PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > General Discussion

General Discussion General use discussion forum for PhotoPost products.

Old March 6th, 2005, 11:37 PM   #1
pengrus
Verified Customer

Educate me on Multiple/Optional Categories

In PP 5.0, when you upload a photo with optional category, does this photo get duplicated into each category or only one photo is uploaded into the server, and it only uses a relation link?

edited: looks like only one photo is on the server as all of them refers to one image path. That is great

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by pengrus; March 7th, 2005 at 12:30 AM.
pengrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2005, 12:09 AM   #2
pengrus
Verified Customer

I found if a photo is assigned (copy or option) to multiple category, lets say Landscape, Winner and Members Gallery. It is not possibe to get rid of the Winner category.... Did I miss anything?
Old March 7th, 2005, 12:32 AM   #3
pengrus
Verified Customer

The other question is, if a photo is assigned to multiple categories, they appear multiple times in that users gallery. Shouldn't this be modified to let it only show one image in "Users Gallery" or "Members Gallery"?

Thanks!
Old March 11th, 2005, 02:16 PM   #4
pengrus
Verified Customer

See posts above. The optional/multiple categories idea is great. It just needs a little bit more work.
Old March 11th, 2005, 03:11 PM   #5
Michael P
PhotoPost Developer
Verified Customer

Actually it works really well depending on your point of view.

There are two schools of thought on copied images: those who think that even copies should bedisplayed as it links people to different areas of the site where that image is display and those who think only one image should appear (the main image, I suppose and not one of the copies). Someone even complained that they couldn't pick which image was the one that got displayed.

Up til PP5.01 it displayed them as I preferred which was all images means ALL IMAGES - not all images but not copies. However, in PP5.01, I've made the change based on user feedback that only one copy will display and we'll just go from there.

Quote:
I found if a photo is assigned (copy or option) to multiple category, lets say Landscape, Winner and Members Gallery. It is not possibe to get rid of the Winner category.... Did I miss anything?
My best suggestion is to open a thread in the BUGS section with much more detail. When you post a "comments" kind of post in the INSTALLS area and it isn't about installation issues ("Educate me" isn't really an Installation or Upgrade issue, is it?), it can get overlooked. Even more so when the thread appears to be more of an opinion piece than an actual post looking for help on a particular subject.

Keeping posts limit to a single theme expressed by the subject line is the best way for everyone to benefit from a topic and allows us, at a glance, to get a feel for what we need to do - i.e. explain something, fix something or just let it be for group discussion. Posting in the right forum also makes it easier for us to organize our work efforts.
Old March 11th, 2005, 03:42 PM   #6
pengrus
Verified Customer

Sorry for posting it in the wrong forum. I was just overwhelmed by more and complex functions that PP offers. That is a good thing, right? :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P
There are two schools of thought on copied images: those who think that even copies should bedisplayed as it links people to different areas of the site where that image is display and those who think only one image should appear (the main image, I suppose and not one of the copies). Someone even complained that they couldn't pick which image was the one that got displayed.
I would vote display only one copy in the Members Gallery page. If they want to go to category, they have the choice of browser the category, not the Members Gallery. One copy in Members Gallery is enough for viewing. Having two or three copies of same images on one member's gallery page just looks disturbing.

Again, as you said, there are people prefer the other way. But for any other gallery softwares, I have not seen multiple copies displayed together.

Quote:
Up til PP5.01 it displayed them as I preferred which was all images means ALL IMAGES - not all images but not copies. However, in PP5.01, I've made the change based on user feedback that only one copy will display and we'll just go from there.
I guess you are referring to the change in PP 5.01 to exclude photos in Albums from showing on Member's gallery listing. And I like that change a lot.

The other related senario is if a photo is assigned to two categories, in PP 5.01, it still displays both copies in members gallery listing. I guess this is the only remaining issue that bothers me.

I will try my best to post in the right place and describe the issue more clear. I am very impressed by the support that I've received so far.
Old March 11th, 2005, 03:45 PM   #7
mjm
Ultimate Member
Verified Customer

Does this hopfully now mean that copied/assigned to additional cats pics won't show up as duplicates when viewing all users pics?

Mark
Upgrading main site this weekend
mjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2005, 03:50 PM   #8
pengrus
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm
Does this hopfully now mean that copied/assigned to additional cats pics won't show up as duplicates when viewing all users pics?

Mark
Upgrading main site this weekend
No. In 5.01, if a photo is assigned to two categories, all users pics page still shows the duplicates.
Old April 25th, 2005, 10:40 PM   #9
Layne Smith
Verified Customer

FWIW, I vote for one image in the users's gallery. When you go to a user's gallery you expect to see a body of work. Duplications give the appearance that the user accidentally uploaded two images and thereby looks like a buffoon. Not the impression I would like any of my users to have.

Coders might find it useful, but not a potential employer or a customer. They won't understand the usefulness of such a thing.

My 2
Layne Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2005, 11:04 PM   #10
mjm
Ultimate Member
Verified Customer

> Duplications give the appearance that the user accidentally uploaded two > images and thereby looks like a buffoon.
Well said!

Members reference this link the most because it only shows their pics, and it's no pleasure to view pics (showphoto) with dupes.
Unfortunately I have no coding experience to understand the logistics of preventing duplicate thumbnails in this category, but in practical terms I am hoping there is a way to only allow the primary uploaded pic/thumbnail to show up in this (members) category.

Mark
mjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 06:12 AM   #11
pengrus
Verified Customer

We have disabled the mutiple/optional categories... Besides the duplication, it has some other issues too like the thumbnails/albums not SHOWING after you delete one copy.. In the Latest Comment hack, it also shows thumbnails not available.

The main thing that I do not like is the duplications....
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:47 AM   #12
Michael P
PhotoPost Developer
Verified Customer

http://www.photopost.com/members/for...06&postcount=2

You could always apply this little mod.