I'd like to see a LOT of changes:
1. Let's create a new template that puts all the cats in a left hand column and puts ads in the center column. There's no need for the cats to be the center column. Also, with the cat index moved it can remain on the page and people don't have to go back "home" to view a different category.
2. Save all old ads... don't delete them. Change their status from active to completed. Save them and let folks search them. "completed" ads just wouldn't show normally. Plus, when sales go bad people want to be able to refer back to the original ad. Deleting them all like you do now is wrong headed.
3. Really integrate with VB
. Create Products to upload to vB
that put ads in the User Profile and in the Postbit, too.
4. Do away with the PP Classifieds User Profile. It's not needed. Put ads and Feedback into vB
's User Profile.
5. Use HighSlide to create image slide shows within ads. Create a rotating slide show (300 by 300 approx like a YouTube Vid) of all Classified images that can be placed in VBA or in a side column on Classifieds.
6. Make Feedback available all the time, not just when the user has an ad running (again, do this in VB
's Profile of the user)
7. Give us the option of setting the number of posts a user must have before he can place an ad -- sure we could do that with a whole new usergroup, but why?
8. Put Advertising hooks throughout the templates like vB
does. So we can show Adsense between ads or after every 5th ad, etc. Make sure that we have all the flexibility of setting them to show to specific user groups. Or, here's an idea, just put the hooks in and let others create a mod to handle the ads just like vB
does with a mod at vB
9. Go through the entire Classifieds Admin and remove all the places that you call the program PhotoPost. That's just lazy leaving all those there after all these years. Where you ask? Check out the Integration (CONFIG-INT.PHP Integration Variables) page.
10. Lots more Ad Type Templates PRE MADE and an easier system than using 3 templates for each ad type. Consolidate those into one template so that changes to "upload product" also are reflected in Showproduct and Editproduct, too.
I belong to a number of websites that are collections of Forum Admins. We talk all the time about what a shame it is the PP Classifieds is so bad. It could be good. But for some reason you all don't seem to want to invest enough into it to make it a decent application. I have no idea why you'd get it all this way and then basically sit on it with few improvements and a user base that in general is dissatisfied.
Look, Photopost has been your cash cow. But there is a big market for a VB
Classifieds and you guys aren't filling it. Go to any Forum Admin forum and ask about Classifieds and you'll see people talking about how there aren't any good ones and they specifically say PP Classifieds is "lame."
Someday soon, someone will invest the time to make a really good classifieds for use with VB
and you'll be out of another product (like you will when VB
's Photo Album feature keeps getting developed by Jelsoft and modders and PP and Gallery are made redundent.)
I'm trying to be helpful here. I hope you can appreciate this attempt.