PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > Before You Buy

Before You Buy Have questions about PhotoPost, ReviewPost and/or PhotoPost Classifieds before you buy?

Old July 20th, 2005, 09:42 PM   #1
sircambridge

switch from photopost to VbAdvanced Gallery

I am thinking about making the switch from photopost to VbAdvanced Gallery. I have been using photopost since 3.1, for more than two years now.

I have no doubts that the database can be easily imported, but I have a few questions before I make the switch.

1. seperation of member albums with categories. How exactly does this work in vbag? in photopost members had their OWN gallery area, which showed albums, as well as the ability to assign their album to categories. so when you go to a category, their album will show up. in vbag, theoretically, could I assign mamber galleries to calendar events? I could just write some code in the album administration assigns itself to an event, and write some code in calendar view to "get" associated albums and display the link?

2. in vbag, is it theoretically possible to associate a forum with a category? in vba, there were modules to include recent threads and forums. It should be possible for me to code a module that gets the current category or subcategory(from the URL maybe), and includes the corrosponding forum or thread? (of course this would have to be assigned in the database first)

3. now this might be pushing it, but would be be possible for me to write some code to associate categories with users? in Vb you can easily add user custom profiles, which they can choose from a list upon registration. it should be possible for me to write a module which gets the current user id, and gets a specified custom profile field, then makes a query to find the associated category?

4. finally, show a thread for each picture, as a comments section? is this how vbag does it currently?

I am willing to put time and effort into modding vbag for my purposes and I would share my mods with the community. photopost is a great product, but their integration with vb3 is a bit of a hack. they just include the vb header and footer, use the class selectors for their tables so the style matches, and make sure there are no conflicts. (I have sucessfully integrated vba and photopost, but there were so many issues to be solved. for example loading pp-inc.php breaks vba RC2's ability to show vb phrases) I am a little fed up with hacking photopost because its always so hard to figure out what their code is trying to do. maybe they did this so it would be hard to steal their code. also I think their development philosophy is short sighted. all their new features are responses to user requests, they have no long-term vision or direction. they just keep hacking in new feature after new feature so they can claim they have the most features of any photo gallery and charge you 120 dollars.
Old July 20th, 2005, 11:25 PM   #2
Brian

Re: switch from photopost to VbAdvanced Gallery

1). From what I understand, our concept of a "Members' Gallery" is a little different from PP's. Their Members' Gallery is simply a list of all users who have uploaded images to the gallery. In vBa Gallery, you can assign any category to act as a members' category. Then any images that are uploaded to that category will automatically be placed in a "sub-category" (which I put in quotes since a category is not actually created, it just appears as one is on the user side). You can also set any category you would like to allow your members to create their own sub-categories. Any sub-categories created within a category that has been set to act as a members' gallery will also be placed under the "sub-category" that is named after that user. For a better example of this, take a look at the "Members' Category" category in the [ur=http://www.vbadvanced.com/gallery/]demo[/url]. As for assigning categories to calendar events, that would take a little work, but as long as you're familiar with PHP and can understand vB's coding pretty well then it shouldn't be much of a problem.

2). It would be helpful if I knew a little more about what exactly you were trying to do with this, but again, as long as you're familiar with PHP and vB then it shouldn't be too difficult.

3). See the answer to #2.

4). I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this...
Old July 22nd, 2005, 01:38 AM   #3
sircambridge

for 2) and 4) what I really mean is this : Each "category" should have its own forum, and each picture should have its own thread.

so in a category page, there would be a list of subcategories, as well as the category forum. for example, a "pets" category page would show a forum related to pets.

What I really want to find out is : how are comments for a picture stored? are they stored as threads in the database? that would be convenient if I wanted to show "recent comments from this category," as that would just be a module that shows recent threads from this forum. does that make any sense, or is there a better way to do this?

for 3) what I mean is this : when a user registers, for example, he/she chooses his/her profession such as "doctors, programmers, etc" and after they log in there can be a link to the "doctors home page" which is the doctor category, with the doctor forum, and the doctor recent picture, as well as the doctor recent comments new users etc?

perhaps this is too complex and there is an easier way to do this. I do not want to make seperate vb3/vba/vbag installations, because I also want a "general home page" which shows all recent pictures, recent comments etc.

