PDA

View Full Version : A discussion regarding PhotoPost PRO 8 interfaces

Michael P
December 14th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I've been working on PRO 8 features and I'm at a point where it's time to setup a site from which to work to pan out some of the various items I've been working on. But, I find myself at a crossroads with some concepts and am looking for some feedback.

Specifically, around the layout.

Right now we have two formats - forum and gallery:

Forum: - ExtremeFitness Photo Galleries (http://www.extremefitness.com/gallery/)
Gallery: Michael Pierce's Photo Gallery - Main Index (http://www.michaelpierce.com/gallery/index.php?page=12)

Now, each of these formats has its own benefits - the forum layout on my extremefitness.com website is a great example of a forum layout that blends well with my main forum, but allows me to have galleries sorted by subject. I am the only one who posts to this gallery and, honestly, I can't think of a better format for what I am doing there.

The Gallery layout works great in its own right - collects of photos (again, that I manage), but allows me to display the photos as more of a gallery for my friends and family.

But moving forward, what look does it take on? And to that, can another layout be supported or do I end up doing a redesign that eliminates both the forum and gallery layout in favor of something new? Supporting multiple formats comes at a cost - the templates are harder to follow and the code has a bunch of stuff that isn't always necessary depending on which layout you use.

I've been doing some proof of concepts for possible layouts at Adult Wide Screen Wallpapers (http://www.adultwidescreenwallpapers.com) (this is a NSFW website!) where the front page can be designated to show just all the recent uploads with deeper links to subcategories using the drop-down menu (similar to the old deviantart.com menu structure) OR, again using deviantart as an example, a menu structured down the left side without any indications of last photo uploads or even number of photos.

Another area you'll see some changes are on the showphoto page where I've changed the filmstrip preview to a scrolling window and removed some options to clean up the page. I'm adding more ajax interaction on here and will be even making the comment viewing paging work via ajax.

But I'm not here to talk about features; I'm more interested in a discussion about the interface itself. The vast majority of people use the forums layout; while we've done allot to add content boxes and give allot of flexibility on these page, but is this the right format going forward? Or is it simply that the gallery layout is the one that needs restructuring (considering is likely so infrequently used?)

I'm interested in hearing your ideas/suggestions regarding that actual layout (again, not a debate about features at this point).

jdougher
December 27th, 2010, 07:06 PM
The interface on the adult site is interesting.

Alfa1
December 27th, 2010, 07:56 PM
I have been reviewing various galleries on social networking sites, with your question in mind.

The first thing that comes to mind when I see your examples is that they all have to much unused space that should be used for images.

Some considerations:
Use a navigation tree on the left, and recent images on the right. The navigation tree would cater to those who want a category structuring. Those who do not want this would simply turn off the navigation tree. Consider to use GWT.
The right side of the page would have images only. No text, no categories, only images. Hovering could show title and category. Showing a small round icon in the image, depicting the number of comments would be a nice function I have seen here and there.

Michael P
December 28th, 2010, 08:14 PM
What concerns me is "clutter"; effective use of white space to highlight what is most important seems to be the first priority. We current just have too many things on a page and most of what is there gets missed because its all over the place.

Alfa1
December 29th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Thats why it would be useful to stuff all functionality(search, categories) and navigation together in a logical menu and leave the rest of the page for images. When you allow admins to set the number of images that are displayed, then the clutter depends upon that.

Turtile
January 1st, 2011, 01:55 PM
What concerns me is "clutter"; effective use of white space to highlight what is most important seems to be the first priority. We current just have too many things on a page and most of what is there gets missed because its all over the place.

Take a look at Photobucket. This is the kind of interface Photopost should have.

I'm going to assume that most Photopost users run Photopost in a community setting. What's the first thing a user needs to do in order to use your site?
Register! But when a normal internet user looks at Photopost, they are left dumbfounded.

After they register, they want to upload photos.... but the upload link is very small and almost impossible to see. After they upload photos, searching is the most important thing.

The other problem with the interface is the fact that the text is way too small. With high resolution monitors, you can barely read it.

So basically:
1. Register, join, sign up etc. needs to be big and easy to find. The purpose of the site needs to be clear.
2. The upload photo link needs a big button that's easy to find.
3. The search button should be large and easy to find.
4. The text links need to be at a readable size for modern monitors and older users.

DefenceTalk.com
January 3rd, 2011, 09:55 PM
Turtile,

I have same issue with users on my sites. The bar which has the upload link, is really USELESS, especially so when its integrated with vbulletin. The upload link should be in where vB users look the most, navbar and areas around that.

Another useless feature for me is the filmstrip... its there but you can't do much with it. Its not flexible enough.

I would also like AJAX being put to use in more place, more often in PP's next version.

Photobucket has really improved from what they use to be few years ago. Another good interface is webshots, really well done both of them.

The frontpage of PP should be like a CMS, something that gives the user overview of what was recently uploaded and updated as well as comments/categories which are popular.
I would like to see some type of slider being put to use on the frontpage (see here (http://www.defencetalk.com)). Take the random/recent and other blocks OUT and replace it with a slider to give the homepage a CMS type of look.

