PhotoPost Community

PhotoPost Community (http://www.photopost.com/forum/index.php)
-   Before You Buy (http://www.photopost.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Frustrated albinator user checking in (http://www.photopost.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84851)

copland007 October 17th, 2003 12:27 PM

Frustrated albinator user checking in

So I recently purchased albinator and have had lots of troubles. So here I am scoping out the competition to see if you guys can stack up against them :D

Here are the major obstacles that if PhotoPost can solve I will switch from Albinator pretty quickly!

1) Apostrophes!!!!! I have had problem after problem with usernames that have apostrophes, album names, pictures, and category names... the list goes on. This is by far the most frustrating item. Currently none of my users with apostrophes can login to the gallery. So has anybody had problems with apostrophes with PhotoPost when magic_quotes_gpc is off or on?

2) Restricting upload permission per usergroup per category. I would like to be able to say usergroup bob is the only one that can upload to category smith, and everybody else can just browse. Albinator cannot do this.

3) Sub-albums. Albinator cannot do this.

4) A clean organized solution to a gallery with 12,000+ images. When I mean clean I would like to have a 'Members' category, then each user have a sub-category, and inside their sub-category they can create as many sub-albums within sub-albums, nested as far down as they want. Albinator cannot do this.

5) Seamless integration with InvisionBoard 1.2, and soon to be 1.3. Albinator's user integration is flaky, it does not use the existing ibf_members table, it duplicates records into its own table. I would prefer a non-duplicate user member base maintained by one application, not two. And in the near future the ability to tie into Invision Converge (the central user membership application). Along with this integration I would like to see a very smooth tight fit forum feel. Albinator's comment system for the images is very plain and does not resemble the integrated forums at all.

6) Self maintained end-user paypal driven membership upgrades. Albinator does do this quite well and I would want this from PhotoPost as well. Meaning the end user with no interaction from me can select a membership to subscribe to that will offer more features like space, have the system deal with a paypal IPN gateway and handle the processing of the payment, the upgrade to the account features, and the maintenance involved with re-occurring payments, missed payments, stopped payments, etc.

7) Scalability. From what I've seen this is not a problem for PhotoPost.

8) 'Offline' mode. Be able to turn off the gallery during maintenance to prevent user interaction that would alter the database.

9) The ability to set the cut-off resolution size for a viewable image before a full-size version is created, AND a resolution cut-off size for the full-size image on the fly. Meaning, an end user can take their 4-mega-pixel image, upload it and the system will automatically create a browsing safe size (800x600), and then create a server space safe full size (1280x1024). Albinator cannot do this, it can only change the cut-off size for the full size image, it cannot control the cut-off size for the full-size image.

10) Easy method to import from existing 12,000+ menalto gallery is a must. Albinator can not do this.

Sorry for the long questions, but I want to make sure PhotoPost can do exactly what I want before I consider switching.

Thank you for your time!

-Copland007

Smoothie October 18th, 2003 01:07 PM

#5 and #8. yes, and yes.

copland007 October 20th, 2003 03:41 PM

Those the only 2 :(

I guess I'll have to stick it out with Albinator if PhotoPost can't even stand up next to them in features :(

Smoothie October 20th, 2003 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by copland007
Those the only 2 :(

I guess I'll have to stick it out with Albinator if PhotoPost can't even stand up next to them in features :(

Hey bro, I don't work here, just trying to answer what I know. take it or leave it.

copland007 October 21st, 2003 12:57 AM

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you shared what you know.

I was hoping someone in charge would reply, I'll keep holding out.

-copland007

HobbyTalk October 21st, 2003 08:03 AM

1) Apostrophes in names seem to not cause a problem. I have heard there may be some problems with them in catagory titles, but the problem is known and being worked on... once they figure out exactly is causing them. (I have magic_quotes on).

2) Yes

3) Yes

4) You can give users the premission to setup their own catagories within the member's Album. I believe they can setup sub-catagories but I don't use that feature so don't know for sure.

5) Can integrate with InvisionBoard. I use vB so not sure how the intergation is handled.

6) No. There is no stand alone system. I use the PayPal feature of vB and PP can use that system for granting special features.

7) Yes and no. It handles large amount of pictures fairly well since they are stored as files and not in the database. Only drawback is at this time all of a members photos are stored in their own directory. If someone has 5000 photos, that can create 15000 files in their directory (thumbnail, midsize, fullsize) which could affect server performance.

8) Yes

9) Yes

10) Not really. You can bulk ftp the photos to your web server and then process them all at once but you'd have to edit each one if you want different discriptions on each one.

Michael P October 21st, 2003 08:23 AM

1) Not a problem. A couple users had magic quotes which required an extra line of code (which was added).

