PDA

View Full Version : vBulletin 5?

craigbru
August 30th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Yeah, I know it may be a bit preemptive, but the vB 5 release is right around the corner. What are the plans for vB Photopost integration? It looks like the default gallery and media options are greatly improved. I'd like to continue using Photopost, but am curious as to the upgrade timeline. This would be the biggest site mod that may hold up any upgrades. Can you give us any insight? It would be appreciated.

Craig

Chuck S
August 31st, 2012, 06:47 AM
I can not say what timeline there would be as currently we still have no access to vbulletin 5 code so we are as much in the dark as everyone else. We could not formulate a plan without beta access and so far we have not been granted that.

Alfa1
September 5th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Its strange that Photopost as one of the major addons is denied access to the beta. As I understand it, all major addon developers have been invited.
Maybe this is related to vb5 coming with image gallery features?

Chuck S
September 5th, 2012, 07:22 PM
There beta access is alot more restrictive than you think. They keep appearances of being nice but they pick and choose. I seriously doubt every vb hack author has access.

vbulletin 5 from what I see will not have a full featured gallery like our product.

I applied to be a tester and even filled out a NDA form and sent back but never got a response. I sent a second email on this issue to the guy running the beta like a week ago but no response.

As always we will support vb5 when we can support it and at what level we can support it. We really can give no response without knowing the coding involved.

Remember with vb4 NO ONE but a handful of people had access till a public beta was released 2 months before it went gold.

We are not going to make any promises on timeframes as everything is an unknown.

The crazy thing is the head of the beta testing site sent me an email to enter my site into a drawing to win a free copy of vb5 and I still have not been granted access to the code so somewhere something is crossed. ;)

Alfa1
September 15th, 2012, 08:42 PM
You can buy a copy of vb5 and get access to the code. This allows you to start development on a vb5 version.

Maybe they see photopost as a competitor now because of the image gallery features? I doubt they will give you access for free.
Everyone received the drawing / raffle email.

As far as I can see vb5 will not have an image gallery as feature full as Photopost and therefore there will be many vb5 webmasters interested in Photopost.
However, the vb5 gallery function is a large leap forward for vb, as it does have categories and a photo viewer that is more modern than Photopost. It could well be the the Gold version looks much better than this low quality 'beta'. Who knows.

Chuck S
September 15th, 2012, 08:48 PM
I will pass that along to the owner of the company if they choose to do that but like I said I have no interest in buying vb5 for my site. ;)

peterr89
October 18th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Are there Bv5?

Chuck S
October 18th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Scott just bought a vb5 license so now I need to setup a test site and work on things.

sonia
December 12th, 2012, 05:13 AM
I will pass that along to the owner of the company if they choose to do that but like I said I have no interest in buying vb5 for my site. ;)

vb5 is great.. I'm also going to buy this for my site too...

Chuck S
December 12th, 2012, 07:21 AM
It is Okay not a game changer for most I think. The Interest in vb5 has been less than expected from what I am seeing.

Kaelon
December 29th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Related to this topic, is there a notable difference in the roadmap for PhotoPost vs. vBGallery?

Chuck S
December 29th, 2012, 10:48 AM
There is no roadmap for vbgallery concerning vbulletin 5 at this time. Honestly we have not had time to even consider that product. It took one and a half years to support vb4 for vbGallery as the product had to be written from the bottom on up for vb4. There is enough things to consider working on trying to best support vb5 with our main product Pro as well as ReviewPost and Classifieds. vBulletin 5 may as I have previously posted here prove the be the end of vbGallery as a product since developing a product tied to every last vbulletin version specific is too costly to develop versus the potential income.

I do not anticipate vBulletin having good reviews or sales on there vbulletin 5 product. I find most customers as I have been a long time customer will not be impressed with that product. I know I am not.

Kaelon
December 29th, 2012, 10:57 AM
There is no roadmap for vbgallery concerning vbulletin 5 at this time. Honestly we have not had time to even consider that product. It took one and a half years to support vb4 for vbGallery as the product had to be written from the bottom on up for vb4. There is enough things to consider working on trying to best support vb5 with our main product Pro as well as ReviewPost and Classifieds. vBulletin 5 may as I have previously posted here prove the be the end of vbGallery as a product since developing a product tied to every last vbulletin version specific is too costly to develop versus the potential income.

I do not anticipate vBulletin having good reviews or sales on there vbulletin 5 product. I find most customers as I have been a long time customer will not be impressed with that product. I know I am not.

I can certainly agree that vBulletin 5 hasn't exactly impressed. I know that a lot of long-time big board owners like myself are looking at either forking vB 3.8.x, or moving to Invision Power Board.

(On a completely unrelated note -- any thoughts on why my account isn't showing that I'm a Verified Customer? My e-mail addresses sync up across Members Area and Forums, so I'm not sure why :/).

Chuck S
December 29th, 2012, 11:08 AM
If your members accessed is expired you would not be verified for support since your access for support has expired. You would need to renew your members access for 39.00 for support and access to the latest code. If you have not upgraded in awhile you might want to check it out

I actually like vb4 and the level of integration with that VB is top notch.

