PhotoPost Photo Gallery Sales PhotoPost Sales Toll Free Phone Number
Mon-Fri 9am-4pm EST
  PhotoPost Photo Sharing Photo Gallery    Visualize community tm
| | | | | | | | |

Go Back   PhotoPost Community > General Forums > General Discussion

General Discussion General use discussion forum for PhotoPost products.

Old September 21st, 2004, 03:18 PM   #1
cascadeclimbers
Verified Customer

Image size problems

Hi,

I've been using PhotoPost for quite a while now. Recently I noticed that pictures were being posted that were larger, in some cases much larger, then the limits that I had applied. Looking over my settings it appeared that somehow things got changed, possibly by me or another admin without us realizing it. Anyways, problem is now I have a bunch of huge images on my server, some larger than 2 megs (yes my users aren't good about reducing their images).

My question is, is there a way in photopost than I don't know about yet, that I can go through and resize those images that are too large. I'm sure I could figure out a way to do this in imagemagik but I'm wondering how much havoc it would create on photopost.
cascadeclimbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2004, 04:29 PM   #2
mjm
Ultimate Member
Verified Customer

Hi, you should be able to go to
edit photo >
Select new image or leave blank to use current one
mjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2004, 04:52 PM   #3
cascadeclimbers
Verified Customer

Maybe I'm not being clear enough. I am running a photopost board. I have a bunch of files, I'm talking 100s maybe 1000s, that are too large, and I'm wondering what the possibility is of doing a batch job that will make them below the constraints that I have set for the software.
Old September 21st, 2004, 04:59 PM   #4
mjm
Ultimate Member
Verified Customer

gulp... ya got a lot of editing ahead of you!
Hope you find a solution!
Mark
mjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2004, 08:28 PM   #5
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

You can rebuild thumbnails and mediums right in the admin utilities scan database section

Otherwise if your talking about large photos when you change constraint sizes etc yes you need to edit each one separately

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2004, 12:41 AM   #6
cascadeclimbers
Verified Customer

Chuck,

Wouldn't I be able to write a script that checks the size of the file, and if it is larger than a set variable I can have imagemagik resize it? I guess my question is, if I went that route, what consequences would it have on PhotoPost, would I need to rebuild everything?

TIA, jon
Old October 20th, 2004, 01:59 AM   #7
cascadeclimbers
Verified Customer

Hi,

Well I figured out what was causing my problem with the photos being larger than the what I had specified in my config file. Aparently the height and width constraints override the max file size, so even though the max file size set was 300kb it was allowing anything that had ~2000 x ~1000. Why I had it set like that... I don't know... I just assumed that it wouldn't allow anything over 300kb.

Ok... so... I really want to edit these files down, and there is almost 7000. I know I can run this as a batch process and I'm pretty sure that it won't screw up photopost as long as I rebuild the database. So my question is this... in imagemagick what is the command that is used to resize the large image down to 300kb. I have been looking around all over the web on how do to this and haven't found anything to obvious yet. I am just looking for the single picture command, I can figure out the batch stuff myself.

Thanks, Jon
Old October 20th, 2004, 09:12 AM   #8
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

There is no such command

Imagemagick resizes by image dimenstions not filesize. In fact there is no telling how big or small a file is going to be when you place max dimensions. It depends on the prior compression and your image dimension max's

Please do not PM me for support or sales questions. Thank you for your understanding.
Old October 20th, 2004, 12:11 PM   #9
cascadeclimbers
Verified Customer

Ok, so when I have the contraint set in PhotoPost how does imagemagick convert the image below the constraing?
Old October 20th, 2004, 12:31 PM   #10
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

The constraints are by maximum image width or height and medium height and width

filesize usergroup constraints are global and affect the uploading process and interrupt it if the file is too big. Imagemagick never touches the image

Old October 20th, 2004, 01:42 PM   #11
cascadeclimbers
Verified Customer

Thats not true. If I don't put anything in the image width height constraints and I say maximum upload size is 300kb and I try to upload something that is larger, it decreases the image size down to 300kb. I'm positive that is how it works because I fooled around with this for hours last night.
Old October 20th, 2004, 04:55 PM   #12
Chuck S
Photopost Developer
Verified Customer

Incorrect.

Diskspace and Filesize settings take place before ImageMagick touches the file.

ImageMagick works by resizing an image based on the height and width settings you place in the admin options.

If you look at lines 400-443 of image-inc.php you will see what I say is true

Old March 9th, 2005, 10:19 PM   #13
gtsai
Verified Customer

i know its been 5 months since this discussion. but I have somewhat of a solution. I used ws_ftp, opened up the entire data directory and sorted all the photos by size, then simply downloaded the ones above a certain size(keeping all folder structures), used a program to resample them, and then uploaded them. it might be troublesome, but it should be a one-time thing.
gtsai is offline   Reply With Quote