PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > PhotoPost Support > PhotoPost Pro Support Forums > Photopost Pro Import Scripts

Photopost Pro Import Scripts Looking to upgrade to PhotoPost? We'll post any importers we develop here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old September 29th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #1
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Photopost vbGallery to Photopost Pro Import Script

***PROVIDED AS IS NO SUPPORT ***

Import Instructions for vBGallery import.

1. Upload the two files to your photopost directory and CHMOD vbag.cnf.php to 777

2. Run the importer through your web browser and fill in all required info and paths for both programs

3. The importer will cycle through in steps each process.

4. After Import cleanup work needed.

a. In Admin => Edit Categories view the cats list and hit save. Scan down each parent in sortcats and hit save. This reinitializes the children count to show children of parent cats. Very Important. Any cat that is clickable meaning it has children click the cat to see the child list and hit save.

b. Under Scan Database recheck and build post number and check for children.

c. Make sure to set any usergroup and categories permissions you see fit.

d. Set your medium size threshold in Upload Options and under Scan Database rebuild your medium images.
Attached Files
File Type: zip vbag.zip (4.3 KB, 65 views)

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.

Last edited by Chuck S; August 26th, 2012 at 12:45 PM.
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 05:32 PM   #2
KW802
Verified Customer

Looks like one more tweak will be needed, if possible. Just did an import from vBGallery 2.1 to PP 6 and only the 'medium' images were imported.

In the vBGallery table to PP table mapping it should use "originalname", "originalfilesize", "originalwidth", "originalheight" for the values of "bigname", "filesize", "width", & "height" when "originalname" is not empty and then "filename", "filesize", "width", & "height" mapped to {medium file location}, "medsize", "medwidth", & "medheight" accordingly. If "originalname" is empty then the current mappings work as-is.

That may present a problem though since vBGallery appends the suffix "_original" to the end of the 'bigimage' name (eg: "abc.jpg" turns into "abc_original.jpg" and "abc.jpg" is the new medium image).
KW802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 05:48 PM   #3
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

well actually we do not import the medium pic it is the resized pic. The original pic is an option not all people use. You can turn that off in vbgallery so we never really supported that optional thing when we wrote this years ago.

Now if I ever get time I will look into that or how we could support that optional pic format.

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Old November 1st, 2007, 06:02 PM   #4
KW802
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
well actually we do not import the medium pic it is the resized pic. The original pic is an option not all people use. You can turn that off in vbgallery so we never really supported that optional thing when we wrote this years ago.

Now if I ever get time I will look into that or how we could support that optional pic format.
You obviously consider it to be unimportant but it means that many other people, just not myself, will be unable to convert because of the missing original images.

At least for me it would mean losing thousands of images (2,171 to be precise). Looks like no conversion for me at this time.
Old November 11th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #5
StuartDH
Verified Customer

We're getting mixed up photos in the new PP6 gallery if images have the same/similar jpg names in the vbgallery, even though they were in different folders for different members

Here's an original image from vbgallery

http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/ga...imageuser=4218 by 'Wilf'

In PP6 it's showing as:

http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/pi...hp?photo=22453

but the above pic belongs to the 'Duke of York' and shows correctly for both old and new galleries:

vbgallery - http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/ga...searchid=87280
pp6 - http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/pi...94/ppuser/4090

The vbgallery files were

http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/ga...tamuscaria.jpg
http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/ga...tamuscaria.jpg

So different everything, except for the same jpg filename

It's affected hundreds of images in the new PP6 which we've now had running for a few days and thought we'd finalised everything so members have been uploading to it.

Stuart
StuartDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #6
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

That would be a bug in vbgallery then in my opinion or at the very least a SEVERE limitation in that specific software. Remember on import we are simply moving the data to Photopost. Inputting photos and files are two separate actions. We fill our photos table with their photo info and then on the file import try and import the filenames that have been imported into our photos table.

See in Photopost we do not allow images with the same name EVER so on upload we change filenames. This is to prevent mix ups as you are seeing if you move an image to another category that has an image with the same name it would be possible to overwrite some other image. Therefore this is why on our upload we do our $imgchk routine on upload or edit of a photo.

Honestly I dont know offhand how to overcome that limitation in vbgallery since the import does not use the upload portion of our program which corrects imagenames. I bet this issue affects any image in the members gallery because images are in one category.

If I get some time I will look and see if there is anything I can do to overcome that vbgallery bug.