As far as category layout, mainpage should be flexible, like homepage of vBulletin is with mods, etc. so that LONG list of categories could be shown in COLUMNS thus reducing amount of scrolling a user would have to do to get to bottom of the list.

Make the code easier to deal with and understand. I am NOT a programmer but I taught my self how to work with mambo then joomla, then I converted my websites to wordpress and LOVE working with wordpress. I converted my forums from phpbb to vbulletin and love working with their templates and easy to use and understand tags (at least it was easy prior to 4.0 version)... so make the code easy to understand so basic stuff can be done without asking for support.

As far as the general layout is concerned, the MEDIUM PHOTO area needs to MOVE UP, closer to the navbar, just under it. The PP breadcrumb should go where vB's does. If you look at modern template and theme designs, one sidebar (usually 300px) with one main area for content has become a norm... utilize the web2.0 techniques.

Have sidebars but they should be flexible as well and should go on either LEFT or right, depending on the settings.

Allow option to embed galleries (of thumbnails linked back to original gallery/pictures) on remote webpages and websites and not just medium or thumbnail images.

Make SEO more flexible as well, allow the admin to pick how they want their SEF urls formatted.

When on upload page, show the user WHICH category they can upload. See screenshot.

Michael P
January 5th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Focusing on the interface and not specific features right now; I do like some of the new photobucket look. I don't really care for their gallery pages (with share links on thumbnails?) and the nav on the right I can't seem to really like. There are some sorting options, but we offer more flexibility on sorting than they do.

Although with PhotoPost we have to keep in mind integration with multiple forum styles and their own header/footer combinations. I don't think adding the PRO menu options into the vB navbar will reduce any confusion - it'll just bury everything and really thats a vB mod handled outside of PRO.

If I was only building for my own website and didn't have to be concerned with how it would look across different platforms it would probably look very different.

Another consideration is that some people use fixed layouts and others fluid. This also limits some design elements.

It's quite the feat to create an unlimited number of style options yet have easily modified or readable code. Unlimited levels of parent/children, huge categories of images (with hundreds or thousands of images), etc.

Dual columns of categories only works with the top level of categories - otherwise its awkward to show relationships to parents. I've always felt deviantart.com did a pretty decent job of displaying its layers of categories, but some of our users have hundreds of parent/children relationships.

I'll explore photobucket more and see what elements would be potentially usable.

I agree that the nav bar for PRO can be confusing to people unsure of where to look for stuff (like uploading). There needs to be a better way to show users what their options are.

Luciano
January 6th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Some interesting things here.. the category jump is nice at photobucket,
but I would suggest to take into consideration some techniques used on another gallery site: deviantART: where ART meets application! (http://www.deviantart.com)
The advantage they have, is that they are (in the newest version) very concious about saving ressources.
Example: images and categories on home page are strict minimum
All information is stored in mainpage: when you click an image, it pulls the data from mainpage and displays image + image info on an imagepage that is nothing else than a overlay javascript page like lightbox etc.
Only that instead of generating a semi-transparent overlay it overlays a real page. whitout using ressources, taking the previous / next links from the images on mainpage etc...

They also have a similar category jump. showing only top level cats on mainpage and subcats only where you are: this also saves a huge amount on ressources.

thats my 2 cents

Luc

Michael P
January 7th, 2011, 08:01 AM
I'm a fan of the deviant art interface; although a couple things about it stand out to me - the lack of any previews of whats next or back or any breadcrumbs. Are these really things we would want to do away with?

If we did a navigation similar to deviantart then the index and showgallery pages would have navigation on the right side (with no last photo/comments or photo indicators) and would simply expand/contract depending on where they were. This in itself wouldn't be difficult at all.

Luciano
January 7th, 2011, 09:03 AM
I'm a fan of the deviant art interface; although a couple things about it stand out to me - the lack of any previews of whats next or back or any breadcrumbs. Are these really things we would want to do away with?

They used to have filmstrip, (also taken from the background page) I think they removed it for performance. But the principle would save the memory hog for vbgallery, as to pppro I think the filmstrip does not respect the sortorder of the page where you clicked the image..
(all the different sortorders a a real performance hog in vbgallery)

and they do have previous / next links..

as to the comments, its ok if they are under the pic, but I think picture comments are not the same as threads.. in 99% of the cases it only people writing: cool or nice pic.... or keep up posting.. thats all..
so pulling a preview should not be difficult, but IMHO completely useless.

Luc

Michael P
January 7th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Cutting previous would most certainly cut down on resources significantly, but its also a decent feature. (PRO is supposed to follow sorting, but was missing a couple lines of code.)

Same kind of goes for the breadcrumbs - the processing of the nav tree for some configurations is cumbersome.

Swanny
January 10th, 2011, 09:34 PM
I don't have the time right now to read through and give detailed feedback. But I did want to mention that in the next release, I would like to see the templates simplified. Please use WAY less tables in the layout. If possible, use CSS positioning.

DefenceTalk.com
January 14th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I second swanny's suggestion and as I mentioned, templates need to be simple.

