PDA

View Full Version : Photopost Pro 8 vs vBgallery

ausphotography
April 26th, 2012, 08:01 PM
We have vBgallery running on a vB4.1.12 site.
It works well.

Maybe a dumb question... but as the license is actually for both products which is best?

It seems PP8 has a lot of work being done on it and vB Gallery is not so much.

Is there a future for vB gallery?

Can we migrate to PP8? -- is that even a good idea?

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Chuck S
April 26th, 2012, 08:56 PM
There are no plans to get rid of it. we are a small company and have 4 products. vbgallery was worked on then pro went into beta and we released version 8. I am working on classifieds and Michael and I are both working on mobile support in pp8 some more and then I think he will turn his attention to vbGallery.

Pro has always been better than vbgallery that is my opinion and you can switch anytime you wish that is as always personal choice.

ausphotography
April 30th, 2012, 01:37 AM
If we switch is there an easy migration?
Is the integration the same?

Thanks!

Chuck S
April 30th, 2012, 10:08 AM
there are numerous examples on how to switch an integration here on this site so there are no shortcuts although switching from vbgallery to pro is easier.

to switch you need to install Pro and then use the vbgallery to pro import script in the photopost imports forum.

the integration is pretty much the same except pro has its own admin area etc since it is a full featured product and not a lite vb addon.

ausphotography
April 30th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Thanks!

Chuck S
April 30th, 2012, 07:38 PM
glad to help it is easier then most normal switching integrations because your not switching forums. ;)

sross
July 21st, 2012, 05:17 PM
Hi Chuck, I'm in the same boat and considering going back to ppost pro. Am I correct in understanding that I can try this migration without impacting the existing setup? For example will the importing leave the current vbgallery data alone so I am able to backout or is it an all or nothing migration? My plan would be to shut down vbgallery, install ppost, run import, test ppost and if all is well update my members to ppost. If all is not well, remove ppost and simply re-enable vbgallery. Thanks

Chuck S
July 21st, 2012, 05:27 PM
Yes the script does not delete or alter any content