PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > General Discussion

General Discussion General use discussion forum for PhotoPost products.

Old September 24th, 2004, 05:27 PM   #1
heisiam
Verified Customer

Question I need to upload some files for my customers

I was using Coppermine prior to having PhotoPost installed so that my customers could post their scrapbook layouts to a gallery on my website. I have asked my customers to re-register but told them they would not have to re-uplod the files for their layouts as I thought could move those over to the new PhotoPost gallery and into their new albums for them. The problem is that I don't know how to do this without asking each member for their log in information. Is there a way I can do this for my customers? Thanks for any infor you can provide.

Cheryl
CB Digital Designs
heisiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2004, 08:59 PM   #2
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

I answered this by the email you sent me however here goes again

While your logged in as admin there is a box the last one on the admin options that states Upload as User? and there you can input there username. The system will assign the picture you upload to that user.

No need to know their passwords

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2004, 09:03 PM   #3
mjm
Ultimate Member
Verified Customer

Unfortunately this is not possible to do. I have asked.
Despite all the bells and whistles this program offers, admin is not able to create albums for users.

As a web publisher, I consider this a major flaw. Imagine not being able to access and manage such a crucial part of your own site!

As instructed by PP, I requested a mod here, but no replies.
Need mod to create album name/Change ownership to username

Mark
mjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2004, 09:06 PM   #4
Michael P
PhotoPost Developer
Verified Customer

Every feature someone wants is a "major flaw", we've got hundreds of people upset that we don't have the one feature they want, but as everyone here can tell you we make a best effort to accomidate them all during our upgrades. It's something we can consider for a future release.
Old September 24th, 2004, 09:15 PM   #5
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

MJM

actually I beleive Jen is asking how to assign photos on upload more than anything but what your talking about trying to modify is very simple

All that is needed is a tool in admin album management to assign a userid to the parent field in the mysql table of that album. It's really cake work much like we do for upuser on uploadphoto.

Basically it can be as simple as adding an assign to user field box in album admin so an admin can create albums and simply enter a user's username in their and if that box is not empty run a query to change ownership

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Old September 24th, 2004, 10:54 PM   #6
mjm
Ultimate Member
Verified Customer

omegatron/hessiam,
I presumed by this line that the issue was about albums...

"I have asked my customers to re-register but told them they would not have to re-uplod the files for their layouts as I thought could move those over to the new PhotoPost gallery and into their new albums for them.

Changing username during upload, and the recently added option to change username after upload are two features I requested two+ years ago, so I agree that you have added many new features to PhotoPost.

Michael, when I said "As a web publisher, I am referring to anyone who MUST have total control in management of a site. Naturally, I consider this is a flaw because it has left me powerless to implement what I had hoped to be a preemo section of our site.
To make things worse I have a stack of submissions of artwork in the awaiting process bin because of artists computer illiteracy.

Perhaps I have been hoping for too much with the albums feature.
I had hoped that the albums features would serve as a mini web portal for select members, ie when visitors visit their albums, that's all they saw - not their pics mixed up with everyone elses in the main cats.
But I know whatever method I set up for our members has to look at least as professional as the freeware available.

Well, I know you guys have been busy, and I needed a break myself from all this techno stuff. But the internet chugs along 24/7 and now I gotta sort out or move on.

omegatron, what you are saying makes sense, but when it come to technical details, I'm a purebred dodo.
Let me know if can provide this mod and an estimate of cost.
Thanks,
Mark
mjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2004, 02:35 PM   #7
heisiam
Verified Customer

"While your logged in as admin there is a box the last one on the admin options that states Upload as User?"

I'm sorry, but I don't see this anywhere! I contacted the customer, she gave me her password, I went in and created her albums for her thinking there had to be albums there before this "Upload as User?" option was available to me as admin but I still cannot find it anywhere.
Old September 25th, 2004, 02:46 PM   #8
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Photopost has regular categories and personal albums.

Users need to create their own personal albums although admins can upload to them.

Admins need to create categories

Remember you will see Photopost is way more feature rich than albinator. Albinator is centered around personal albums period.

In the Photopost upload page there is the last input box for admin bulk options

Upload photos as user?

Old September 25th, 2004, 03:36 PM   #9
heisiam
Verified Customer

Thank you for your reply. I'm assuming that "albinator" which you mention above, is like Coppermine? Is there somewhere that explains the difference between categories and albums etc... What I did was went in and created a category and then set up two sub categories under this for my layouts and the customers layoutsand can you tell me how to get rid of a category? There is one that will not allow me to add any subcategories, that's why I created a new category, and it will not allow me the option of deleting it.
Code:
Content visible to verified customers only.
Old September 25th, 2004, 03:49 PM   #10
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

If you renamed members gallery to layout gallery of course you cant delete it.

You can elect not to show the members gallery in admin options but you can not delete it.

Really I dont know what more I can say in this thread without being repititious and stating the same thing in emails here.. I have the owner who I installed it for communicating by email and then this thread so I have already answered the customer by email.

Old September 25th, 2004, 04:06 PM   #11
heisiam
Verified Customer

Forgive me for saying so but I'm only replying to the emails that YOU have sent me and to the posts here that YOU have replied to. I am not trying to be difficult just trying to get some help so that I can get my gallery going. I don't think there is any reason to be rude or impatient. I am sorry to be such a bother but I'm just trying to understand how photopost works and there isn't much in the way of documentation that I can see on the site and so the forums and email to the installer is the only way I can see to do this.
Old September 25th, 2004, 05:58 PM   #12
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I don't see this anywhere! I contacted the customer, she gave me her password, I went in and created her albums for her thinking there had to be albums there before this "Upload as User?" option was available to me as admin but I still cannot find it anywhere.
No one is being rude. I stated there is nothing more to say since I have replied directly to the customer. You will see multiple many threads where we tell customers not to use multiple support options on the same subject. You post above which I quoted states you are not the customer and that you are helping them out. Thus I choose to simply state I have already been in contact with the customer directly by email and I will not be posting in this thread anymore as we have dealt with this issue by email.

Old September 25th, 2004, 06:28 PM   #13
heisiam
Verified Customer

:::sigh::: I am not helping your customer out I AM the customer (Cheryl Barber) that you installed PhotoPost for, the customer I was referring to in my post above to get their password was MY own customer who I want to upload the layouts for. LOL! Looks like this was just a misunderstanding. I apologize for trying to get help both through email and the forum, I did not realize I wasn't supposed to do this. Please accept my apologies

Cheryl
Old September 25th, 2004, 06:49 PM   #14
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Not a problem Cheryl I dont offend easily

LOL Yes when we talk about the customer here it usually means ours

As I said there was no need for me to keep replying in this thread since I was dealing with you through email.