Omegatron, thanks for looking into it.
I stumbled upon a big clue last night... not sure why I didn't notice this before.
1) The pictures were
in fact being uploaded as they were appearing in the /uploads directory, so that ruled out an upload issue and decided to focus on other things.
2) I went to edit a photo thumbnail for a video, and when I clicked "submit" to replace the thumb... I got the same blank screen.... hmmm.....
I decided to play the hunch that this was a thumbnail related issue of sorts... I wasn't sure how to independently test GD2... so I flipped back to imagemagick, and entered the correct
path to mogrify...
Then... POOF... everything works fine again. Granted, we were using GD2 before, never used Imagemagick... but the problem is now fixed. I will look into the GD2 thing at a later date, the galleries are working GREAT and I don't want to monkey with anything.
Thanks for all the assistance and keep up the good work!