I would like to see photopost supporting and using TAG system like all modern galleries, websites and CMSes use today. So, if you take a picture about "aircraft" it should pull all pictures tagged with that keyword (regardless of the category).

I would also like to see enhanced RSS feed support. I know, rss feeds for categories was added, it needs to go step further and have support for feeds based on tags.

The "LATEST" shows last 4 or whatever # of pictures uploaded... there should be an option to change that to last 4 or whatever # of CATEGORIES which were updated so the pictures shown in the "LATEST" area are from different categories and not just one... same goes for the rss feeds, latest galleries updated, not last 50 pictures from ONE category. We had to get that custom coded!

Also, the admin controls when viewing medium image are little out of place. Admin/mod/user controls should be shown around, near the picture for that user.

Improve error notification and detection... for example: If a picture being uploaded is too small, the script should just delete that and continue with the rest of the uploads!!! Right now, this is really broken as PP detects picture size is too small, it stops with a dumb error and no information about which file is causing the error or which file is too small so the user can at least go back and delete/uncheck that in the bulk upload page.

Some design inspirations with jquery/ajax
30 Trendy AJAX, jQuery And Image Galleries You May Like (http://www.1stwebdesigner.com/css/ajax-jquery-image-galleries/)

jQuery Image Galleries & Sliders – Best Of (http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/jquery-image-galleries-sliders-best-of/)

jdougher
January 17th, 2011, 05:17 PM
So basically:
1. Register, join, sign up etc. needs to be big and easy to find. The purpose of the site needs to be clear.
2. The upload photo link needs a big button that's easy to find.
3. The search button should be large and easy to find.
4. The text links need to be at a readable size for modern monitors and older users.

I second all of these suggestions.

Users need a ONE-TWO-THREE approach. Big buttons. Register. Upload. Etc.

PhotoPost is too geeky. Most users don't know where to begin with it. Also, they compare it to the other free image hosting galleries available today, and there's no contest. Why should they bother?

Also--and this is VERY IMPORTANT--the new PhotoPost must be made extensible. What I mean by that is that users need a way to upload to a PhotoPost gallery from common image editing applications: lightroom, picasa, etc.

Geiri
February 5th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Ideas and thoughts from me

For Administrators
I am with the CMS idea easy control.. contend every where, widgets and advertising, big visual buttons. I actually like the simple new vB4 text buttons and the layout and widget system in vB is nice.

I would like to see

For users...
- It should be easy... Your mother should have the feeling of, I can do this!
- send in your photo... user see's how to do this right away!
- social networking... Users want to share, and let others know what they are doing on your site
- participate in our site... some things that makes the user want to take part.. better contests, and more user 2 user options like: internal like buttons for users or reputation system, promote a photo to Pp front page for users (photo of the week or month)
- advertising spaces
- RSS support for feeds based on tags (sounds good)

Integration with vB4... option to pull/share info with vB like Promote photo to CMS front page, Single profile

All these fields with text... Why not use buttons for..
Linked Thumbnail and other text fields (copy to clipboard)

Treat categories like cms pages, You choose what you see in each category..
Like, put more control of blocks into the categories... Like how many random photos are shown in x category and what side pals etc..

Users usually don't want big changes right away, but they want to play .
Administrators want to be able to control everything, always and easily.

Not more for now :)

motowebmaster
February 5th, 2011, 10:18 PM
I'll admit that it's difficult for me to focus on anything but the amount of table code being used in the templates. I'd like to see PP-Pro 8 beta versions without the use of table html at all.

wacnstac
February 12th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Make it so people can upload pictures from their phones, or Photopost is done.

Michael P
February 13th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Actually, for a long time I did offer a plug-in for mobile uploads; the issue was around keeping it updated and Sprint was always changing their emails to try and prevent people from being able to directly access their own images.

If PhotoPost was a single service, it would be easy to put something together - an iPhone app even. But the only method we can use for our customers is email and many people had trouble getting even email access setup properly or scheduling the cron job. Couple that with the requirement that all mobile uploads get processed into a single category (considered just putting them into a person's upload queue).

I'm open to the idea of bringing the mod back (I still use it and the code to support the category is still there), but supporting it can be difficult.

Geiri
February 14th, 2011, 11:24 PM
I follow many of my users on facebook and I see they like the mobile option there. This would be very nice to have.

Chuck S
February 14th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Ugh I remember that mobile mod more people had issues with getting things to function or configured then those who could use it.

Michael P
February 15th, 2011, 07:15 PM
That's the problem - the mobile mod really requires someone who understands how to setup an email server. I just don't know how to make is plug-and-play for anyone on any machine - it's just not that simple. At least I havent figured out a way to make it that simple.

genehunter
February 16th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Being a DBA and application support person now for 20 years, I have learned that the more you customize an application the more headaches you have every time you try to upgrade. So based on keeping things simple I try not to make any changes to the code, just go with what you provide in order to keep things simple. But the problem is for me that you dont have enough ways to customize the look and feel without changing a lot of code. I would love to see less space between the photos putting more photos on the front page. PUT CATEGORIES over on the left side for easy navigation and keep the entire middle and right side for photos tightly packed so you can see more images on the main page. Allow customers to pick what page they start out at. They could for instance start at their photo gallery or the most recent photos page. give us more options for customizing the look and feel of the site to make it our own without having to change code. Also give us more options for advertising as this is how sites pay for the overhead. Without advertising whats the use.

genehunter
February 16th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Do away with ecards , nobody uses it.

