PDA

View Full Version : new spam emails regarding Photopost

taylorpiano
June 16th, 2011, 04:22 PM
I don't know where else to post this but to General Discussions.

Guessing most will know to disregard any emails like this, but just in case, I'm passing it along.
I received this email today from an unknown source.

==============================

Please delete your install.php file in /home/byte/public_html/photopost.

People can see your database information. [url]http://www.your_website_will_be_listed_here.com/photopost/install.php?step=config]PhotoPost Install Script
Good luck!
==============================

Chuck S
June 16th, 2011, 05:54 PM
well nothing like that came from us but it sounds like someone is being nice if you ask me.

You should delete your install script just like our install doc states after an install.

taylorpiano
June 16th, 2011, 09:03 PM
I knew it didn't come from you guys :)

I just took it as whatever they wanted us to do would destroy our database or allow them to have access to it?

taylorpiano
June 16th, 2011, 09:04 PM
so it was legitimate? Just cant figure out why some unknown person would send out an email

taylorpiano
June 16th, 2011, 09:07 PM
I just asked Steve and he said he checked and our install script is already deleted.

So does that mean we are safe with no one being able to see our database?

Chuck S
June 17th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Yeah if you install script is deleted thats okay. I can not tell you why someone emailed you only that this email did not come from us or our program. ;)

taylorpiano
June 17th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Actually I just emailed them and they replied back. They too run a website with vB and PP and had the same problem and they said they check out our website from time to time and tried to see if we had the same problem. So when they saw we did, they alerted us. Its nice to know there are still nice people in the world willing to help out a complete stranger :D

Chuck S
June 17th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Yep they are out there.

taylorpiano
June 17th, 2011, 05:10 PM
ok, now I'm not so sure. How can we contact you privately? I might not have access to the member area since Steve is not home.

Chuck S
June 17th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Not sure what you mean here. You got an email from some person saying you have the install file on your site. You say you do not. I do not see what you are needing assistance with. You can tell me what you mean here.

taylorpiano
June 17th, 2011, 06:05 PM
well Steve changed all the passwords and got rid of every file that could have been an install file. Then a couple hours later I noticed 2 new categories created in PP, both were set as 100% access for all members and non members to upload photos. I didn't create it. Steve is on a road trip but was able to pull over someplace and get internet access with his laptop to see whats going on. I didn't really want to post it publicly :(

Chuck S
June 17th, 2011, 06:24 PM
well an install file is not going to create new categories and assign permissions for all to post. Only an admin can sign into and create categories from within the edit categories link in admin. Look at admin log when and who created those categories? You can then deal with that user who has admin access.

taylorpiano
June 17th, 2011, 06:55 PM
only Steve and I have access. I'll see if I can find what user id created those categories

Chuck S
June 17th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Yeah the admin log right under statistics should tell you exactly what user edited created categories.

taylorpiano
June 17th, 2011, 08:44 PM
that was where I checked. I had to go beyond the last 20, so when I clicked see all, I got this error message

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 9758595 bytes) in /home/byte/public_html/photopost/adm-misc.php on line 2106

Chuck S
June 17th, 2011, 09:24 PM
http://www.photopost.com/forum/1219346-post2.html

That should help out thats a php memory timeout issue.