PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > Before You Buy

Before You Buy Have questions about PhotoPost, ReviewPost and/or PhotoPost Classifieds before you buy?

Old January 5th, 2005, 05:39 PM   #1
jcollins

Suitability for Professional Photographer

How suitable is PhotoPost for a professional photographer? Most likely I am talking about a standalone site where users are registered by the photographer, the photos are not viewable by other users. There needs to be a feedback mechanism and the ability to buy prints of varying sizes online.

Thanks for your answer and if there are any such photopost sites out there a link would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Jim
jcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2005, 12:17 PM   #2
andi_ny

This is indeed a great feature, restricted viewing capable, wherein Administrators or Site owners can configure the level of user services and/or access. Likewise, when a potential member registers, he can select the type of user services he wishes to sign-up with.

RELATED QUESTION: -- Can we expand programmatically the features and modules of photopost, in accordance to our needs and requirements?

regards,
Andrew
andi_ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2005, 01:37 PM   #3
Michael P
PhotoPost Developer
Verified Customer

I use PhotoPost to run several sites and I am a professional photographer.

http://www.michaelpierce.com/gallery/index.php (personal site for family, using "gallery" layout)
http://www.extremebikini.com/gallery/index.php (hobby site featuring bikini photography)
http://www.extremefitness.com/gallery/index.php (site featuring event photography)
Old January 8th, 2005, 01:09 PM   #4
Wild Texas
Verified Customer

Send a message via MSN to Wild Texas
jcollins,

Once you have a Photopost Pro license, you're free to make any code modifications you desire. Photopost Pro, "off the shelf," is already well-suited to professional photographers in many ways. For example, without any code changes, password-protected galleries can be created by the administrator for clients to review their proofs.

Various code modifications, publicly shared via photopostdev.com, this website, PayPal's developer network (if integrating with PayPal's shopping cart), or provided by commercial developers, some of whom also work for Photopost, can extend the capabilities of the software further -- for example, to allow it to serve as a basic shopping cart or more advanced client photo review site.

You're welcome to wander the Photopost Pro installation my husband and I use in our professional photography business, Moore Photography & Design, to get a feel for what the software can be made to do.

That said, I do not offer my development or design services to others at present. Our own websites keep me busy as it is. I just wanted to chime in and provide something you could look at to see if Photopost can meet the needs of your business.

Truth be told, none of the changes I made are incredibly hard to do, though they do make upgrades more time-consuming and do require a high comfort level with database s and PHP (if not, learn to make backups so you can fearlessly experiment until things work as you desire).

Aside: I'd avoid or at least minimize using Javascript to implement any shopping cart functionality, by the way, but that's a personal preference. Browsers are evolving and so are users (slowly).
Wild Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2005, 01:23 PM   #5
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Shannon

Beautiful site. I see you have been hard at template and css design in regards to your photopost and it shows.

Andrew

As Shannon suggests the code is open to change. Now I would stay away from any java as well but if you want ultimate control over an easy cart you might want to do a java cart. You can browse Shannon's site and see how she has simply added a paypal shopping cart links to her Photos. The default paypal cart on the paypal site is limited so if you want to pass alot more variables to paypal there are alot of paypal java carts that are more feature rich. It all depends on what you want to do.

I think though Shannon has given a good example in her site on how some simple changes can make a huge difference in design and added functionality

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2005, 02:23 PM   #6
Michael P
PhotoPost Developer
Verified Customer

Great design work, Shannon! Excellent presentation.
Old January 8th, 2005, 02:33 PM   #7
Wild Texas
Verified Customer

Send a message via MSN to Wild Texas
Thanks for the kudos. Now I just need to get off my rump and upgrade to the latest version on that site. I tend to let it lapse a version or two, due to the time it takes to upgrade, but obviously am security-conscious and prefer running the latest version.

When it comes to upgrading, I don't know what I'd do without Beyond Compare 2.0 (for the uninitiated -- a file and folder comparison utility for detecting and reconciling differences between different versions of files.)
Wild Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2005, 02:47 PM   #8
Michael P
PhotoPost Developer
Verified Customer

I can't live without BC.
Old January 8th, 2005, 07:49 PM   #9
jcollins

You have quite a nice site and I want to thank you for inviting me to look at it. It has certainly caused me to want to delve deeper into photopost. I would also like to thank everyone else who took the time to reply to my request.

Jim
jcollins is offline   Reply With Quote