Allow a more robust built in photo competition that automatically posts photo of the day or month on a special area as most popular photo. People love the attention of being photo of the day or week or month and will upload more and work harder to get that spot. Getting users to interact with the site more will create more traffic.

leeyn
February 23rd, 2011, 08:06 PM
The navigation tree would cater to those who want a category structuring. Those who do not want this would simply turn off the navigation tree. Consider to use GWT. ...........

Geiri
February 23rd, 2011, 10:26 PM
comshow.php is popular on my site some tuning to it might be nice...
It is for many the first thing to look at when the open the gallery and look for the most recent discussions. I have a link to it in my navbar.

I would like to see suggestions from others about it and to know if your users are using it.??

Michael P
February 24th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Can you give me an example site of what the GWT menu would look like?

A Harley Davidson photo sharing community - Harley Alley (http://www.harleyalley.com) is getting some of the same treatment. I've learned that the filmstrip javascript I was using is incompatible with the lightbox javascript; so it appears that will go back to the AJAX method of scrolling.

Another challenge is the whole CSS aspect and how it ends up breaking most integrations. But I'll work on that more before I talk to it.

Alfa1
March 9th, 2011, 06:45 PM
+1 on GWT!
Can you give me an example site of what the GWT menu would look like?
Ext GWT 2.2.1 Explorer (http://www.sencha.com/examples/explorer.html#filtertree)

I've learned that the filmstrip javascript I was using is incompatible with the lightbox javascript; so it appears that will go back to the AJAX method of scrolling.

Another challenge is the whole CSS aspect and how it ends up breaking most integrations. But I'll work on that more before I talk to it.
Yes, that is quite a challenge. But it should be possible to combine.
Isnt it better to ditch lightbox in favor of cerabox? That looks better IMHO.

Alfa1
March 19th, 2011, 12:55 AM
2008 Harley Davidson Fat Bob - Harley Alley (http://www.harleyalley.com/2008-hd-fat-bob/p204-2008-harley-davidson-fat-bob.html)

Here is my work in progress.....
It looks nice with lots of improvements, but it does not feel modern enough. Because the functions do not have fluent effects.
When I click on an arrow to see the next 5 thumbs then it takes time to load those. These next 5 thumbs show after they are loaded, instead of coming into view with an effect. (sliding, morphing, etc)
Hovering over a thumbnail with my mouse does not highlight the thumb I hover above.
When a page with thumbs loads, the thumbs load partially, before loading fully. It would look better if they would become visible in a more modern way or would become visible only once the whole thumb is loaded.

South Fork
March 22nd, 2011, 05:42 AM
Michael,

While I think you can take it further I must give you some props for finally focusing on the layout. Honestly, thanks for that.

Some critique. Users browsing categories are browsing thumbs, not verbose yet useless info (much of it anyway) about the image. The amount of info under the thumbs takes more vertical space than the thumb itself. Are you planning to option the display of these items or should we just modify the template?

* Filename
* User:
* Views:
* Rating:
* Date:
* Filesize:
* Dimensions:
* Comments:

South Fork

Chuck S
March 22nd, 2011, 06:56 AM
On the category display the option to not display that type of information has always been a feature to my knowledge. Under admin show photo options you can turn off the title views filesize etc to show.

Michael P
March 31st, 2011, 06:02 PM
Correct, you can turn off the display of those items under the show photo options.

You also have the option, per category, to set the default "view" that appears for that category when a user first goes into it.

vicos
April 7th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I like the NSFW website. Clean and simple. That old vB forum look is so klunky and yesteryear.

Keep it slick, quick, flexible, and full of Ajax.

System needs to be modular and employ modern standards. Plugins for all the latest social media sites. Be nice to allow themes and then get a few professional theme designers on board (like Woothemes). I'm happy to pay a few extra bucks for a professionally designed look. Finally, separate the theme from the code so that system upgrades do not require touching all the custom mods.

SEO is a must...maybe work with the vbSEO guys to let them sell a plugin. They're the experts.

A nice to have would be a plugin for Picasa so we could upload from Picasa to the gallery, like Picasaweb.

kisii
May 10th, 2011, 01:39 PM
The Forum interface is nice for neat freaks like myself. It gives the site more order especially if you have a big gallery and its a mix of video, audio and images. the only addition that i would like to see is " on click of photo, audio or video" go to the next one.

Alfa1
May 20th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Images should not enlarge more than your screen size. And once enlarged it should still be easy and intuitive to navigate to the next image without going back to a smaller version first.

kisii
June 2nd, 2011, 03:29 PM
Just some observations:
in the uploads or data directories, do we really need mid size, big and small thumbnails? those create a unnecessary files in my opinion.
Also is it possible to click a picture to advance to the next one ( instead of using the next button)?

