the index thumbnails from it's sub-categories.

Thanks,
Mike
mlucek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 06:04 AM   #2
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Hello

If this is a cat without thumbnails Nope there is not a way.

It is pretty clear if you set a cat to no thumbs that there is no space for a cat avatar at least while drinking my coffee here this morning I am looking at things right The nicest looking way to do things is to make sure you have show counts for cats without thumbs to NO so the tdnothumbs class spans the whole cats table this makes a nice clear definer of category sections

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 02:14 PM   #3
mlucek
Verified Customer

It'd be a nice option to have a thumbnail for the upper level categories - e.g. if you have the category collapsed, a thumbnail next to the collapsed category name says a lot

Use one of the lower level category index thumbnails for the upper level category avatar/thumbnail.

Wishful thinking I guess, unless I hack it myself.
Old May 5th, 2005, 02:27 PM   #4
Michael P
PhotoPost Developer
Verified Customer

There is a way to force this, you can set the 'thumbnail' field to the photo id of the item you want as an avatar for that cateogry; I just havent thought of an easy way to make this an option (except for a text box input on the Edit Category page).
Old May 5th, 2005, 05:07 PM   #5
mlucek
Verified Customer

Quote:
force this, you can set the 'thumbnail' field to the photo id of the item you want as an avatar for that cateogry;
ok, that works, (modified the categories.tmpl file) see the attached photos showing the avatars with the categories collapsed and categories expanded.

Quote:
I just havent thought of an easy way to make this an option (except for a text box input on the Edit Category page).
On the category editor dialog Thumbnail for Main Index section you can present a list of available thumbnails from the next sublevel of subcategories index thumbs, either using radiobuttons with images next to them or a dropdown list. Add a none entry of course.

Think I'll hack this up and see how that looks/works. Should be pretty easy to do and doesn't involve any database changes.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg categcollapsed.jpg (12.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg categexpanded.jpg (45.2 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by mlucek; May 5th, 2005 at 05:10 PM.
Old May 9th, 2005, 04:24 AM   #6
Ian_W
Verified Customer

Would also be nice to be able to include thumbnails for categories that do allow images, but do not contain any.
Ian_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 04:29 PM   #7
mlucek
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_W
Would also be nice to be able to include thumbnails for categories that do allow images, but do not contain any.
Problem with that is how do you choose a picture thumbnail if there isn't any.

Could have a default image to use for all categories where you haven't chosen a category thumbnail yet.

My above scheme will allow the user to choose a category thumbnail based upon the thumbs for the categories one level lower.
Old May 9th, 2005, 11:13 PM   #8
mjm
Ultimate Member
Verified Customer

> My above scheme will allow the user to choose a category thumbnail based upon the thumbs for the categories one level lower.

That can look rather boring with duplicates, especially with so many other potential pics to put there.

I have one Gallery that I'd prefer to only have an avatar in the some of the parent categories, leaving the sub cats with a simple title / without avatars.

... not possible.

Mark
mjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 02:11 AM   #9
mlucek
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm
> My above scheme will allow the user to choose a category thumbnail based upon the thumbs for the categories one level lower.

That can look rather boring with duplicates, especially with so many other potential pics to put there.
Well actually that's not quite true .... you could choose the upper-level cat thumb, then go and change the lower-level cat thumb to a different picture. Slighty roundabout way, but doable.

Quote:
I have one Gallery that I'd prefer to only have an avatar in the some of the parent categories, leaving the sub cats with a simple title / without avatars.

... not possible.

Mark
Is there a way to remove a category thumbnail (without resorting to manually changing the db record) ?

Michael/Omegatron, how about an option to remove a category thumbnail ? i.e. set it to blank/nada. Should be pretty simple to do on the category edit page.

Quote:
leaving the sub cats with a simple title / without avatars.
If you could remove a cat thumb, then with my little upcoming hack, you could do this.

I'll work up a demo photo.

Mike

Last edited by mlucek; May 10th, 2005 at 02:17 AM.
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:39 AM   #10
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

If you view a picture set as a cat thumb you can remove the cat thumb.

REMOVE INDEX THUMB

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Old May 10th, 2005, 01:18 PM   #11
Ian_W
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlucek
Problem with that is how do you choose a picture thumbnail if there isn't any.

Could have a default image to use for all categories where you haven't chosen a category thumbnail yet.

My above scheme will allow the user to choose a category thumbnail based upon the thumbs for the categories one level lower.
Actually it is possible to to upload to a category that does not have any images, tag it then hide it. (so in affect it still doesn't have any images - although the image count is out by one). However it would be nice to be able to do the following...

1) In the categories config page, under thumbnail - allow an image number to be inserted - this would enable us to re-use one image multiple times, without uploading it to different categories.

or

2) Enable a thumbnail image to be uploaded (maybe to My Gallery) without it displaying as an image on the site, and then being allocated to one or more categories as a thumnail image - useful again when you just want thumbnails on categories, without then appearing as images.

In any event, I think the thumbnails are one of the best features in PP now - simple but effective.

Ian
Ian_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 05:29 AM   #12
passionpics
Verified Customer

Hi Chuck,

I need help to setup the categories thumnails. I am not a programmer and this version of photopost is new to me , i searched in the forums but i did not find the solution yet and this one here doesn't help me either since i do not understand about changing tmpl files without a copy and paste.

So here is my problem

I want my photopost to look like this ones :

1. Classic Car Photo Galleries - Main Index - Powered by PhotoPost
2. RaceConn Gallery - Main Index

In both you have the option of category thumbnails.

I tried to change de variables in index options and layout options, and categories options. Thumbnails are setup to yes but like you see on my site is not working properly.

The category i tried to have a thumnail since is only one picture on the gallery is PORTRAIT and the subcat EXTERIOR

passion-pics.com

And on here you will find this error on top of the page

Warning: Division by zero in /home/pppasion/public_html/gallerie/pp-inc.php on line 2000

Message - PP GALLERIE !!

I looked at the tmpl file and compare with the original in the package of photopost and other tmpl file from other site and is no differences at all, so why that error ??

I think it comes all cause the imagemagick and mogrify. I wanted in the beginning to setup that option but i let it down , was to complicated for me. So i choose G2, i upload a photo as a test, the one you see on the gallerie, and it uploaded it well , and make the thumnails well either except for the cats.

What i can do ???

Please be gentil, i really don't understand nothing at programming, at most i can copy and paste what you tell me do, but is the maximum i can understand.
passionpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 08:28 AM   #13
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

I would have to see how you have it configured you must have something messed up in the settings

feel free to email us through the contact link in the header the url and admin login and make sure to link this post so we know what its for.

Old June 1st, 2010, 08:55 AM   #14
passionpics
Verified Customer

Thanks

Hello Chuck's

I just send you an email. Is too many issues that are not working properly. I just put everything back how it was and still is not working.

Hope you can help me out

Thanks
passionpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 12:52 PM   #15
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Okay yes as long as you sent details we can look at then I can respond.