I am familiar with php, I need to sit down and learn how vbag and vb works the database. I just want an expert opinion, if this can be done through the existing framework, is everything object oriented and accessible, For photopost, I would have to do it almost entirely seperately, because it is so hard to integrate anything, not to mention it is close to impossible to change the layout without completely rewriting sections of the code. When they make a security fix, I have to re-re-write everything...

If someone thinks it should'nt be too hard, a simple "buy gallery and you won't be disappointed" would suffice.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 07:34 PM   #4
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sircambridge
for 2) and 4) what I really mean is this : Each "category" should have its own forum, and each picture should have its own thread.

so in a category page, there would be a list of subcategories, as well as the category forum. for example, a "pets" category page would show a forum related to pets.

What I really want to find out is : how are comments for a picture stored? are they stored as threads in the database? that would be convenient if I wanted to show "recent comments from this category," as that would just be a module that shows recent threads from this forum. does that make any sense, or is there a better way to do this?
So are you wanting a new thread to be created on your forums for every image that is uploaded? If so, that shouldn't be too hard. Just a simple query added under the one that inserts the image. Comments on images are stored in a separate table called 'adv_gallery_posts', so it would take just a little extra work to get comments made in the gallery and in the forums.

Quote:
for 3) what I mean is this : when a user registers, for example, he/she chooses his/her profession such as "doctors, programmers, etc" and after they log in there can be a link to the "doctors home page" which is the doctor category, with the doctor forum, and the doctor recent picture, as well as the doctor recent comments new users etc?
That probably wouldn't be too hard... Just add a column to the 'adv_gallery_categories' table to determine which profile filed the category should be associated with, then a query in your register.php file to grab that category based on what they select.

Quote:
perhaps this is too complex and there is an easier way to do this. I do not want to make seperate vb3/vba/vbag installations, because I also want a "general home page" which shows all recent pictures, recent comments etc.

I am familiar with php, I need to sit down and learn how vbag and vb works the database. I just want an expert opinion, if this can be done through the existing framework, is everything object oriented and accessible, For photopost, I would have to do it almost entirely seperately, because it is so hard to integrate anything, not to mention it is close to impossible to change the layout without completely rewriting sections of the code. When they make a security fix, I have to re-re-write everything...

If someone thinks it should'nt be too hard, a simple "buy gallery and you won't be disappointed" would suffice.
If you're familiar with vB and the way they do things, then I honestly don't think you would have a problem. If you haven't already, you may want to download our CMPS from here so you can get a general idea of vBa coding style as well.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 10:42 PM   #5
Brinnie
Verified Customer

Quote:
for 2) and 4) what I really mean is this : Each "category" should have its own forum, and each picture should have its own thread...

You mean, like THIS:
http://icons.deviantart.com/emoticons/
Brinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 03:54 AM   #6
sircambridge

thanks guys, I think I am convinced I can do what I want with vbag and will be making the purchase soon. All the things I mentioned were possible with photopost, but would have taken forever to mod, it wouldve been too complex. I will sit down and learn how vbag and vba works with vb.

Quote:
Quote:
for 2) and 4) what I really mean is this : Each "category" should have its own forum, and each picture should have its own thread...

You mean, like THIS:
http://icons.deviantart.com/emoticons/
yes , EXACTLY. does deviant art use vbag? if thats true I am completely SOLD. lemme get my credit card.
Old July 25th, 2005, 10:19 AM   #7
Brian

Quote:
yes , EXACTLY. does deviant art use vbag? if thats true I am completely SOLD. lemme get my credit card.
As far as I'm aware it's a custom script. Definitely not vBa Gallery though.
Old July 25th, 2005, 08:17 PM   #8
Brinnie
Verified Customer

Quote:
thanks guys, I think I am convinced I can do what I want with vbag and will be making the purchase soon. All the things I mentioned were possible with photopost, but would have taken forever to mod, it wouldve been too complex. I will sit down and learn how vbag and vba works with vb.