Chuck S
June 2nd, 2011, 03:39 PM
There are only two or three images depending on your options. You want directories breaking down the different images as one directory has a finite number of files it can support. There is only a thumbnail and the main image usually unless you elect have medium images and then you would have a third image for the photo. There is also the mini thumb option which is rarely used by anyone.

Alfa1
June 5th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Please use CKeditor for commenting. This makes it uniform with IPB and vbulletin.

b6gm6n
June 7th, 2011, 04:38 PM
I love the use of new css for new browsers, nice to see some curves on a front page rather than straight lines... thats so 2003 :) i like the new waft & go rating stars and the social-bookmarks and the general layout, i have used some nice round corners for a personal gaming site i have here (http://www.7oxicity.net/) view in firefox, chrome, not sure about IE yet :) anyways keep up the good work I'm hoping to upgrade my pp soon as your ready.

Archaic
June 11th, 2011, 05:13 AM
SEO is a must...maybe work with the vbSEO guys to let them sell a plugin. They're the experts.

Let me second this. It'd be amazing if these two could work together. I know vbSEO have bent over backwards for some popular free and paid addon creators before, so there must be something that can be done.

drache
June 12th, 2011, 02:18 AM
ExtremeFitness Photo Galleries (http://www.extremefitness.com/gallery/)

is better interface.

Chuck S
June 12th, 2011, 08:57 AM
That site is a default PhotoPost Pro no changes.

Alfa1
June 12th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Please consider the explosive growth of mobile use of the internet. Looking at the screen resolutions of the visitors of my big board, I see that a smartphone resolution is now the 3rd most used.

Please add a good mobile skin to Photopost pro. Or integrate this mobile gallery:
Wonderwall (http://tympanus.net/Tutorials/WonderwallMobileGallery/#albums_container)

Alfa1
June 12th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Please review these contemporary jquery image gallery applications:
YoxView - jQuery image viewer plugin (http://www.yoxigen.com/yoxview/)
Folio – Galleria Theme Preview (http://galleria.aino.se/themes/folio/)
Galleriffic | A jQuery plugin for rendering fast-performing photo galleries (http://www.twospy.com/galleriffic/index.html)
jquery mb.gallery Matteo Bicocchi's Blog (http://pupunzi.open-lab.com/mb-jquery-components/mb-gallery/)

What these do well is that they are intuitive in user experience. Clicking on an image will lead to the next image or will close the image. At no point does the user end up at a dead end page. (this does happen in Photopost) Transitions to a next image or to a larger version are fluid and within the same page. IMO this is the kind of user interface that a modern image gallery needs.

Could you look into the login box? It would be much easier if the user can login while staying on the same page, instead of being taken away to: /misc.php?action=login&login=yes

Michael P
June 14th, 2011, 06:34 PM
ExtremeFitness Photo Galleries (http://www.extremefitness.com/gallery/)

is better interface.

Correct, this is one of my sites and is the basic integrated vBulletin style with virtually no customization.

WonderwallMobile is interesting, but so basic as to not work with our structure of multiple levels of albums - it also uses xml files for descriptions, instead of dynamic data. I am interested in a mobile skin, just trying to figure out the best way to support our structure of categories/subcategories/albums.

Chuck S
June 15th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Well the mobile style would more so be a special template set a very LITE version one would say.

DannyITR
June 29th, 2011, 09:02 AM
I came and searched the forum to find out if there was any new release planned for PP that would improve the user experience. I can see that a lot of people have the same issue with the poor interface reminiscent from the late 1990s but there doesn't seem to be any drive to improve the Photopost product. I use Photopost extensively and I get complaints all the time about how difficult and time consuming simple navigation is. It would be nice for Photopost to acknowledge this at the minimum and work on releasing a completely new interface.

Chuck S
June 29th, 2011, 09:08 AM
There are plenty examples of PP8 here in this thread Michael is talking about

Adult Wide Screen Wallpapers (http://www.adultwidescreenwallpapers.com/)

A Harley Davidson photo sharing community - Harley Alley (http://www.harleyalley.com)

PP8 is being developed there is alot of work to be done.

DannyITR
June 29th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I looked at both those sites but I see the same style old school interface. What I mean is that you have to click "next photo" and wait for the page to reload each time to scroll through the gallery. I've seen galleries where you can scroll with the mouse wheel or by clicking the photo itself and there is no delay because the next photo is always pre-loaded. Why can't photopost do this?

Chuck S
June 29th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Michael can answer this but I beleive the answer has always been what to do with all the information on the page. Sure there are some nifty java viewers out there. Lets take facebook the site. I hate that viewer. You may like it. It is a black popup window you can scan through pictures it may show a title etc. The problem with those types of viewers is all you can pass basically is a title.

DannyITR
June 29th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Michael can answer this but I beleive the answer has always been what to do with all the information on the page. Sure there are some nifty java viewers out there. Lets take facebook the site. I hate that viewer. You may like it. It is a black popup window you can scan through pictures it may show a title etc. The problem with those types of viewers is all you can pass basically is a title.

This is true and I suspect the reason behind the photopost interface. For my needs I guess Photopost just has too many features. My users browse galleries of car show photos (sometimes up to 500 photos per gallery). They want to see the most amount of photos in the least amount of time possible.

