PDA

View Full Version : PP Pro 8.x: Forum features as stand alone

snoopy5
July 30th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Hi

I have not been here a long time. I just wanted to check what the new pp pro offers on the forum side, if used as a stand alone package without vb integration etc.

Is there somewhere a demo online available?

Thanks

Chuck S
July 30th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Photopost is not a forum but an online community gallery product. there is as always a very basic board included.

A community photo gallery - Omegatron Gallery (http://www.omegatron.net/gallery)

snoopy5
July 31st, 2012, 02:33 AM
Photopost is not a forum but an online community gallery product. there is as always a very basic board included.

A community photo gallery - Omegatron Gallery (http://www.omegatron.net/gallery)

Hi Chuck,

do not worry, I did not want to sound mean. I was just curious, because I am sick of vbulletin, their policy and coding capabilities since vb version 4.

I think for a new project about a very simple forum, just as a basic support for a photo community.

I know that it makes more sense to offer integrations with other forum software instead of reinventing the wheel ;)

I have to figure out how basic I can go with my idea and what the target users will think what a "mandatory feature" is :)

For example: On almost all sites, users LOVE the album feature of vb 3.8x. But it is hard to get this in a forum software outside of vb. There is a mod for myBB for this, but there in the ACP is currently not enough settings possible for the admin.

So at the moment the 2 things I am looking the most first while getting an overview is the abilty to sell paid subscriptions via paypal for premium usergroup level, which I think was already possible with PP Pro some years ago and maybe this "album-in-user-profile".

I also see nowadays a tendency among users to pay attention to a "look-and-feel" factor while looking at their profile. They want to "present" themselves. Especialy photosites tends to be more "beauty-oriented" then i.e. community sites for i.e. technical stuff.

I will have a look at the link above. I do currently use PP Pro version 6.2 integrated with vb 3.8x. And may have a version 7.x somewhere not yet used. Is there a difference in the forum capability part in version 6.2 or later (if yes, which version?) compared to the current version?

This would make it easier then for me to test it out myself with the older version in a test installation...

Best wishes

snoopy5
July 31st, 2012, 04:46 AM
uuups,

I just found out that I have still an active member area licence: am getting old...

So I will download the current version and test it for myself.

Sorry for this confusion...

Chuck S
July 31st, 2012, 06:43 AM
No problem our product has for some time included a little board script but I can not say it is a forum.

A user on your gallery can create a topic and users can reply to it and the index will show the main threads. It is about as simplistic a board as there can be. No enhanced features etc. No categories