PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > General Discussion

General Discussion General use discussion forum for PhotoPost products.

Old August 6th, 2004, 11:43 AM   #1
garybrun
Verified Customer

Catagorie Thumbnail

Version: PhotoPost PHP 4.8.1
http://www.gallery.minelabowners.com...post/index.php
phpBB 2.0.6
http://www.minelabowners.com

I am trying to find out how to add the thumbnail to my catagory index.
When I look in my admin edit catagories panel and options area... all I have is
thumbnail for main index "None" with no area to add a new thumbnail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg example.jpg (14.6 KB, 36 views)
garybrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2004, 12:04 PM   #2
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

You need to view a photo in a category and select make thumbnail

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2004, 12:14 PM   #3
garybrun
Verified Customer

Thanks for that.... never saw that link in catagory before.
Old August 7th, 2004, 06:15 AM   #4
garybrun
Verified Customer

Is it possible to prevent the software from resizing the thumbnail for the index thumb.
The reason why I ask is that i have made some custom thumbs... and would like them to be clear/ easy to read. The resize looses quality.
http://www.gallery.minelabowners.com
Old August 7th, 2004, 09:34 AM   #5
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

The category and recent comments images are coded to be .5 the size of the thumb.

Techically you could change this but it would make both thumbs big.

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Old August 17th, 2004, 03:55 PM   #6
Wild Texas
Verified Customer

Send a message via MSN to Wild Texas
Just a note -- I have a heavily customized install of Photopost Pro on one of my sites (OutdoorPhoto.com), and today was my second attempt at upgrading from 4.7x to 4.8.1. I use a variation of the alternate categories.tmpl for my gallery's index page, and couldn't figure out why I no longer could get thumbnails to display for my categories. It took Omegatron's post above for it to 'click' with me and help me resolve the customization issue.

Photopost currently calls category thumbnails "index thumbs" in one place (showphoto.tmpl, where we get to define if the currently viewed photo should be used for the category's thumbnail image) and "avatars" in another (in the Admin panel in two places, where you need to have Avatars enabled and displayed).

It's likely going to cause others confusion, if not now then at some point. They should be called either one or the other, but not both "index thumbs" AND "avatars". Your categories.tmpl can be perfect, but if you have Avatars turned off you'll be up a creek with no thumbs!

And while I'm rambling, a feature suggestion I have is to let folks define the size of the "avatar"/"index thumb". I hacked code for myself, but folks shouldn't be stuck with a microscopic image when all the other sizes are configurable (bigimage, medium image threshhold, gallery-wide thumbnails, etc.)

Great work on the new version, btw. A couple of the new features are things I was dragging my heels to TRY and implement myself. You did it, and did it much more cleanly than my unskilled hands would have done it!

Last edited by Wild Texas; August 17th, 2004 at 04:18 PM.
Wild Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2004, 04:29 PM   #7
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Wild Texas

There is nothing wrong with the code. It is coded the way it was designed and variables are not called different things ever. The code is not in showphoto.tmpl at all to be correct. It is is in the php file. The variable is AVATAR throughout the coding and is not switched to anything else. What you are referring to is the language string which says "Make Index Thumb" which you may change to your desire. Language strings usually have never followed any variable names.

If you are trying to make a suggestion please put it in the suggestions forum.
We dont follow suggestions here in the general forum at all. That is why we have a suggestion forum so when we code new versions we can research in one place user's feature requests.

Last edited by Chuck S; August 17th, 2004 at 04:34 PM.
Old August 17th, 2004, 04:35 PM   #8
Wild Texas
Verified Customer

O-kay. Sorry to offend... What I'm telling you is something that is a potential usability issue from a developer/site owner/adminstrator standpoint. "Avatar" doesn't equal "index thumb" in my mind. So I was suggesting you guys choose to refer to it as one or the other.

Where did I say your code was broken?
Old August 17th, 2004, 04:48 PM   #9
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

There was no offense was taken on my part!

You posted their was code in a file and stating php variables were mismatch named. I simply corrected your statement that the code was not in showproduct.tmpl and indeed all variables were named the same throughout the php coding. I see you have edited your post above to remove your reference to the wrong file. As I stated above the language string you are talking about is in a language file which you may name anything you want. This is the exact reason we have language files and templates so user's may modify them to their liking.

I also stated to make a suggestion you need to post it in the proper forum. We actually add tons of features user's request.

Old August 17th, 2004, 04:54 PM   #10
Wild Texas
Verified Customer

You really, seriously, need to slow down and read what's written to you.