2) Yes, usergroups are assigned permissions on a per category basis (as well as other options).

3) Photopost can handle unlimited number of subalbums within subalbums.

4) Users can create their own subalbums within their members galleries, but not subalbums of subalbums.

5) All integrations are done at the member table level - meaning we do not maintain our own member table, we access the forum tables directly.

6) We don't have PayPal integration (yet) as it has not been an option in big demand. I did document a hack for this and published it in the Hacks area, but not many people were interested in it. I use PhotoPost/PayPal to add more levels of disk space automatically on several of my sites.

7) Not a problem at all. We have some HUGE sites.

8) Yes.

9) Yes, you can specify a browser safe medium image AND you can resize the original down to an acceptable level.

10) Using the bulkupload feature you could do entire categories at a time.

I hope this helps. PayPal is an easy integration and the documented hack should suffice in being able to what you want it to do, but its not part of the official script at this time. If you are comfortable with a little coding work, you shouldnt have any problems.

PhotoPost has many advantages over Albinator. PhotoPost has been around much longer and has a much larger installed userbase - not to mention innovated many of the features you see in gallery software today.

copland007 October 21st, 2003 04:14 PM

Thanx for the replies guys! Good info.

Michael P October 28th, 2003 07:59 AM

You're welcome.

copland007 October 4th, 2004 01:08 AM

So here I am almost a year to date looking around again. Albinator has dried up, and I'm again looking at photopost.

A few new questions/needs...

1) Upgrade path from Albinator to photopost? If this currently does not exist is there a timeframe? I went through a manual upgrade from menalto -> albinator with 12,000+ items and that was horrid. Now my gallery is around 67,000+ items under the hood and I can not upgrade that by hand.

2) IPB 2.0 integration? And through this integration can the subscription manager be used to manage fee-based upgrades for users in the gallery?

Michael P October 4th, 2004 10:15 AM

1) We have discussed an importer, but I'll defer to Chuck (omegatron) for this one. Chuck is always available for paid upgrades/integrations.
2) IPB 2.0 integration is supported and the subscription manager can be used to provide paid access to different levels of membership.

copland007 October 9th, 2004 12:06 PM

Any word from Chuck? If there is an upgrade path available I'd probably be interested in switching :)

Chuck S October 9th, 2004 12:46 PM

I am looking into it as Michael meantioned something but nowhere near finished. Right now its in the very preliminary stages.

You can email me at chuck@photopost for any cost estimates etc.

letmein October 15th, 2004 12:02 AM

With regard to Feature # 6. I need a system that allow users to select type of memberships. The membership is based on disk space and price. This feature need to integrate with some third party payment system such as Paypal to automatically charge users. Also, in the user profile, there should be a link to allow user to upgrade their membership to meet their need. PLease let me know if this is possible and if I order this system this month, when will this feature be available. Else i might have to go ahead with albinator.

#2: Also when user upload photo, can administrator adds additional input fields other than Title, Description and Keywords. I would like to add additional fields to include URL, contact, phone, address and others.

thanks,

khoa

copland007 October 15th, 2004 09:49 AM

khoa,

albinator is no longer forsale and their support has vaporized, I would highly suggest staying away. Just FYI ;)

Chuck S October 15th, 2004 11:36 AM

I saw that when I downloaded my test copy I bought so that I could write an importer from albinator to Photopost.

At least there members area is still intact to get downloads etc. As far as not being for sale there is something surely going on there.

iancase September 12th, 2006 11:40 AM

Michael P wrote:

"I use PhotoPost/PayPal to add more levels of disk space automatically on several of my sites."

Can Michael (or anyone) direct me to where this hack is available. I'd like to charge for disc usage too. I don't have Photopost installed yet, but am intending to purchase providing I can charge for services.

Chuck S September 12th, 2006 12:05 PM

If you integrate with vbulletin or invisionboard you can use there subscription services.

Sybaris September 12th, 2006 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iancase (Post 1171509)
Michael P wrote:

"I use PhotoPost/PayPal to add more levels of disk space automatically on several of my sites."

Can Michael (or anyone) direct me to where this hack is available. I'd like to charge for disc usage too. I don't have Photopost installed yet, but am intending to purchase providing I can charge for services.

That post was made 3 years ago and so i would highly doubt the hack would work with the current version of photopost pro :)

iancase September 12th, 2006 12:53 PM

Three years ago !!- I did see that, but this did seem to be the most relevant thread to ask the question.... ( couldn't find much else about payment integration )

I'm not familiar with vbulletin or invisionboard, but I'll have a look into them, thanks for your suggestion.

Any other suggestions would still be welcome.

Thanks.