PDA

View Full Version : Enhanced Xenforo integration

thomas1
February 28th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Hi Chuck,

given the latest news in the iB vs. Xenforo case I was wondering if there are any plans to offer enhanced PP, RP and PPClassifieds integration for Xenforo as well.

We have been using vBulletin since 2002 and PP, etc. for almost the same period of time, but looking at how things are evolving around vB5 we are quite determined to switch to XF, and I am sure we're not the only forum heading that way. Needless to say, we want to continue using PP.

In the light of these developments, I was hoping you consider diversifying and expanding your solutions for enhanced forum integration. It might be a wise business decision, too. ;)

Chuck S
February 28th, 2013, 08:56 PM
I am not sure what news your talking about.

At any rate when I wrote xenforo integration it is because someone gave me a copy to play with. I know at the time and if things are still the same I see no real easy way to call the header and footer of xenforo like vb does.

basically in vb you call a global file and you can then define the header and footer it really is that simple.

You will not find enhanced integration with any forum unless that can be done. So really is there that ability in xenforo as a product? You tell me I do not run that forum.

thomas1
February 28th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Thanks for your reply, Chuck.

I am referring to the case being dismissed and XF development being resumed. While we are quite happy with vB4.2, vB5 is light years away from offering a viable forum solution to webmasters. I am sad to say that forum participation and activity on vB-related fora (vB itself, but also here and on vBSEO for instance) has sharply decreased, probably reflecting a trend. Hence my question.

We will experiment with the integration in the weeks to come. If you need access to a DB I shall be glad to help.

Chuck S
February 28th, 2013, 09:19 PM
well I just got done working with vb5 we support enhanced integration with that product as well just like every other vbulletin.

If you have a xenforo copy installed with photopost I can take a look if you send all the accesses needed. Like stated any other forums have the ability to include a global file and call the header or footer from some variable then loading a forum header footer is easy unforunately I have not seen any products like that.

thomas1
February 28th, 2013, 09:23 PM
I appreciate it. I'll set things up and contact you once it is done.

Thanks again.

Chuck S
February 28th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Not a problem. ;)

Chuck S
March 2nd, 2013, 03:23 PM
You can ask at xenforo also if they have such ability in there product to wrap there page header around say a custom PHP page your making using such a process as including a global file and some definable variable for header footer. That should tell you real quick if its possible.

Chuck S
March 3rd, 2013, 07:13 PM
Let me know asap so if there is a way to do it we can add any changes into our latest betas before I close them out. I have not seen anything info yet on this.

Chuck S
March 5th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Any update on this as its been a week and I have not heard anything. I have another user who was asking about this too maybe I will see if he has an active site up. I also asked hm the same to ask xenforo if there script had the ability to include some global file and print there header and footer.

thomas1
March 6th, 2013, 03:52 AM
It's just been five days, and I haven't had time yet to set up my test site. I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks for your efforts, Chuck, I hope there's a growing market. :)

Chuck S
March 6th, 2013, 08:53 AM
I will ask the other guy trying to see about this before I release the final products. ;)

jörgk
March 7th, 2013, 03:25 PM
hello, i hope you find a way for a complete solution.

i have switched all my boards from vb to xenforo. if i see, that your solution works, then i buy 7 gallerys here.

sorry for my badd english.

Chuck S
March 7th, 2013, 04:15 PM
We support any of our integrations as we note on our site. If things are possible to enhance something we can as time permits if not then we can not. We currrently support xenforo as noted user login and css integration.

Chuck S
March 21st, 2013, 02:26 PM
A community photo gallery - Omegatron Gallery (http://www.omegatron.net/gallery/index.php)

Full Enhanced Integration with Xenforo will be released in the new couple of days.

Chuck S
March 22nd, 2013, 02:50 PM
Now that I have the gallery done its time to write it up for Classifieds ;)

0ptima
March 26th, 2013, 09:50 PM
A community photo gallery - Omegatron Gallery (http://www.omegatron.net/gallery/index.php)

Full Enhanced Integration with Xenforo will be released in the new couple of days.

This looks good! You should sell this at xenforo.com directly as they accept paid addons.

Resources | XenForo Community (http://xenforo.com/community/resources)

Chuck S
March 26th, 2013, 09:56 PM
There is nothing to sell here it is a feature of our software just like we integrate with vbulletin. It is a selling point for us and both xenforo to integrate. ;)

Let's face it vb5 is gonna be a big flop I wrote up that integration as well and I can tell you I definately will not be using vb5 ever.

