PDA

View Full Version : Video Gallery

jjj0923
March 1st, 2012, 01:41 PM
Since it seems senseless to attempt to compete with Youtube and Facebook when it comes to hosting video are there any plans to have something in pohotopost that allows for the embedding of video embed code from youtube (and potentially FB if and when they allow that).

My users all 190,000 of them have all their pics in PP right now on my largest forums and it makes sense to keep them there instead of me making a Video Forum on VB and directing them there to embed their Youtube code.

just asking...

Chuck S
March 2nd, 2012, 09:37 AM
Remember both Facebook and Youtube require you to actually upload the images or video's to there site in order for them to display it so our product works the same way.

There are no plans to allow hotlinking to other sites since technically in the industry that is called bandwidth theft and is heavily frowned on.

jjj0923
March 2nd, 2012, 10:35 AM
Remember both Facebook and Youtube require you to actually upload the images or video's to there site in order for them to display it so our product works the same way.

There are no plans to allow hotlinking to other sites since technically in the industry that is called bandwidth theft and is heavily frowned on.

in the past that was true but it's a whole new world out there and since everyone embeds ads in their video nowadays the opposite is actually true and places like Youtube WANT their videos 'hotlinked as you say' because it's how they make money - otherwise they would not so heavily promote their embed code. It is not frowned upon at all by youtube or the other large video sites - it's encouraged.

but - good luck with that. I'd figured I'd just check here before taking the time to switch to another product on my sites. I've always liked your products.

Chuck S
March 2nd, 2012, 10:37 AM
I am just pointing out the services your talking about do not allow what you want no more than we do. Places that serve images or video's for users to see do not allow hotlinking because all content that shows from there site must exist on there site. We follow the same guidelines it is pretty standard.

Michael P
March 3rd, 2012, 10:35 AM
I've been considering the option of adding an embedded video from a URL, recognizing Chuck's concerns above. Maybe something limited to youtube (or something we know promotes it). It's yet another upload option and I feel the process for uploading is already a little cumbersome - so its a thought process.

Also, I do see the evolution of PhotoPost going into much more of a social direction - less from the forum layout interface and more into the new format that i'd like to add a news feed to and then have a "wall" tracking activity across the photos - what people are uploading, sharing, liking, talking about, etc.