Old November 12th, 2007, 10:49 AM   #7
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Kevin

This now supports the originalfile if it exists we import that file. Actually was quite easy bout 10 mins to do. vbGallery stores the originalname as you instructed so no need for fancy coding. All we need to do is a couple if switches when we import the photos.

Old November 12th, 2007, 11:49 AM   #8
KW802
Verified Customer

Quote:
Kevin

This now supports the originalfile if it exists we import that file. Actually was quite easy bout 10 mins to do. vbGallery stores the originalname as you instructed so no need for fancy coding. All we need to do is a couple if switches when we import the photos.
Excellent! If that works as expected then it means I can free up a vBulletin license and use the new PP 6 'mini-forum' features for the site I have in mind. I'll be testing it out this week (as soon as time allows).
Old November 12th, 2007, 11:54 AM   #9
KW802
Verified Customer

Quote:
See in Photopost we do not allow images with the same name EVER so on upload we change filenames. This is to prevent mix ups as you are seeing if you move an image to another category that has an image with the same name it would be possible to overwrite some other image.
FYI for the 'vBGallery' mindset... the files are always stored in the user folder (though there are times I wish we had the option of using the category ID structure instead for permissions flexibility but... ) and if the same file name already existed within the user folder then the new files do get renamed (I think just a "_"+seq at the end of the file before the extension) but there was never a need to check across folders because files from two different users would never be in the same folder.
Old November 12th, 2007, 12:04 PM   #10
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Yeah not really a bug but a severe limitation IMO to vbgallery. If vbGallery does rename files i dont see it.

The originalname was easy though since their are separate fields for thumbnail filename originalfilename it was easy no fancy coding to rename files or anything.

Old November 12th, 2007, 01:05 PM   #11
KW802
Verified Customer

Quote:
Yeah not really a bug but a severe limitation IMO to vbgallery. If vbGallery does rename files i dont see it.
It's in the fetch_image_info function... I just looked at the code; I thought it did a sequence number but it looks like it just does a random number instead.
Old November 12th, 2007, 01:35 PM   #12
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

well if it worked then and actually updated the filename and file on disk like we do when uploading a photon in photopost pro. I dont think we would see the issue Stuart is reporting. So we shall see.

Old November 12th, 2007, 02:14 PM   #13
KW802
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartDH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KW802 View Post
... if the same file name already existed within the user folder then the new files do get renamed ...
Quote:
well if it worked then and actually updated the filename and file on disk like we do when uploading a photon in photopost pro. I dont think we would see the issue Stuart is reporting. So we shall see.
Stuart's example has the same named file but in two different user folders hence they were not renamed by vBGallery as part of the upload process.
Old November 12th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #14
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Correct which is the limitation and is incompatible with the photopost file structure as we have already seen.

Old November 14th, 2007, 01:16 PM   #15
Zachariah

Send a message via ICQ to Zachariah Send a message via AIM to Zachariah Send a message via MSN to Zachariah Send a message via Skype™ to Zachariah
vbag.php?action=import_files

It would be nice to have this operation broken up.

I am working on a site w/ 88K images or so and after a while the script will prompt me to start downloading the php file.
Zachariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #16
blkatt
Verified Customer

Any progress yet? Just checking. Thanks.
blkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 12:06 PM   #17
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

progress on what? The importer works as it is designed to work.

Old November 19th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #18
blkatt
Verified Customer

Exclamation

Working as it should? Its sounds like we're talking two different things here. I have yet to get any images to show on my end. I've tried several times but it appears futile.

Well, let me correct that- I'm showing thumbnails with no images as well as pics with broken links - but pic comments do show. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Thanks.

Last edited by blkatt; November 19th, 2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old November 19th, 2007, 02:34 PM   #19
KW802
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkatt View Post
Working as it should? Its sounds like we're talking two different things here. I have yet to get any images to show on my end. I've tried several times but it appears futile.

Well, let me correct that- I'm showing thumbnails with no images as well as pics with broken links - but pic comments do show. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Thanks.
Did you download a recent copy of the import script? There was an issue with the original release that has been fixed and Chuck has refreshed the attachment in the first post.
Old November 19th, 2007, 02:38 PM   #20
blkatt
Verified Customer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW802 View Post
Did you download a recent copy of the import script? There was an issue with the original release that has been fixed and Chuck has refreshed the attachment in the first post.
Oh ok, I'll give it a try later. Thanks - I didn't know that. I'm crossing my fingers it works.