I think your going to see huge flock of customers leaving vbulletin forums soon as vb5 becomes final.

I am just preparing for such a thing because a huge portion of our community uses vbulletin I am making darn sure they have an alternative should they decide to switch forums.

0ptima
March 26th, 2013, 10:17 PM
I still think it would be a good idea to sell photopost as a XenForo addon from XenForo.com as it will get you a lot of exposure (There are 81 logged in members as I type this). You could probably also have it setup so all support would be done as normal on the photopost site.

Might also be a good idea to convert these forums to Xenforo eventually and email all your customers about this new integration.

thomas1
March 26th, 2013, 10:19 PM
Let's face it vb5 is gonna be a big flop I wrote up that integration as well and I can tell you I definately will not be using vb5 ever. I think your going to see huge flock of customers leaving vbulletin forums soon as vb5 becomes final.

Which is exactly why I started this thread over three weeks ago. We'll be moving our fora from vB to XF, but want to keep PP, RP and PP Classifieds. Thanks to Chuck's efforts this has become a viable option now. :)

Chuck S
March 26th, 2013, 10:56 PM
Optima

Photopost is not a mod or hack. It is a full featured application much like the forums your talking about. I can not list it in the xenforo mods area as it is not really a xenforo mod.

As far as xenforo and photopost we are both sure to be announcing this new integration and capitalize on it.

0ptima
March 30th, 2013, 10:15 PM
Optima

Photopost is not a mod or hack. It is a full featured application much like the forums your talking about. I can not list it in the xenforo mods area as it is not really a xenforo mod.

As far as xenforo and photopost we are both sure to be announcing this new integration and capitalize on it.

Understood. It would also be a good idea to add more content to the demo (categories and pictures).

Chuck S
March 30th, 2013, 11:23 PM
The link I posted to was a test site. It is not a demo really. The content on that server changes all the time. I beleive that url your commenting on may have been a test setup months ago showing the 8.3 beta.

The PhotoPost Demo is here

A community photo gallery - PhotoPost Photo Gallery (http://www.photopost.com/photopost)

0ptima
March 31st, 2013, 12:02 AM
The link I posted to was a test site. It is not a demo really. The content on that server changes all the time. I beleive that url your commenting on may have been a test setup months ago showing the 8.3 beta.

The PhotoPost Demo is here

A community photo gallery - PhotoPost Photo Gallery (http://www.photopost.com/photopost)

Would be nice to see a live Xenforo and Photopost integration with sufficient content.

Chuck S
March 31st, 2013, 12:08 AM
Sufficient is a relative term only only attainable to your ideals.

The test I posted shows what it is suppose to show which is the header footer navigation of xenforo around our application.

You will have to wait for a user who actually runs xenforo and the gallery together with alot of content to post a url if they choose to.

0ptima
March 31st, 2013, 12:27 AM
Sufficient is a relative term only only attainable to your ideals.

The test I posted shows what it is suppose to show which is the header footer navigation of xenforo around our application.

Im not asking for the moon. ~5 categories and ~30 pics would be sufficient. This would give one a better idea on the the look and feel.

You will have to wait for a user who actually runs xenforo and the gallery together with alot of content to post a url if they choose to.

Why???? This makes no sense at all. Are you expecting people to imagine what it looks like?

Dont know if you are aware, Xenforo licensees have been asking for a gallery for a long time and no one has yet to deliver. Once they find out about this XF + PP enhanced integration, they will want to see it in action. Instead, they come here and see a VB3 integration.

Do you think they are going to hunt down an XF integration? Doubt it.

Chuck S
March 31st, 2013, 08:39 AM
Optima we support 25 different forums and have supported xenforo since it was an early beta years ago before they even released a final gold version. Nothing has changed here we support things as we always have except now we can load the xenforo header footer automatically thats it.

My example that I posted is just that an example it is not some demo. It is a link to one of my personal sites. You asked for the demo then I am going to show you the photopost on this site and it is vb3 because that is the forum the owner of photopost chooses to use that for a support forum.

Once we do some type of official announcement I will most likely ask the few sites I know of if they want to be linked and get permission to post there site links in an announcement.

That is about the most I can do for you.