Chuck S
June 29th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Yeah Michael and I both hate that facebook viewer thing.

Do not fear we always take user suggestions serious any true photopost customer knows this as most features in the program are user suggestions.

I am sure he will see this post and we are always looking out to see what we can add to improve things. We may find a way to use ajax to load portions of the page in conjunction with one another.

Wrap up of what has been done with PP8 thus far is

1. Layout changes on index placing cats list on left still controlled through options of whether you want a forum look or gallery

2. Layout changes on showphoto as well as additions of social networking apps new improved ajax ratings and commenting display and management.

3. changes with language strings and variables in templating as well as removal of complex looping making templating easier to follow.

4. for standalone Michael has designed a more modern theme using modern technics.

5. I am working in vb4 right now basically trying to make the css integration a little tighter as well as removing as much tables as possible.

A community photo gallery - - ReefTalk Gallery (http://www.reeftalk.com/gallery/)

My hopes are eventually maybe even by the final PP8 to have the least amount of tables possible. Bring it into 2010 just use div,ol,ul and li ;)

pgowder
July 25th, 2011, 10:09 AM
For the design of PP8, I think you should focus on the photos. That is what this is about, photos!

Take a look here:

500px is Photography (http://www.500px.com)

Simple, clean interface. And all the focus is on the photos.

Their pages for the individual photos are great too:
500px / Photo "SC State Fair" by Paul Gowder (http://500px.com/photo/931759)

Very similar to your PP8 demo you linked to. But make the photo even larger!

Chuck S
July 25th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Remember you control the size of your images so any demo showing the medium or main image is going to be to that site admins settings. They can be greater or smaller than what you would set.

pgowder
July 25th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Remember you control the size of your images so any demo showing the medium or main image is going to be to that site admins settings. They can be greater or smaller than what you would set.

Yes, understood. We are working on adjusting ours now.

Geiri
July 25th, 2011, 10:50 AM
For the design of PP8, I think you should focus on the photos. That is what this is about, photos!

Take a look here:

500px is Photography (http://www.500px.com)

Simple, clean interface. And all the focus is on the photos.

Their pages for the individual photos are great too:
500px / Photo "SC State Fair" by Paul Gowder (http://500px.com/photo/931759)

Very similar to your PP8 demo you linked to. But make the photo even larger!

That site looks very nice. Big buttons and easy to see everything and navigate

Geiri
July 25th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Nice to see how the 500px is Photography (http://500px.com) works with fb code

<meta property="fb:app_id" content="24324666158" />

<meta name="description" content="Photo portfolio of Axel Hildebrandt on 500px. ">
<meta property="og:title" content="Northern Hawk Owl by Axel Hildebrandt"/>
<meta property="og:type" content="article"/>
<meta property="og:url" content="http://500px.com/photo/1272302"/>
<meta property="og:image" content="http://photos.500px.com/1272302/3"/>
<meta property="og:site_name" content="500px"/>
<meta property="og:description" content=""/>

<link rel="canonical" href="http://500px.com/photo/1272302" />

Would love to see this in Photoshop

pgowder
July 28th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Here's another site to look at for ways to do the interface. Have you seen how Google+ handles photos?

xtremetoonz
July 31st, 2011, 03:05 AM
500px clone would be amazing.

Photopost sometimes tries to put 10 bunnies in a 5 bunny sack. Simplified, streamlined, large buttons, css--ajax/html5/jquery will be nice add-ins. I want to post everything I'd like to see changed, kept the same from features to

Even on the recent examples available, i.e. extreme fitness--the side thumbnails available, if i click one, the entire page reloads and seems as though we're performing the same queries again. I would think that the page would load once, then click the right hand preview thumb, and only load that in the main frame--not the whole page.

http://notbusy.com/a/pictures/d/2007_Arnold_Classic_-_Figure_Prejudging_-_Round_1_-_ExtremeFitness_Photo_Galleries-20110731-180915.jpg

I think finding a nice harmony of new/old would be good--you can't change things too much, for those of us that have integrated/coded against existing. However, if the changes are significant and worth moving to, I don't think you'd see many complaints. I'd even get away from incorporating vbulletin and just use the built in comment features and stock forum.

Chuck S
July 31st, 2011, 10:35 AM
That is always the challenge most do not understand. It is a balance. You have vbulletin users screaming to go this way and others saying to go this way but we need to be compliant and work in all the integrations we support as well as be true to our own code.

Some examples I have seen are proprietary code for a specific site. It is all about investigating what can be done. PhotoPost 8 will be a step off release kind of like vb4 was for vbulletin. There is alot of backend changes to help us make other changes in future releases. You will not see everything one wants in one release.

Geiri
July 31st, 2011, 10:32 PM
I would like to see the option to hide Exif info

Chuck S
August 1st, 2011, 09:09 AM
Isn't this already in the product. ;)

There has been ajax for exif for some time now. The exif does not display unless you click the exif link otherwise it is hidden from display using ajax.

