PDA

View Full Version : Had issues with Photopost Pro/vBGallery but now I want to try again

Rckcrwlr
April 11th, 2012, 10:53 AM
I had issues with my install and usage of the program that resulted in me leaving it lay.

http://www.photopost.com/forum/general-discussion/143190-installed-vbgallery-but.html

http://www.photopost.com/forum/photopost-pro-bug-reports/144686-permissions-issues.html

It is saying that my license is expired....I thought that it was a one time purchase or do I renew the membership of $39?

I would like to attempt this again.

Let me know if that is what I need to do.

Thanks
John

Chuck S
April 11th, 2012, 11:10 AM
One owned license grants you the right to run one software installation on one domain for an unlimited time, and purchasing an owned license gives you access to our members download area and support for one year.

Therefore if yes it has been over a year what you would do is renew members access for $39.00 and that will let you download the code and obtain product support for another year.

Rckcrwlr
April 11th, 2012, 11:14 AM
One owned license grants you the right to run one software installation on one domain for an unlimited time, and purchasing an owned license gives you access to our members download area and support for one year.

Therefore if yes it has been over a year what you would do is renew members access for $39.00 and that will let you download the code and obtain product support for another year.

Thanks Chuck.

I liked the program but just couldn't get it to work properly. In fact I went on it now and it is showing no thumbnails.

I have a feeling we will be talking a lot in the near future. LOL

thanks for your support.

John

Rckcrwlr
April 11th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Renewed... :D

Chuck S
April 11th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Well you need to ensure safe mode is off the server paths are correct and the data and uploads folders are 777.

If you do that then things should work just fine. You never got it installed last time because we had given you advise and you choose to give up.

Our install is about a medium difficulty so it is not for everyone that is also why we offer install service for $59.00 for those who are not comfortable installing things.

The installation instructions are pretty detailed so they always help

http://www.photopost.com/installphp.html

Rckcrwlr
April 11th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Chuck,
Don't get me wrong...it had nothing to do with the support, that is second to none. It was more the frustration of not knowing a lot of this stuff and trying to communicate that with my Server Guy.

I will give it my best shot, if not I will send you $59. LOL

Rckcrwlr
April 11th, 2012, 12:23 PM
OK...I downloaded the zip file. For an upgrade do I do the same steps as the install? Just making sure before I go any further.

Thanks

Chuck S
April 11th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Well if you do not have a functioning install then my suggestion would be to do a clean fresh install. There is nothing to save or upgrade.

Rckcrwlr
April 11th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Well if you do not have a functioning install then my suggestion would be to do a clean fresh install. There is nothing to save or upgrade.

I have pictures there that are linked so I don't want to kill the whole thing. :eek:

So do I upgrade and if so, how would I do that...with a different script?

Chuck S
April 11th, 2012, 02:51 PM
well okay you where saying you could never get it installed so not too sure what pictures your referring to.

At any rate you can upload the code and reinstall into the same database table prefix etc that is there and then after a successful install run any upgrade that you need to run from the 7 series to 8.

Rckcrwlr
April 11th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Chuck,
Thanks for being patient with me. i want to make sure I do this right.

I currently have a "working" version of Photopost installed so to upgrade to 8.0 I will need to:

upload the files to the server
run the install script with the current database prefix

And that will be it?

Chuck S
April 11th, 2012, 04:30 PM
if your install is installed correctly and working all you need to do is upload all the files except the config files and run the upgrade script.

Rckcrwlr
January 29th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Finally got the server bugs worked out and it is installed...

Only a couple questions...

Is there a way to get the VB Albums moved over to vbGallery?

How do I stop it from changing the members Avatars?

Thanks,
John

Chuck S
January 29th, 2013, 09:24 PM
http://www.photopost.com/forum/vbgallery-import-scripts/144994-very-beta-import-vb4-albums-vbgallery-3-a.html

That seems to be a beta script someone released as is on the forum that might work. There is no officially supported script to do that.

Not sure what you mean about member avatars. The gallery program should have nothing to do with member avatars which is a profile thing.

Chuck S
January 31st, 2013, 10:30 AM
Let me know what you mean about member avatars which is a profile thing. I setup a test copy just to reacquaint myself with the product since I personally use Pro and a members avatar or profile picture is totally a vbulletin forum feature.

I do not see anything about vbGallery having anything to do with a forum avatar.

Rckcrwlr
February 9th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Sorry Chuck,
Didn't realize that this account was on an old email address.

It looks like it is changing the avatar when in vbgallery. I uploaded an image and it was showing in the avatar...but only when in vbgallery. when I go to the forum it's the original one.

Chuck S
February 9th, 2013, 11:16 PM
I would have to see what you mean. I know vbgallery uses whatever avatar is the avatar. Now I know in newer vbulletins there are like multiple avatar things with the new versions maybe that is what you mean.

I would need to see a url

Rckcrwlr
February 10th, 2013, 08:12 AM
I would have to see what you mean. I know vbgallery uses whatever avatar is the avatar. Now I know in newer vbulletins there are like multiple avatar things with the new versions maybe that is what you mean.

I would need to see a url

Never mind...found the problem...

Chuck...you said you use PRO...I tried to do that back a year ago and had problems with it linking to the site....

Now that I have VBGallery working, would it be worth me trying it again?

Does it offer more flexibility?

Chuck S
February 10th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Not sure why you would have problems with pro linking to your site that product has worked with vb for along time and is a much more mature product. I would use Pro if I were you personally.

Rckcrwlr
February 10th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Not sure why you would have problems with pro linking to your site that product has worked with vb for along time and is a much more mature product. I would use Pro if I were you personally.

Not questioning the software...it was a server issue at the time.

I'll give it a go....

Thanks again for all your help.

John

Chuck S
February 10th, 2013, 04:24 PM
I was just saying I do not know what your problem was so hard for me to comment about anything that I was not privy to seeing. ;)

Rckcrwlr
February 10th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Going to try and reactivate the Pro version...I still have the original loaded...just need to upgrade it and then turn it on and hope...

Chuck S
February 10th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Well if you where having problems installing it try reinstalling it just make sure when installing all correct info is entered and you should be fine. If not you need to explicitly state your problems so we can answer what might help you solve the issue.