I am still developing the new integration with xenforo with our last product ReviewPost.

0ptima
March 31st, 2013, 11:16 AM
Once we do some type of official announcement I will most likely ask the few sites I know of if they want to be linked and get permission to post there site links in an announcement.

That sounds more like it. :)

Chuck S
March 31st, 2013, 12:39 PM
Yeah we are not at that stage yet. ;)

This thread was started before we even supported header footer integration in xenforo like we do in vb.

My test link is just that a test link to show the progression of the work. I know of one customer who I worked with who has like 30000 photos in his xenforo photopost setup. Two different sites are in german so users will have to take that with a grain of salt. Remember we do not require users to list what they integrate with so we are limited to what we can tell list and I am not going to list anyone's url without there permission.

Once I get Reviewpost out the door and a few more people test things out I will do an official announcement on our site. That will most likely be in a week or two to give enough of you to test things out and find any issues that need to be addressed.

Coming in the future obviously as I need time to learn the xenforo plugin system I will probally also expand the plugin xml from just right now supporting the navigation to also showing a photo block on the forum as well as adding our profile stuff to the xenforo profile. Providing of course there are the proper hooks. The documentation over at xenforo on the plugins is a bit light shall we see what I can come up with in time. I will most likely release that stuff as mods to begin with in time and as things mature include them into the core product just like I did with my vb4 mods I did that became standard in PP8 series.

optrex
March 31st, 2013, 04:24 PM
That sounds more like it. :)

still tweaking the layout, so its likely to change over the next few days
MetServ Photo Gallery - MetServ Photo Gallery (http://www.metserv.info/gallery/)

0ptima
March 31st, 2013, 08:53 PM
Chuck, tried to send you a PM but I cant. There is spammer on test site :(
Main Forum | Omegatron Forums (http://www.omegatron.net/xenforo/index.php?forums/main-forum.2/)

0ptima
March 31st, 2013, 08:59 PM
still tweaking the layout, so its likely to change over the next few days
MetServ Photo Gallery - MetServ Photo Gallery (http://www.metserv.info/gallery/)

Very nice! Is that your own custom style or is it available for download?

Chuck S
March 31st, 2013, 09:35 PM
anybody want to tell me where the xenforo spam stuff is. It is a pain to have to delete spam 20 posts at a time. LOL

Darn spammers go lay some flooring in my house for the day and come back to spam.

Chuck S
April 12th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Just an update for you all.

I have been able to expand upon the xml plugins for xenforo.

Now there is an option panel for all photopost settings needed in xenforo which also now includes whether or not to show a block of photos on the forum home. You can set how many to show turn the block on or off as well where to show and what type of photos to show.

A community photo gallery - My Photo Gallery (http://www.omegatron.net/gallery)

I will release that soon just going to go investigate if I can figure out how to add profile stuff to the xenforo profile page.

fairwea1
April 13th, 2013, 08:34 AM
anybody want to tell me where the xenforo spam stuff is. It is a pain to have to delete spam 20 posts at a time. LOL

Darn spammers go lay some flooring in my house for the day and come back to spam.

I believe most people are using mods to take care of spam.

TAC(Tenants Anti-Spam Collection) - Anti-Spam (Free Version) | XenForo Community (http://xenforo.com/community/resources/tac-tenants-anti-spam-collection-anti-spam-free-version.1474/)

Chuck S
April 13th, 2013, 09:49 AM
yeah I am sure. Since the site in question was a test site I am purely using to test integration with our products I simply turned off posting to registered users in the forums. ;)

That takes care of it as well.

Chuck S
April 15th, 2013, 01:00 PM
029 - My Photo Gallery (http://www.omegatron.net/gallery/a-category/p10-029.html)

Click on the username and see the profile links all go to the forum and our gallery info displays in a tab like vb4 so I have completed all plugins for xenforo.

Chuck S
July 15th, 2013, 08:10 PM
I am working on an html5 xenforo template set currently and will announce when I finish.

http://www.photopost.com/forum/general-discussion/149666-photopost-8-4-a.html

Chuck S
July 18th, 2013, 12:30 AM
8.4 should be out tomorow with html5 compliant template set which uses a mix of xenforo and pp styling.

My Photo Gallery | Omegatron.net (http://www.omegatron.net/gallery)

Next step will be a complete xenforo styled tableless template set but before I can do that I would need to see how the xenforo styling panes out in that new forum.