Kaelon
December 29th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Thanks, Chuck. I just renewed my access an hour or so ago to get the latest version of vBGallery (hooray for PHP 5.3.x support!), but I'm still not showing up as a Verified Customer. Any thoughts?

Re: vBulletin 4.x, the design aesthetic really put me off and I never found a convincing way to bridge the Stylesheet issues between 3.x and 4.x.

Chuck S
December 29th, 2012, 12:39 PM
They have to process your order ;)

well I do not use vbgallery I use Pro but we follow the vbulletin 4 style pretty darn well IMO

A community photo gallery - ReefTalk Gallery (http://www.reeftalk.com/gallery)

Chuck S
January 10th, 2013, 09:08 PM
We have open downloadable betas open thus far on PhotoPost Pro and Photopost Classifieds that support vBulletin 5.0.

Chuck S
January 18th, 2013, 08:56 AM
You can check out the vbulletin 5 demo sites here

A community photo gallery - My Photo Gallery (http://omegatron.net/photos)

Main Index - Omegatron.net Classifieds (http://omegatron.net/classifieds)

I am working on ReviewPost still but the two main products the Pro gallery and classifieds applications work with vb5.

Chuck S
January 21st, 2013, 11:34 PM
Making headway here with ReviewPost ;)

Main Index - My Product Gallery (http://omegatron.net/reviews/)

Chuck S
January 30th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Several weeks have gone by and I know of several people who have installed the beta and things are working good so far so good. I have example sites I have setup linked in the last few posts for others whom have not been following so feel free to join the beta and try things out if you wish.

Remember I am looking for ideas on the betas as well on general feature requests to balance out the release so it is not one sided just to support vb5. I have so far added a few things to each product and looking for a few more ideas.

Chuck S
February 14th, 2013, 05:35 PM
http://www.photopost.com/forum/photopost-pro-beta/149227-photopost-pro-8-3-beta-4-released-2-13-2013-a.html

We are on a beta 4 features listed in the thread above. I have updated our site to reflect we support vb5 things seem to be pretty stable at this point.

felixjsc
February 20th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Yeah, I know it may be a bit preemptive, but the vB 5 release is right around the corner. What are the plans for vB Photopost integration? It looks like the default gallery and media options are greatly improved. I'd like to continue using Photopost, but am curious as to the upgrade timeline. This would be the biggest site mod that may hold up any upgrades. Can you give us any insight? It would be appreciated.

Craig
I can certainly agree that vBulletin 5 hasn't exactly impressed. I know that a lot of long-time big board owners like myself are looking at either forking vB 3.8.x, or moving to Invision Power Board.

Chuck S
February 20th, 2013, 09:21 PM
It is too early to know what impact vb5 will have.

myuption
February 21st, 2013, 01:52 PM
And what will happen to vBGallery?

Thanks

Chuck S
February 21st, 2013, 02:15 PM
There is no official word at this point. I can say that no work has been done with vbGallery and vBulletin 5. All our time has been spent on our core 3 products. I think the writing has been on the wall about that product for some time now. I have been vocal for years with customers that have asked me my opinion is that they use Pro since it integrates just as well and has tons more features and is a more stable product.

Chuck S
February 24th, 2013, 07:42 PM
vBulletin 5 Connect Beta 28 has been released - vBulletin Community Forum (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbulletin-announcements/vbulletin-announcements_aa/426723-vbulletin-5-connect-beta-28-has-been-released)

vBulletin is on beta 28 for version 5 wow 168 bugs just from the release of beta 27

DirtRider
May 14th, 2013, 01:11 PM
You mean you are seriously thinking of getting a VB5 licence, oh boy not for me thanks. I am already on my way to purchasing xenforo

Chuck S
May 14th, 2013, 06:28 PM
I have no idea who wants to purchase vb5 I definately am not. ;)

Chuck S
July 22nd, 2013, 04:23 PM
Support for vBulletin 5 has been downgraded to User Login only until such time as vBulletin stabalizes that product. With the introduction of 5.03 they have totally rewritten the entire design with a dot release therefore enhanced integration will not work.

Once I have had a chance to see if things stabilize I can look into supporting enhanced integration once more. It will indeed take time to see what style aspects changed and how to mesh things up again to work.

PhotoMaster
September 1st, 2013, 11:58 AM
I'm with vBulletin 5 since 2months and it is a almost perfect script, much better than vb4 actually but ofcourse there are many bugs, I don't adivse to use it before +-2015 but overall it is a good forum script.

Chuck S
September 1st, 2013, 12:27 PM
That is all a matter of opinion I guess we all have them. ;)

There are lots of vBulletin 4 users who might disagree with that assessment. vB 4 has far less bugs and is an actual forum. The one drawback to vB5 most people I have heard from is that besides the huge insane amount of bugs is that it looks little like a forum at all.

Chuck S
October 29th, 2013, 09:11 PM
Anyone using vBulletin 5.03 or above must make sure they use our latest versions as style aspects changed in vb 5.03 and above so using older code than our current will break the integration.