The source code for deviantART is untouchable...
Many have fallen in attemp to get it.
Brinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 01:23 AM   #9
sircambridge

thats fine, its good enough to know it is close to possible.
Old July 26th, 2005, 10:17 AM   #10
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinnie
The source code for deviantART is untouchable...
Many have fallen in attemp to get it.
Not hardly... That really wouldn't be hard to duplicate at all.
Old August 1st, 2005, 03:35 AM   #11
sircambridge

Quote:
From what I understand, our concept of a "Members' Gallery" is a little different from PP's. Their Members' Gallery is simply a list of all users who have uploaded images to the gallery. In vBa Gallery, you can assign any category to act as a members' category. Then any images that are uploaded to that category will automatically be placed in a "sub-category" (which I put in quotes since a category is not actually created, it just appears as one is on the user side). You can also set any category you would like to allow your members to create their own sub-categories. Any sub-categories created within a category that has been set to act as a members' gallery will also be placed under the "sub-category" that is named after that user. For a better example of this, take a look at the "Members' Category" category in the [ur=http://www.vbadvanced.com/gallery/]demo[/url].
this is the one last thing that I have been thinking about before I make the switch. Actually, since photopost 5, they have a thing called "members albums" these are categories that have no parent category , they fit into the category structure nowhere at all. The only place they show up is in the members gallery.

so to the user this is what happens

members gallery(shows a list of members, with thumbnails) > Gene (shows a list of Gene's albums, also thumbnailed, and a list of gene's pictures that are in the actual category structure)> Album1 (one of gene's albums) > pictures in this album

and the user can "associate" his/her album to a physical category, so when a user browses to a category, the "associated" albums show up (kind of like virtual folders)

since all my users photos are already organized in this manner. I am trying to figure out how to replicate it with Vbag's existing structure.

as for the "associating with real categories," that might be complicated but its okay to throw that out.

Specifically, I want this functionality :

each member has his/her own gallery "my gallery," and inside the gallery, they can create new albums, and put pictures into the albums.

so if I were to import the database, I would have to : create a members gallery, create sub-categories for each member, and create sub-sub categories for every 'album' they have?

I want to completely throw out the conventional category structure. and replace it with a structure based on members. does that make sense?

kind of like how deviant art, each user has his/her own gallery , but also with sub albums for each user

i guess its hard for me to figure out how vbag is doing this internally without seeing the database structure and code.
Old August 1st, 2005, 10:57 AM   #12
Brian

You can set any category you would like to allow your users to create sub-categories under. If the category is also marked as a "Members' Category" then any sub-categories will be added under that user's name. To get a little bit of a better idea of how that works, I would suggest playing around on the demo to add some categories and such. The "User Sub-Categories" category there is just a regular category and set up to allow users to create sub-categories. Then the "Members' Category" there is marked as a Members' Category and set to allow members to create sub-categories.
Old September 16th, 2005, 01:10 AM   #13
imported_attroll
Verified Customer

Brian

I noticed something else that Photopost does that your gallery does not do. I would like to see this incorperated if possible. I find it very useful for uploading multiple photos.

What PP does is it lets you upload the photos without picking a catergory. Then once they are uploaded it shows you all the thumbnails and from there you can type the descriptions and pick a category for each photo. and then clcik submit.

From playing with your demo I can see it can not be done this way. I tried it with your demo and if I want to uploaded multiple photos they all have to go into the same cateogry unless I upload them one at a time. Am I missing something here or over look something?
imported_attroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 09:25 AM   #14
KW802
Verified Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by attroll
From playing with your demo I can see it can not be done this way. I tried it with your demo and if I want to uploaded multiple photos they all have to go into the same cateogry unless I upload them one at a time. Am I missing something here or over look something?
You only have to pick an initial category which then acts as a default. After you've uploaded your multiple images you're then presented with each image's thumbnail where you can change the images's title, change the category, description, keywords, any optional custom fields, add to your favorites, and receive email updates.
KW802 is offline   Reply With Quote