Geiri
August 1st, 2011, 11:35 AM
I would like to be able to hide it again after it is shown. :)

Alfa1
November 28th, 2011, 08:23 PM
When you go to a category with subcategories, the 'recent images' function shows images from all categories, while it would be more logical and intuitive if it would show latest images from that particular category.

When you go to a category without subcategories, the category menu completely disappears. This behavior comes across as confusing. The user expects a navigation to be present there.

I would like to suggest, to add a treeview Jquery tree menu (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/treeview/index.htm) for categories. This would enhance the look and feel of PP Pro and should be simple to add.

Geiri
December 2nd, 2011, 08:40 PM
Hi,

Is PP-Pro 8 beta versions available?

In download area

jdougher
August 14th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Did any of the more ambitious feature suggestions actually make it into version 8? When I look at it, I see additional social bookmarking tie-ins, but I don't see a radical (and perhaps much needed) interface overhaul. I'm left fairly underwhelmed, in fact.

Chuck S
August 14th, 2013, 07:59 PM
Are you serious! The 8 series has had complete style/template overhaul and is completely table free and html 5 compliant. html 5 only became the norm in December of 2012 so we are actually ahead of most apps in the validation and support of the latest standard.

A community photo gallery - Omegatron Photo Gallery (http://www.omegatron.net/test)

The feature additions added in the different series 8 releases are all exactly what customers have asked for including photo tagging enhanced xenforo integration etc.

pgowder
August 15th, 2013, 08:58 AM
Are you serious! The 8 series has had complete style/template overhaul and is completely table free and html 5 compliant. html 5 only became the norm in December of 2012 so we are actually ahead of most apps in the validation and support of the latest standard.

A community photo gallery - Omegatron Photo Gallery (http://www.omegatron.net/test)

The feature additions added in the different series 8 releases are all exactly what customers have asked for including photo tagging enhanced xenforo integration etc.
Tagging?

That's great. I was one of the people that really wanted that. But this is the first I've heard of it. Wish I would have known, we've been building a new photo gallery for our site.

Where can I see this featured demoed?

Chuck S
August 15th, 2013, 09:17 AM
I posted in any tagging discussion threads I found in the forum plus the the announcements here have it listed under the release announcements and there are example sites.

You need to register a test account to post a tag

Cedar House restored, sealed with Almond & Stain - Omegatron Photo Gallery (http://www.omegatron.net/test/showphoto.php?photo=31&title=cedar-house-restored-2c-sealed-with-almond-26amp-3b-stain&cat=2)

pgowder
August 15th, 2013, 02:52 PM
I posted in any tagging discussion threads I found in the forum plus the the announcements here have it listed under the release announcements and there are example sites.

You need to register a test account to post a tag

Cedar House restored, sealed with Almond & Stain - Omegatron Photo Gallery (http://www.omegatron.net/test/showphoto.php?photo=31&title=cedar-house-restored-2c-sealed-with-almond-26amp-3b-stain&cat=2)

Checking it out now.

Do you have some documentation about how it works?

What other new features are in 8?

pgowder
August 15th, 2013, 02:55 PM
I'm trying to use the demo now. None of my tags are saved.

Is there a way to see all the tags globally? So I can see all the photos of John Doe?

Chuck S
August 15th, 2013, 03:26 PM
If your tagging a photo's photo take note they need to approve your photo tags.

Cedar House restored, sealed with Almond & Stain - Omegatron Photo Gallery (http://www.omegatron.net/test/showphoto.php?photo=31)

pgowder
August 15th, 2013, 03:27 PM
If your tagging a photo's photo take note they need to approve your photo tags.

Cedar House restored, sealed with Almond & Stain - Omegatron Photo Gallery (http://www.omegatron.net/test/showphoto.php?photo=31)

You should have something that says that. I just thought it was an error.

What about my other questions?

Chuck S
August 15th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Not sure what you mean there. Just like facebook tags on a photo are shown when viewing the photo and you click the tag it highlights the area.

That is the functionality users asked for and how it work.

Not sure what you mean by showing tags globally when tags are specific to a specific photo.

pgowder
August 15th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Not sure what you mean there. Just like facebook tags on a photo are shown when viewing the photo and you click the tag it highlights the area.

That is the functionality users asked for and how it work.

Not sure what you mean by showing tags globally when tags are specific to a specific photo.

So that I can click on a link for John Doe and see all of his photos. That's how it works on FB.

Chuck S
August 15th, 2013, 03:42 PM
There are links to see all a users photos already in the application.

Not sure what your doing but the way facebook works is how our photo tagging works from what I am seeing.

Example

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151037377337954&set=t.692666455&type=3&theater

Hover over my name you will definately see where the tag is. If I click my name I go to my facebook profile.

No tag goes to all photos with the tag from what I see in the example I am showing.

Anyway the tagging works as shown.

pgowder
August 15th, 2013, 03:45 PM
There are links to see all a users photos already in the application.

Not sure what your doing but the way facebook works is how our photo tagging works from what I am seeing.

Example

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151037377337954&set=t.692666455&type=3&theater

Hover over my name you will definately see where the tag is. If I click my name I go to my facebook profile.

No tag goes to all photos with the tag from what I see in the example I am showing.

Anyway the tagging works as shown.

