PDA

View Full Version : Extra /span tags in templates

tbworld
January 1st, 2013, 09:56 PM
Hi Chuck happy holidays:

In working with photopost I noticed extra ending "/span" tags after a variable in the templating code -- they were obviously put there on purpose. This is probably some sort of IE hack (I am guessing). Anyways, it is not important, but I am curious to know the reason for them. It bugs me that I haven't found the reason searching the web.

<tr>
<td class="blockrow" width="25%">
Change category? (leave blank to leave alone)<!--PHP variable here-->
</span><!-- EXTRA ENDING TAG HERE!!! -->
</td>
</tr>

Chuck S
January 1st, 2013, 10:57 PM
what template are we talking about here? There should not be extra ending tags always a start tag with the paired end tag.

tbworld
January 2nd, 2013, 06:12 PM
what template are we talking about here? There should not be extra ending tags always a start tag with the paired end tag.

As soon as I get a chance I will send a copy of a few templates I commented in. I found the same code sprinkled in adm-misc.php, -- in some of the "heredoc" code and some of the escaped html. That is why I thought it was done for a reason. A single end tag in todays browsers will be ignored as you know ( have no idea about IE6), so no big deal.

I have found one or two missing "/div" tags that are not causing problems as well in v8.23 vb4enhanced. I have only really analyzed around 10 templates. These are small things that are not a real problem. I just found the ending span tag frequency interesting and thought maybe I am missing something in my education. :)

I will send you some examples.

Chuck S
January 2nd, 2013, 06:33 PM
The reason I ask is because if I pull up all our core files in the w3c xhtml validator our code is 100% xhtml and css valid and this was as up to our latest released code so I am pretty sure I got any one way tags in PhotoPost 8 series since we had to redo all the templates.

Now the variable your referring to is in editphoto template and yes that extra span tag can be removed. I already did in our source. Let me know what else you find.

Chuck S
January 4th, 2013, 12:31 PM
I will check the validation again but I assume this is maybe related to a couple files I overlooked at the validator would never see. ;)

No big deal since I am wrapping up a vb5 support so easy enough to spend a few minutes checking for span tags with no beginning.

tbworld
January 4th, 2013, 09:10 PM
I will check the validation again but I assume this is maybe related to a couple files I overlooked at the validator would never see. ;)

No big deal since I am wrapping up a vb5 support so easy enough to spend a few minutes checking for span tags with no beginning.

No one seems to be complaining about it, so move on to better things with your time. :) I had some issues with adm-misc, where it was messing up my JavaScript (in reference to the DOM) that I had to resolve. It is additional support code that I needed for our particular site -- so that isn't your responsibility. Your code out of the box works as intended and there is always problems with code. Depends who views it.

There is a few things that I would like to mention to you about adm-misc, but I would prefer to private message it instead, just in case the information is sensitive or proprietary.

PS: adm-misc took me a bit to get through... whew.

Chuck S
January 4th, 2013, 10:21 PM
adm-misc.php is the main core file that handles most admin tasks. It is a beast. ;)