PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > General Discussion

General Discussion General use discussion forum for PhotoPost products.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2004, 03:58 PM   #1
dvn
Verified Customer

largish site, poor performance, what to do?

I've got a rapidly growing photopost installation - 12k photos, growing at a rate of about 2-3k per month lately. We've got multiple hundreds of categories and 50-100 concurrent users throughout the day, about 120k page views/day in the gallery. my poor server simply cannot handle the load and I've got database guys telling me that photopost "doesn't scale well". we've already optimized the indexing, I moved to a dedicated server a couple months ago and had hopes that this would solve my performance problems. Do I really need to pay $500+ per month (the going rate at my provider) to upgrade to a high-end machine and fast drives to host my not-so-large site? what can I do to improve performance?

I'm desperate at this point and would love to hear any ideas from those who've been through this. what about something like Turck MMCache? should I look for a different provider in hopes of getting a better deal somewhere else? can I optimize pp somehow? tia
dvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2004, 10:23 PM   #2
HobbyTalk
Verified Customer

While I don't have that large of a PP install, I do have a fairly active vBulletin with 80K page views per day. My PP install gets about 10K page views per day with a few smaller sites for an additional 10K. At this time I have to run a dedicated 2.4G Pentium with 1G RAM to stay ahead of any problems. I figure I can about double my visits before I will need to upgrade. So yes, I figure with 120K page views you will need a fairly powerful server to run it. I do have PHPA installed to help speed up things.

Looks like you are running a 1.6G Pentium and hopefully you have more then the standard 256M RAM. Upgrading the RAM to 1G would help a LOT!

Last edited by HobbyTalk; July 6th, 2004 at 10:27 PM.
HobbyTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2004, 10:19 AM   #3
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Also I would upgrade to 4.8 if you have not cause their are some performance enhancing things done to speed things up for big sites

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2004, 06:24 PM   #4
dvn
Verified Customer

my understanding is that the differences in 4.8 are only indexing. I've already upgraded, and gone through some indexing exercises, with minimal improvements. I *really* need to see my questions addressed more seriously by some support people here. what can be done to improve performance of photopost on active sites?

please answer this question: should I expect to have to run photopost on a high-performance dedicated server if my site gets busy?
Old July 7th, 2004, 07:26 PM   #5
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

I think I answered your question. You never said what version you were running.

The index drops were not the only changes. There were several changes to done with work being done alot on the online table.

If you want to increase performance turn off the who's online. If you have large amounts of thumb displayed in the thumb blocks cut these down.

If you have hundreds of cats and they are showing alot. Try decreasing the cat depth so only parents will show or the first 3 levels

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Old July 7th, 2004, 07:38 PM   #6
dvn
Verified Customer

thanks, I'll try turning off the who's online, and also your other suggestions, though I hate the idea of having to disable features in order to keep my server from toppling over. my question still stands though, what kind of hardware requirements should I expect when running a fairly active pp site? is it the norm to *not* be able to run pp in a typical shared-hosting kind of setup? I'm having to throw all kinds of hardware and $$ at the problem in hopes of keeping my site alive, is this the norm?
Old July 7th, 2004, 08:34 PM   #7
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Well most people run Photopost in a shared environment.

However there are user's who have larger sites with a fair amount of traffic. These sites need dedicated servers. No way around that. How many GB a month traffic do you do?

The things you want to look for are price versus features obviously. Dedicated Servers can be expensive but once a site outgrows the shared environment thats it it is time.

Quote:
I've got a rapidly growing photopost installation - 12k photos, growing at a rate of about 2-3k per month lately. We've got multiple hundreds of categories and 50-100 concurrent users throughout the day, about 120k page views/day in the gallery.
This tells me your most likely read for a dedicated server if your still on a shared plan. Problem is your site really from a user standpoint is not big. However if you have 100 users online at the same time all requesting page views that most likely the load on the server is going through the roof for mysql queries You might try to also tweak your mysql

Old July 7th, 2004, 08:44 PM   #8
dvn
Verified Customer

I *used* to be on a shared plan, I just never dreamed that a dedicated server would be in my future. and now that I'm on a 2.4 ghz dedicated box, that I figured would solve every problem I've ever had, and it's toppling over on a daily basis, I'm just a little distressed and frustrated. we have over 100 concurrent users regularly and I believe we're doing 120-150 GB a month, most all of which is PP. I love photopost but it bothers me greatly that my members are having to put up with these issues.
Old July 7th, 2004, 08:57 PM   #9
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Okay well try the things suggested.

More than likely your apache and mysql have to be configured and tweaked a bit. I would first go setting your mysql settings to the larger database norms for mysql. They have some examples at mysql.com for larger sites

Your server logs and such should give you some hints on exactly what is bogging things down so that would be best to look into

Old July 8th, 2004, 05:23 AM   #10
b6gm6n

yeah, tweek mysql, php and turn off some un-needed features in PP, whos-online, cat viewers, quality of thumbs, reduce the amount of pix shown on a single page etc...

-T
b6gm6n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2004, 03:37 PM   #11
dvn
Verified Customer

here are some of the mysql settings. how do they look?

ft_min_word_len=3
join_buffer_size=1M
key_buffer_size=50M
max_allowed_packet=1M
max_connect_errors=10000
max_connections=500
read_buffer_size=1M
sort_buffer_size=1M
table_cache=500
thread_cache_size=20
wait_timeout=14400