I actually congratulated Photopost for adding features I, myself, wanted and needed and was dragging my heels to try and custom code for myself. So I'm obviously aware that "We actually add tons of features user's (sic) request."

You still don't understand my post and I'll just give up now. Maybe someone else can communicate what was written to you more clearly.

I'm well aware of what can be changed in Photopost (without hacking code, even) -- that's why I have multiple licenses and have different websites running completely different variations of it. I was simply stating that something was very confusing, and that it could be made less confusing by being more consistent. If that doesn't make sense, I don't know how else to say it.
Old August 17th, 2004, 05:11 PM   #11
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Yes I saw your compliment and its appreciated.

I also see you took my suggestion and placed your suggestion in the suggestion forum.

I simply corrected you since your talking about code in showphoto.tmpl that simply does not exist. The variables throughout the code as I stated are $cats['avatar']. I stated your referring to language strings not code on the Make Index Thumb thing. If you dont understand anything I posted then I as well dont know what else to say either so lets leave it at that.

Old August 17th, 2004, 11:04 PM   #12
Wild Texas
Verified Customer

Yes, I goofed and mentioned a tmpl file when I should have referred to a php but that's not the point. Here is what I was simply trying to say:

The ability to display a thumbnail on the Photopost index page is referred to as two different things depending on where it's accessed. In the admin panel, it's referred to twice -- the first instance as a yes/no field that pertains to "Show Category Avatars?
Do you want to display the Index Avatars?" and the second instance as a yes/no field that pertains to "Show Avatars? When available, show avatars?"

However, to get these "Avatars" to show up, the Photopost admin/developer/owner needs to know that these "Avatars" are the same thing as the "Make Category Thumbnail". This, to me, was very confusing -- when I think of an avatar, I think of the small graphics usually seen in forum software next to a user's name (and usually defined/chosen by them). My whole point was that since these are inter-dependent things -- their labeling and/or naming should be clearer... rather than referring to them as index thumbnails in one place and avatars in the Admin. The point is NOT whether or not the variables are consistent in the code or whether or not the labels can be redefined in the language files -- the point was I think it's confusing and wanted to point it out because after it'd caused me a lot of confusion, I felt it might likely confuse others.
Old August 17th, 2004, 11:12 PM   #13
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Okay well both of those references are pretty darn clear in the admin section to me. Maybe its just me.

In the admin section

Under INDEX OPTIONS

Show category avatars. THIS CONTROLS THE CATEGORY AVATARS

under SHOWPHOTO OPTIONS

Show Avatars THIS CONTROLS THE USER AVATAR ON COMMENTS.

In version 4.8 we made sure to also as there are all these options to separate them into their own sections so users know what they are for.

Last edited by Chuck S; August 17th, 2004 at 11:14 PM.
Old August 17th, 2004, 11:17 PM   #14
Wild Texas
Verified Customer

Clear as mud, I'd say. Fine... with this thread folks will at least know that in the Photopost world an "Avatar" for a category is the same thing as an "Index Thumbnail"...

geesh
Old August 17th, 2004, 11:19 PM   #15
Wild Texas
Verified Customer

No wonder I hang out in photopostdev more now than here. This place is just nutty... and I mean that in the kindest way possible. Have a nice day.
Old September 7th, 2004, 06:32 PM   #16
Elmer

I'm trying to find the link to add the avatar to the category in the editing category section but I don't see anyting.. below is a screenshot and there's no link in there.

Edited: never mind. I found it
Attached Images
File Type: png Image-0010.png (16.0 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Elmer; September 7th, 2004 at 09:03 PM.
Elmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2004, 09:27 AM   #17
flat

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegatron
You need to view a photo in a category and select make thumbnail
Sorry, I can't find this link
Is it on showphoto.php or on editphoto.php ?
Do you know how it's called with French lang file?
Thx
flat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2004, 09:08 AM   #18
flat

Please
flat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2004, 10:13 AM   #19
Geiri
Verified Customer

I am lost one this one to?
Where is that button....
Could some one post a screenshot of this wunder button.
Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2004, 10:01 AM   #20
PyroMarkus
Verified Customer

Same with me - I do NOT see any link "make thumbnail" or similar in showphoto.php - where is it?

I have the index option
"Show Category Avatars?
Do you want to display the Index Avatars?" set to "yes"...

I use 4.8.1...
PyroMarkus is offline   Reply With Quote