Yes and from the profile I can see all the photos of that person.

Since you aren't linking to a profile, how could someone find all the photos they are tagged in?

Chuck S
August 15th, 2013, 03:54 PM
I am merely showing you an example of how facebook tagging is and how ours is. I show them as working the same with my examples.

The tags are displayed on a photo and you click it and it shows you the tag.

Showing all a users photos has nothing to do with tagging.

To see all a users photos you can click the link in there profile in the gallery and all there usernames in the gallery are profile links. When you view the members gallery and go into there galllery you see all there photos.

I am just saying the two very different features your talking about are just that very different features both exist in the application just not together. It does not work like that on facebook either. In facebook I need to click my photos link to see my photos. Clicking a tag on a photo does not bring up all my photos. That is all I am saying as you seem to think by your posting you expect this to happen instead of how it does.

pgowder
August 15th, 2013, 03:55 PM
I am merely showing you an example of how facebook tagging is and how ours is. I show them as working the same with my examples.

The tags are displayed on a photo and you click it and it shows you the tag.

Showing all a users photos has nothing to do with tagging.

To see all a users photos you can click the link in there profile in the gallery and all there usernames in the gallery are profile links. When you view the members gallery and go into there galllery you see all there photos.

I am just saying the two very different features your talking about are just that very different features both exist in the application just not together. It does not work like that on facebook either. In facebook I need to click my photos link to see my photos. Clicking a tag on a photo does not bring up all my photos. That is all I am saying as you seem to think by your posting you expect this to happen instead of how it does.

I don't want to see the photos a person uploaded. I want to see all the photos a person is tagged in. That is what my users are asking for.

Chuck S
August 15th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Well feel free to make a suggestion in the suggestions forum. I am just saying that is not how photo tagging works on any example I have seen on the net. I added photo tagging which lots of customers asked for. Making some link to see all photos someone has been tagged in might require a separate script or function and then how to present that where etc is another story. Feel free to post your thoughts in whatever suggestion thread you make.

pgowder
August 15th, 2013, 04:31 PM
BunkOne.com also has this implemented and works great!

It is for parents to see their child's photo at camp. I can click on a link and see all the photos my daughter is in.

Chuck S
August 15th, 2013, 04:35 PM
I am sure you can find some site that has this functionality. ;)

I have never heard of BunkOne.com

I am just saying that photo tagging was added to our application works as most normal sites that have it like facebook flickr etc.

Feel free to look over or provide examples and details to your thoughts etc in any suggestion thread my friend that you make for any future functionality you want us to add.

pgowder
August 15th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Well feel free to make a suggestion in the suggestions forum. I am just saying that is not how photo tagging works on any example I have seen on the net. I added photo tagging which lots of customers asked for. Making some link to see all photos someone has been tagged in might require a separate script or function and then how to present that where etc is another story. Feel free to post your thoughts in whatever suggestion thread you make.

For a website owner, tagging is a great way to generate traffic. But without a way for the user to be notified or find all of their tags quickly, it won't generate much interest. With FB you are notified of a tag, you can see all the photos you are tagged in. That generates page views!

I'll be honest, this again is another example of PhotoPost being very behind. There have been plugins for wordpress, for example, that could add this functionality as you have done it for years.

I was hoping the next version of photopost would catch up and go above other sites.

As I said eariler, I've ended up building my own photo site. We are almost finished with tagging the way I am describing.

Chuck S
August 15th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Users are notified via email and or messaging there photos have been tagged. That is standard.

You still have not shown me where in facebook you can see all photos your tagged in as it is definately not the photo page that I showed which we designed tagging off of. Our photo page works as far as tagging exactly as the facebook example I showed.

We are not behind we are the only true table free html 5 compliant gallery application I know of. We offer as a gallery product more features than any gallery product I have seen and we integrate with 25 different products. No one can say that.

pgowder
August 15th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Users are notified via email and or messaging there photos have been tagged. That is standard.

You aren't getting what I'm saying. The notification needs to be the person who is tagged.

pgowder
August 15th, 2013, 04:55 PM
I just went to my profile on Facebook, then click on my photos.

There is a link there "photos of you". That shows all photos I was tagged in.

And yes, that's me with Joe McNally.

Chuck S
August 15th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Okay that is fine thanks. Still like I said this was never suggested to us so therefore it was never even thought of. I can only tell you how things work. ;) I was notified of every last tag you made.

I have no problem changing things in a future version you but remember tagging on facebook is different which is why the actual tagging feature would need to be changed.

The Photo Tagging suggested to us was not just something to tag a user you can input anything you like like a road name or a color or object name. Facebook is specifically tied to hyperlink a user.

I could theoretically add a hyperlink on a photo tag if the tag is the EXACT username that exists on the site. Otherwise how we we know Paul Gowder is pgowder you follow what I am saying.

Remember Facebook or BunkOne or any site running specialized software on there own server you might never see on an application that has to be designed to work on all setups and with all integrations which to a degree does hold back some things. We can not do everything you see on every site. They run on there own setup and only have to worry about there specific setup so the sky is the limit there.

Anyway feel free like I said to post any suggestion you wish in the suggestions forum.