PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > General Discussion

General Discussion General use discussion forum for PhotoPost products.

Old July 8th, 2004, 12:02 PM   #1
shamrox
Verified Customer

Send a message via AIM to shamrox
Question htaccess for specific category?

I have a public PhotoPost installation. I wanted to know if I could use an .htaccess file to restrict access to a specific category?

I'm aware of the password feature in the photopost admin - but unfortunately all it takes is one big mouth and the whole world can get in. I have pennywize installed that blocks out attempted hacks on my htpasswd file.

I actually have a pay site using CCBill's ecommerce/password script and would like for specific categories in PhotoPost to refer to that .htpasswd file.

Is this possible?

I tried putting a htaccess file in the corresponding data dir for that category - no luck. I also tried referring to the htaccess file in the field for the header path when editing categories - no luck. There must be a way to refer to that htaccess file when a certain category is loaded?

Last edited by shamrox; July 8th, 2004 at 12:46 PM.
shamrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2004, 08:12 PM   #2
shamrox
Verified Customer

*bump*
Old July 8th, 2004, 08:34 PM   #3
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

There is no real way to htaccess only certain cats. Even if you htaccess and manage to get it to work with certain data subdirectories then your going to serve up everyone big X's

I think the thing you need to do is take into account Photopost's robust features and permission settings based on usergroups. Example being that you can place certain user's into another usergroup which can view these cats and then restrict access to the regular groups.

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2004, 08:49 PM   #4
shamrox
Verified Customer

Yeah Im actually very familiar with how the usergroups work - unfortunately I have a member base of 300+ that is getting updated daily...new members, old members dropping, etc. It would be impossible for me to update that every day - I'm looking for something that can be implemented in real-time. Right now Im using CCBill and Verotel as billing processors -

I guess I'll just have to install photoshop entirely in a protected directory. Unless someone knows of a better solution?
Old August 25th, 2004, 11:09 AM   #5
SLix

I have tried doing what you are talking about. It worked great, by puting the htaccess file in the data directories that I wanted to protect, but then I discovered that the thumbnails are also stored in the same data directories, which results in the user getting the password box just by entering that category, then the thumbs will not load if they do not have a username/pass.... that's as far as I got.

I have always had a lot of problems using htaccess with this script just to prevent hot linking. I am able to stop other sites linking to spesific files, but I can not stop their users from copying the URL and pasting it in their browser to view a movie file. If I prevent them from doing that, then my own members can not view or download the files. My bandwidth so far this month is about 700GB and it's driving me mad!
SLix is offline   Reply With Quote