Chuck S
July 20th, 2013, 09:07 AM
http://www.photopost.com/forum/photopost-announcements/149674-photopost-pro-8-4-released-7-18-2013-a.html

dakis
July 29th, 2013, 06:01 AM
I have a problem with the user integration with my xenforo, when you move from the forum to gallery, it still shows you as logged in, but when you try to do something, like upload a photo, it's asking for your credentials again. After you input them, it returns to the gallery index page, and you have to try to do the function again - some times it works, some times it's asking again and again for credentials.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Chuck S
July 29th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Have you properly entered the xenforo global salt in your photopost config?

Have you properly set cookies in both applications to match.

My bet is you have not entered your global salt most people forget that one.

dakis
July 29th, 2013, 09:45 AM
what's a "global salt"? I don't see any such field anywhere inside my photopost config.

Unless it's within a php file?

Chuck S
July 29th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Your telling me you do not see the huge section under your photopost config in admin that is highlighted YELLOW ;)

Xenforo Globalsalt required for xenforo integration (if using Xenforo integration, you must enter your globalsalt number here).

You can find this number in your xenforo librarynForo\Application.php file. Around line 473 line in the file looks like: 'globalsalt' => '########################', It is the ######################## number you need to place here.

This is something asked for on install when you integrate the two products it is a required thing for proper authentication same as vbulletin has there license number. The globalSalt is part of the xenforo cookie.

Chuck S
August 6th, 2013, 10:14 AM
FYI......... All Applications have been updated to HTML 5 compliant templating as well as an admin xenforo style match panel to help support custom xenforo styles which may stray from the supported xenforo release style class names. ;)

senton1
August 13th, 2013, 03:33 AM
I've got a issue with the consumer integration with my xenforo, after you move on the forum to gallery, it still teaches you as logged in, however when you try to take a step, like upload a photo, it's trying for your credentials again. When you finally input them, it returns towards gallery index page, and you've to do the function again - some times it really works, some times it's asking time and again for credentials.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Chuck S
August 13th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Please verify yourself and your license so we can check your support status. What site and license is this.

You can send us site info like url admin and ftp logins if you wish us to take a look but my suggestions would be make sure cookies are correctly set per the cookie tutorial in the FAQ forum as well as in your config settings in the gallery admin panel you have entered the correct globalsalt where asked for xenforo.

Chuck S
October 25th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Okay now that we have supported enhanced xenforo integration for 6 months and users have been running it just thought I would get some ideas on enhancing things.

We do support a better integration that vBulletin as we do support full style header footer integration as well as photo blocks profile integration and breadcrumbs.

Just trying to get some ideas on new things we can do.

Chuck S
January 25th, 2014, 07:01 PM
okay I am working with the new Pro 8.5 Beta due to open soon and just thought I would ask this once again since the best integration we support is now Xenforo are there any other integration features you have in mind to make it even better?

ski-whiz
February 16th, 2014, 08:50 PM
I left vBulletin when my vB5 turned my site into an unusable forum. So now I'm on Xenforo, and like you said in this thread, there are FLOCKS of people jumping ship to Xenforo. It's clean, simple, and powerful.

Anyway, I am thinking of renewing, but am scared of pulling the trigger because I can't see the backend. I saw I have to do something with cookies in order to get it to work.

How are permissions set up etc? I know with ALL the integrations you support, it's impossible to have screenshots, but how are usergroups set up? Is there simply a link to the photopost config area?

It might be worth the $39 to test it out again. I just want to get as much info as possible before I renew and try on my Xenforo install.

ski-whiz
February 16th, 2014, 08:52 PM
okay I am working with the new Pro 8.5 Beta due to open soon and just thought I would ask this once again since the best integration we support is now Xenforo are there any other integration features you have in mind to make it even better?

So does this mean it integrates better with Xenforo, vice vB?

Chuck S
February 16th, 2014, 09:02 PM
Well it is a more integrated with Xenforo than vBulletin does not mean its better it is all up to what forum you like. Here is a xenforo test setup

http://www.omegatron.net/gallery

we integrate with xenforo header footer style just like vb and even put stuff into the forum like vb but xenforo has two enhancements over vb one is that the breadcrumbs are used from xenforo in photopost and two any forum stuff that shows on the forum has settings and controls for that within the xenforo admin options you do not need to go to our program to administer that stuff.